Menu

Mamas good with skin tones and colors - help?

BlsdMama

We have pictures on Saturday.  There are a lot of folks in this picture as it is not only our family of 13, but DH's parents, his sister and her family, his brother and his family, and so we've all had to make some concessions.

Teal.  There isn't enough teal in the picture.  The colors are browns (medium to deep), deeper shades of coral, teal.

I needed to be teal which isn't awesome because DH was given a navy shirt to wear.  (Frankly, he could rock teal.)

Help me. Please help me.  I totally realize this is a first world problem but we very rarely do pictures and *if* we get the opportunity to just do our family then I'd prefer they look decent.

Can I even do teal with navy?  Do I beg for brown for him?  

Currently I have a teal mock turtleneck and I layered with either a fitted brown button down and warmed it up with a chunky necklace that has gold/rust/teal/corally red in it.  It doesn't match him, but it looks decent on me.  Or I could go find a teal sweater.  I have no idea.  I stink at this kind of thing and would prefer not to look awful.  My preference is tan/denim jacket but my sister in law is already doing this so I cannot duplicate.  

Help.

Think similar to this:

Teal Cowl Sweater

So it would be entirely solid one color.  Leaves really no way to accessorize.... But maybe that's okay.

Wow, this stuff is *so* hard for some of us folks!

That's a pretty sweater. I don't think you need to worry about accessorizing. I googled images of cowl-neck sweaters and only a few showed any accessorizing; those were simple, longer necklaces. So you could do that if you wanted, but I think with the lace in the sweater it wouldn't be necessary.

You could absolutely wear the same thing your SIL is wearing, as long as you're not seated right next to each other.  But I'd discuss it with her first so she's not offended.

Is offended or acting offended?  No, it wouldn't be acceptable and I'm really aiming for getting along, especially as my mother in law bought a lot of the tops for the kids.  She was *so* helpful and sweet and I am not going to be that one sister in law who just can't play with others and do what I was asked, lol.

• Like 1

I love teal! It's my favorite color to wear and there's a lot out there right now. I think the cowl neck is pretty and will take a good picture.

I like navy and real together, but if you get to do just your family maybe you or your husband could change for that if you would prefer a different shirt/color.

It's not the exact sweater - it's the closest I could find to what I'm thinking... I'm going to have to head back to the store today to pick up the other one. I love the idea of navy with a teal scarf. Unfortunately because of color balance I'm not allowed. Bummer.

Color balance? With that many people and that many colors? Is Marnie of the Thanksgiving letter organizing this?

• Like 3

Think similar to this:

Teal Cowl Sweater

So it would be entirely solid one color.  Leaves really no way to accessorize.... But maybe that's okay.

Wow, this stuff is *so* hard for some of us folks!

I think of teal as a little lighter/brighter and greener than the linked sweater, more like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tealwhich I think would be a more flattering color for you than the sweater.

If the picture in your avatar is you, than your coloring looks similar to mine.  I can't tell from the picture what color your eyes are; mine are brown, my hair is dark blond, and I look good in warm colors.  I can wear teal (but turquoise is better).  I would wear coral lipstick and warm brown eye shadow and it would work for me because teal and coral are complementary colors. So if it was me I'd wear the most flattering teal sweater or shirt I could find/afford and wear it with brown or dark denim/navy* bottoms and accessorize with smallish brown accessories: earrings, hair barrette, watch band, shoes etc.  and definitely coral lipstick.

*If my husband was wearing navy and husbands and wives would likely be kept together I'd choose navy bottoms.

• Like 3

You all were crazy helpful to me on this. I hit a semi local consignment shop today and those ladies knew color! I explained my problem and walked away with a navy shell, an AWESOME teal button down that looked like a denim shirt but a truly deep shade, and a scarf that brought it all together....it will look great with DH and the color will make everyone happy.

• Like 3