Menu

cleaner

Melissa in Australia

So I have a cleaner who comes for 2 hours a week.

Today she suggested she rearrange the bookshelves so they look more pleasing to the eye :svengo:  :svengo: :svengo:  :svengo:  No! No! No!.

I have the books all arranged . On some shelves they are in reading list order according to history year of study.

other shelves are arranged according to topic. Some shelves are my reference books, and some shelves are DH's books. If they are rearranged I would never be able to find a book again.

Sure books would look neater if arranged according to colour and size but that is not functional AT ALL.

The cleaner is being funded by DHS as a sort of respite for me because the twins are so high needs and I was getting so stressed. I am  finding having a cleaner sort of stressful as I declutter,/ tidy house all the day before she comes by shoving everything into my room, then as soon as she has gone I put everything back in place again. I wouldn't want the cleaner to find the house messy or anything :o

She doesn't do any of the bedrooms, just the rest of the house.

We know people whose house keeper unpacked their books for them before they got to the new house . Those carefully organized boxes of books were put on shelves by color and size never to be organized again! It was a mess. Have her clean the bathrooms and mop the kitchen. ;)

• Like 2

Can't she just spend 2 hours sweeping, mopping, vacuuming and cleaning the baths?

No rearranging books. Ugh. No rearranging anything. Just what's there and leave it where found.

That is what I was hoping for.

But she is such an enthusiastic cleaner that she gets the vacuuming, mopping and bathrooms done in 1 1/2 hours ( no bedrooms). Then she does some dusting and starts rearranging a few minor things then asks if she can reorganize as she is a great organizer. :huh:

I think I will make a list of extra tasks for if she has run out of things to do and would like something else to do. Possibly wipe light switches, window sills and cupboard doors, possibly clean a shelf of the fridge or something like that. The reason she doesn't do any bedrooms is all the kids do their own and don't want anyone to go into their room. I do the laundry every day and fins the hanging of the laundry relaxing, so I am not giving it up.

• Like 1

How about cleaning out the fridge?  Linen closets?  Bathroom cabinets?

Our cleaners always move everything and put stuff back in the wrong places, backwards and upside down.  :P  I've gotten used to it, but I'm glad they only come about once a month.

• Like 1

Organize the junk drawer, spice cabinet, storage containers, pots an pans, pantry, clean and organize refrigerator. Don't touch the books.

Way back when I had money Ihad a cleaner biweekly. She vacuumed the bedtooms-- it was a way to make sure they were actually following through on picking up in their rooms. They had to put stuff away so she could vacuum. That's probably not the argument you want to start.

• Like 1

That is what I was hoping for.

But she is such an enthusiastic cleaner that she gets the vacuuming, mopping and bathrooms done in 1 1/2 hours ( no bedrooms). Then she does some dusting and starts rearranging a few minor things then asks if she can reorganize as she is a great organizer. :huh:

I think I will make a list of extra tasks for if she has run out of things to do and would like something else to do. Possibly wipe light switches, window sills and cupboard doors, possibly clean a shelf of the fridge or something like that. The reason she doesn't do any bedrooms is all the kids do their own and don't want anyone to go into their room. I do the laundry every day and fins the hanging of the laundry relaxing, so I am not giving it up.

Can you send her to my house when she is finished?

• Like 1

Repeat after me:

"No thanks! This is very functional for us. Please help me with ________ over here..."

Make that list of extra tasks and insist, as many times as needed, against her laying one enthusiastic digit on your bookshelves. That is very personal.