Menu

wood floors, how do I care for them?

Cottonwood

So far I"ve only lived in homes with tile and carpet. We just bought a house with the wood floors seen in the pic. Are they difficult to take care of? I don't know what sort of wood they are. My REaltor is trying to find out from the seller. Is water a huge concern? I mean, if something spills, as long as I clean it up right away, it's all good? Just outside the dining room door is a pool, so I'm not thrilled they chose wood there. But anyhoooooo........ Other than swiffering and sweeping, what do I need to know? A steam mop would be out of the question, right?

post-73975-0-43955800-1446948068_thumb.jpg

post-73975-0-43955800-1446948068_thumb.jpg

A second vote for the Bona system. Not expensive and so worth it. The polish does not build up a residue after a while (unlike other manufacturers). I use the Hardwood and the Laminate/Tile/Stone regularly on client's floors.

I use Bona, too but cheaper than that is a vinegar rinse with essential oils thrown in for a light scent. We re-did our floors 6 yrs ago after a house fire and I've basically spot mopped as needed since. 

When I used vinegar, I could see streaks on my dark-finished hardwood. Bona was worth it to me. :-)

Water isn't a problem on sealed wooden floors, only on the laminate board type, and even then, if you dry it up reasonably quickly you're ok.

On both types I have always used the type of foam rubber mop that you can squeeze most of the water out of. I use plain water or add vinegar and / or a drop of dish soap.

I have some laminate and some hardwood. There is a bond product for each of them. I use microfiber cloths on my swifter to dust them, using a vacuum to,pick up the crumbs.

Bona or LOC in warm water if th level,of dirt calls for it. I have lots of little people,in my life.

I've tried a ton of wood floor products and agree that Bona works best for me too. In my ideal world, I would sweep or vacuum daily and mop once a week. In my real world, I sweep or vacuum weekly and mop once a month.

Also, when mopping, go with the grain of the wood, not against it. Streaks are less visible that way.

So far I"ve only lived in homes with tile and carpet. We just bought a house with the wood floors seen in the pic. Are they difficult to take care of? I don't know what sort of wood they are. My REaltor is trying to find out from the seller. Is water a huge concern? I mean, if something spills, as long as I clean it up right away, it's all good? Just outside the dining room door is a pool, so I'm not thrilled they chose wood there. But anyhoooooo........ Other than swiffering and sweeping, what do I need to know? A steam mop would be out of the question, right?

Pretty!  I damp mop once in awhile.  

Bona here too.  My whole house is hardwood and laminate.  We have a dog, and our house is grand central station for teenagers.  Spills, mud, you name it, have been on this floor with no major issues.  My biggest piece of advice is to just be OK with scratches.  Wood floors wear, but in my opinion it is part of the charm.  

After living with only wood floors, I now find the idea of carpet gross, lol.

I sweep, I have a vacume that has a hardwood attachment.  I have a swiffer dusting thing, that is different than what a broom does I discovered. And every now and then I use a wet swiffer/bona thing-y.  But not that often.  Mostly I just sweep when it gets too gritty.

It is NOT a lot of work, nor does it require spending a lot of money. And, honestly, it doesn't require a lot of cleaning. I am sooo not a housekeeper and it doesn't stress me out at all.

And NO worries when a kid or a cat barfs or a guest spills a glass of wine. I love it! 

It depends on how they're finished.  One of my houses had dark stained oak floors finished with polyurethane.  Vinegar and water worked beautifully on them.  My current house has engineered hardwood floors, which have a clear acrylic finish over oak.  Vinegar and water leaves spots.  Murphy's Oil Soap leaves a sticky residue.  A tiny bit of blue Dawn in a bucket of water works beautifully, as long as I dry the floor afterward.  Bona is wonderful, but more expensive than Dawn.

• Like 1