Menu

Anybody Watch The Great British Bake Off/Great British Baking Show?

umsami

We're almost to the finals.  I'm so happy so many of my favorites are in the finals. :) :)  I would have loved to have a piece of Opera cake....but I'd want the traditional coffee/chocolate version.  I loved the looks of Frances' cake, but the Bannoffee sounded like it would be good (wasn't), and Ruby's apparently tasted the best.   I'd be happy if anybody won.  I like everybody in the finals.

• Like 1

Meeeeee!

The series you are watching on PBS is from two years ago, 2013. That was such a fun year. My favorite contestant was Kimberly.

ds2 and I are seriously addicted. But I actually have a subscription to tunnel bear so we can watch the shows in real time on the BBC.  From August to October it is a MAJOR topic of discussion in this house. 

Last years series (2014) is currently streaming on Netflix.  The 2015 series just ended last month.

• Like 4

We're almost to the finals. I'm so happy so many of my favorites are in the finals. :) :) I would have loved to have a piece of Opera cake....but I'd want the traditional coffee/chocolate version. I loved the looks of Frances' cake, but the Bannoffee sounded like it would be good (wasn't), and Ruby's apparently tasted the best. I'd be happy if anybody won. I like everybody in the finals.

We've been watching the same one. Kimberly seemed so confident in this last episode. Ruby just squeaked by. My boys are enjoying the show too.

I wonder how the judges can taste so much. Surely they must need to drink water between bites of different foods. Maybe they just don't show that.

• Like 1

Meeeeee!

The series you are watching on PBS is from two years ago, 2013. That was such a fun year. My favorite contestant was Kimberly.

ds2 and I are seriously addicted. But I actually have a subscription to tunnel bear so we can watch the shows in real time on the BBC.  From August to October it is a MAJOR topic of discussion in this house. 

Last years series (2014) is currently streaming on Netflix.  The 2015 series just ended last month.

I love Kimberly.  She makes such interesting things that almost always taste wonderful.  I like Ruby too, but I hate how she's so negative towards herself....yet it might be her age. 

I love that Nadya won this year and I can't wait to see it in a few years.  

Saw the GBBO on Netflix but I assumed it was last year's PBS season. Thanks for letting me know it isn't :) 

We just watched...I think Season 1 on Netflix. I wish they would add more seasons! Our whole family enjoyed it. I really like the dynamic between the contestants. Everyone is kind towards each other and only have nice things to say. I am not sure if it is editing or truly that way. I hope the rest of the seasons continue this way. I like it SO much better than the Food Network shows. Also, the two judges are much more kind, yet honest than any of the judges on Food Network. To me, it is just so much more about the food and skills of the contestants.

Yes! It's so different than American shows.  They are actually nice and normal to each other.  Not everybody is overconfident and such.  I'd say Mary is kind...Paul can be a bit critical...but not nearly as bad as US judges. I also like how they'll give tips and talk about how to fix what was wrong or whatever.

I love how the two hosts will sometimes help the contestants hold a bowl, or whatever.  

We've been watching the same one. Kimberly seemed so confident in this last episode. Ruby just squeaked by. My boys are enjoying the show too.

I wonder how the judges can taste so much. Surely they must need to drink water between bites of different foods. Maybe they just don't show that.

Yes, I didn't know if Ruby would go or Becca.  I think Ruby survived because her appetizers were good and her Opera tasted the best. 

We just watched...I think Season 1 on Netflix. I wish they would add more seasons! Our whole family enjoyed it. I really like the dynamic between the contestants. Everyone is kind towards each other and only have nice things to say. I am not sure if it is editing or truly that way. I hope the rest of the seasons continue this way. I like it SO much better than the Food Network shows. Also, the two judges are much more kind, yet honest than any of the judges on Food Network. To me, it is just so much more about the food and skills of the contestants.

It's season 1 on Netflix, but it was actually the 5th year of the series. I don't know why they don't have all the previous years series but they don't.  The series 1-4 showed on BBC2 and series 5 and now 6 showed on BBC1, which is sort of a more 'prestigious' channel? I guess?  I think BBC1 is where they show their 'top' shows, like Doctor Who.  It was a big deal when GBBO got moved from 2 to 1. 

Last year PBS showed series 5 shortly after it aired in the UK, sort of like how they show Downton Abby or Sherlock. It was a bigger hit than they expected.  They have recently been airing series 4 but calling it season 2, when it actually comes before what they showed last winter.  It makes no sense to me, lol.  But, I think they painted themselves into a corner when they called series 5 series 1.

The judges are Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood and I adore them both. You can find lots of recipes from both on the BBC website and Mary Berry has her own site.  She is an institution of baking.  I admire her so much. The more I learn about her life story the more I admire her.  She made it in the business and publishing world, at a time when she had to fight for every inch just by virtue of being a woman.  She is a trained cook and knows her stuff. And she really values cooking for your family, what that means to a family.  I thought Paul was a "pretty face' sort of restaurant owner when I first saw him in action.  I didn't think he was a cook. Then I saw one of his cooking shows.  That man knows his way around a loaf a bread like no one else. I have total respect for his opinion.  To watch him knead two loaves of bread, one with each hand, is amazing. 

They have follow up classes on BBC called "Master Class with Paul and Mary" and the two of them make either the technical challenges or the show stoppers. It is so much fun to see them cook together.  They really do love each other.  They tease and snark at each other like true friends.  They are quite a pair.  Paul can be a real baby and Mary knows just how to gently tweak him to get him going, lol.

If you are twitter or instagram, lots of the contestants have accounts and share pictures of bakes or recipes etc. 

And yes, the kindness shown between contestants is real. They are often tweeting between each other years after the show.  And I am often seeing pictures posted of them having family get togethers etc.

Ok, I am so embarrassed.  I am a real baking geek...and a Bake Off geek.  Feel free to laugh at me.

But... I urge you to check out Mary's "Lemon Drizzle traybake" which is a cake you make in a 9X14 pan.  It is super easy, a great 'weekday' cake and so good!  I am trying not to eat a whole one right now, lol. 

• Like 4

It's season 1 on Netflix, but it was actually the 5th year of the series. I don't know why they don't have all the previous years series but they don't.  The series 1-4 showed on BBC2 and series 5 and now 6 showed on BBC1, which is sort of a more 'prestigious' channel? I guess?  I think BBC1 is where they show their 'top' shows, like Doctor Who.  It was a big deal when GBBO got moved from 2 to 1. 

Not more prestigious: more mainstream.  BBC2 traditionally has more niche programming: science, plays, nature shows, gardening, music, cookery...  Now there's another channel that is higher culture as well.

• Like 3

Not more prestigious: more mainstream.  BBC2 traditionally has more niche programming: science, plays, nature shows, gardening, music, cookery...  Now there's another channel that is higher culture as well.

Thanks.  I thought maybe more prestigious because I was seeing articles written like "GBBO has really hit the big time so they put it on BBC1" or things like that. It made me think it was more of a prestige thing.

We also never miss an episode of 'extra slice' on BBC2.  My kids love Jo Brand now. Her silly humor works very well for my 15 year old.

• Like 3

If you like cooking shows and BBC cooking shows, I would suggest you check out youtube etc for The Hairy Bikers.  They have been on for years, and we only just tuned in.  They have one of those travel and cook shows right now, but I know they have been cooking on BBC for a long time.  My sons LOVE them now.

Not as much as Paul and Mary though.  Those two are right up there with Doctor Who as icons as far as my boys are concerned.  My older boy does a seriously good Paul impersonation.

• Like 1

I'm a fan and have binge-watched several seasons on youtube. It's been awhile since I last watched so I can't remember if the more recent seasons have included the history bits but they were always so interesting.

Where do you find the seasons on you tube? I began watching the show on BBC when I lived in China a couple of years ago. I am watching the current PBS one, but I would like to watch more seasons.

Where do you find the seasons on you tube? I began watching the show on BBC when I lived in China a couple of years ago. I am watching the current PBS one, but I would like to watch more seasons.

It's been awhile but I just searched on youtube for British Baking Show. Possibly those I viewed have since been deleted? They weren't the best quality so I'm sure they're not official show videos.

The girls and I started watching last year.  We love it.  I wish they would show the more current seasons!  I saw that it was on Netflix, but just the US versions right now.   :(

My ODD wants to make all the elaborate dishes and I'm like... have fun, kid! I'm not helping you; I know my limits!

The girls and I started watching last year.  We love it.  I wish they would show the more current seasons!  I saw that it was on Netflix, but just the US versions right now.   :(

My ODD wants to make all the elaborate dishes and I'm like... have fun, kid! I'm not helping you; I know my limits!

What is showing on Netflix is the BBC Great British Bake off season 5 from 2014. It isn't a US version..or are the little travel bits taken out?  The baking is all the same, for sure. 

If you are looking on Youtube search for it by the proper name "Great British Bake off".  It can't be called 'bake off' because Pillsbury owns the name as a trademark and won't let anyone else use the word in any other circumstances. 

There was an attempt a couple years ago to try a US version and Paul was a judge, but it didn't catch on and it was gone after one season. I never heard of it when it happened.  There is also bakeoffs in Australia, Ireland, a few other countries, all based on GBBO

>>>>>Spin Off in Thread>>>>>>>

Have you ever made any of the GBBO recipes or Paul and Mary's recipes?

(I want to try the lemon tray bake mentioned above.)

I have baked some stuff by Mary.  I found a cookbook by Paul at a used bookstore. But, it was his first, and it is always tricky when cookbooks have been translated from UK to US.  The conversion from metric and weight to cups and volume is tricky at best.  Anyway, the book had a lot of criticism on Amazon, so I have been hesitant to try anything.  I have pulled a couple from the BBC food site, and am planning to give at least his cherry chocolate bread a shot this winter. 

I am a fairly experienced baker, I even took a class locally in French pastry making, so I have made puff pastry and macaroons and eclairs etc.  I haven't done it in a while, but I have done it.

DS2 is begging for a princess cake for his birthday so I guess that is going to happen.  It's not that difficult,  just a lot of parts for a cake.

I haven't tried any recipes from the contestants.

My favorite baker/baking cookbook person is Dorie Greenspan.  She is my hands down favorite.

• Like 1

I love Dorie Greenspan.  Her French cookbook (not the baking one....I think something like "From my Home to Yours") is wonderful.

The princess cake from last season looked so yummy...but then again....I love almond.  Almond anything.  Yum. :)  

We have been watching the show since the first episode. My dd is seriously addicted to the show and owns a collection of the cookbooks. We have had most of the spin off ones from the library also. We prefer the ones actually created from the show to the Paul Hollywood ones (not sure why) but Mary Berry cookbooks are always great. I think the secret to cooking the British recipes is a good set of digital scales and using British measurements. That traybake recipe is dd's favourite.

• Like 1