Menu

Cat People...

*Updated in post #15

Hi everyone, I haven't been around too much, but I know that I can always come here with my life questions. :)

Sorry this is kind of long, but hoping someone here might have some advice. So, we have a cat that is about 6 years old. She was a stray that we took in and have had her now for about 4 years. Been perfect cat up to this point. Just recently she seems to be having a bladder issue. We went to the doctor a week ago and had a urine sample done (no stones or crystals) and she was given a shot at the vet (forget what it was, maybe an antibiotic?), and then a steroid that she's been on the last week. The steroid has gone from every day to every other day and it's been a good 24 hours since she's had it and I'm starting to see all her symptoms coming back. She's desperately trying to pee but having trouble. (A little does come out.) She also is peeing/spraying against walls - not like she's intending to spray, but almost like it's the only way she can get something out. She is going to the litterbox almost constantly, trying to pee. She is eating, drinking, and eliminating fine. In full disclosure, I have to say that we did recently get a new puppy (we already have two other dogs), which the vet said could be causing an upset in her. In all fairness, my gut says that isn't what this is. I really don't think she is trying to be naughty when she is peeing on the walls.. She tries to go in the litterbox. She's not acting fearful or different in attitude toward us or the puppy. She is very obviously in pain/discomfort. I have a call into the vet; I know they are going to recommend a very expensive food (I think it's a Rx Science Diet?) which I am wililng to try.  Anyone BTDT with a similar issue? Thoughts?

ETA: Removed information that isn't pertinent to what I'm really asking.

This is exactly what was happening with one of my cats and truly, the only thing that cleared it up was the Prescription Diet c/d (I think it is c/d). I've since put all the cats on the prescription food because it is that good.

the Prescription Diet c/d (I think it is c/d).

Thanks for answering - can you elaborate what is c/d? Is that part of the brand name or the type of food? Sorry I don't know!

Thanks for answering - can you elaborate what is c/d? Is that part of the brand name or the type of food? Sorry I don't know!

There are different types of Prescription Diet to treat different issues.  C/d is the general health/urinary health type.

There are different types of Prescription Diet to treat different issues.  C/d is the general health/urinary health type.

Oh, thanks. I am on their website now and I see that.

Also, if it is a money issue (which I totally understand!), do the dry food, not the wet food.  The wet food just wasn't enough to make a different for my cat.  Also, you might try going to Petsmart to get it (get your vet to write out a prescription then to to a Petsmart with a Banfield vet to register your prescription).  Petsmart tends to have decent sales and coupons for that food.  At least mine does.  Just a thought.

My cat who is almost 9 had several blockages about 4 years ago. What you are describing sounds like maybe an infection if there are no crystals. Sometimes he is still prone to infections but usually I will see some blood and he goes on an antibiotic and that helps. Our cat finally had to have the PU surgery so hopefully he will never block again but it's a hard thing to go through. He is on Royal Canin Urinary SO which is also a prescription diet. All of our cats have to be on it to since I can't chance him eating anything else. It does tend to make them fat though. It's expensive a large bag is over $70 and we go through a bag every month and a half with five cats. But it beats the price of the visit to the vet and all the pain that comes with it. The food is high in sodium which causes them to drink more which helps prevent any infections and blockages.

I hope your kitty heals quickly. Blockages are urgent so hopefully they will get back to you quickly. :grouphug:

Did they do blood work?  Make sure they check kidney and liver function.  While I agree that spraying is an emotional issue, going constantly to the litter box is not.  I would argue that point.  Kidney infections or disease, might not show up on urine tests alone.  They need to check the function and her white blood cell count.

• Like 1

I think you need to call the vet again and let them know what you told us. If it's a blockage issue, it can be life threatening because she cannot eliminate her urine. It usually happens in males, though.

Call them right away to be sure so she doesn't have to suffer until Monday (lots of vets are closed Sunday.) Hopefully they're open today...

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give an update that I spoke with my vet this morning. The cat is not what she would consider blocked, although obviously having a problem, so we are starting her on the new food (it is the Royal Canin Urinary SO) and we are going to continue the steroid for a bit as she transitions to the new food. She said at this point, it sounds like she could have some stones (which I thought they had checked for, but I guess it was just the crystals) and if that doesn't clear things up, we'll proceed with some xrays and bloodwork.

I really apologize if my original post last night sounded crass. My (human) daughter has been extremely ill, one of my dogs was ill, and this cat. (They all came down with things after we got the puppy, of course, or we may not have gotten this puppy!!!) I've just been a little stressed and a little tired, and I didn't mean for my OP to sound heartless. We're not kicking the cat to the curb, although I know my OP may have sounded like that. We had a vet many years ago when we were first married that really took us for all we were worth with a cat that ended up passing anyway.  A really bad experience and we didn't have pets for a long time after that. I'm a little sketchy about vets, but after my extensive conversation with my vet this morning, I feel like she has the cat's best interest in mind, not just trying to get our money. Mea culpa.

If the vet did a urinalysis he/she was checking for bacteria and crystals.  An x-ray is needed to check for stones.  My male cat had a persistent UTI once years ago.  We x-rayed for stones but he didn't have any.  I kept him on canned Royal Canin SO for awhile.  I think it was probably a year or a little less.  I would have kept him on it, but he decided he didn't want to eat it any more.  So I switched him back to non-prescription canned food.  He's never had another urinary issue and it's been about seven or eight years since that first one.  I hope your cat does as well!

• Like 1