Menu

Tell me how you color your hair with henna or other natural

JadeOrchidSong

I have Asian hair, black, or very dark brown. Gray is growing to a point that plucking will make me bald. :-). I would like to try all natural color ways before I resort to chemicals.

So can you educate me how to use henna for Asian hair? Also if you use other natural elements than henna, what do you use?

how often do you color? How many hours does each session take? Links to the henna you use? Do you need to use special shampoo to protect the color?

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been using Lush Henna (Caca Noir shade) for a few years. I love it, except for the fact that I need to grate the block every time and that's just exhausting. If you do decide on Lush, I can share some tips, but your best option is to read the reviews, since their tips are more color specific. It's funny, since my hair is covered in henna as I type this.  :) It covers most of my grays, but not all. I love how it makes my hair feel. I don't have Asian hair. I'm Middle Eastern. I use suflate-free shampoos and I do get a keratin treatment and relaxer once or twice a year to tame my frizzies. With Lush, because of the length of my hair (chin-length), I can cut each block into thirds. It lasts me for 9 weeks. I currently use henna every 3-4 weeks, one-third of a block. I found that this method works best for me for now. Trial and error. You will find what works best for you. 

My sister's been using Surya Henna for a few years now. I'm considering moving on to that, since it's easier to use. They offer more colors, including a gorgeous Silver Fox, which I'd love to try when I'm a bit older. 

• Like 1

I'm Asian with coarser hair. It's very resistant to holding color whether henna or chemical. I used to apply it for over 8 hours and putter around the house but it was annoying to be stuck inside all day. I started applying it and sleeping with it on and covered and it has worked really well. I can't say it is the most comfortable way to sleep, but it's better then the alternative. Of course, you will need to cover your sleep area and wear old clothing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You CANNOT do a chemical dye after henna.  You must grow all of the henna dyed hair out first and cut it off before you use a chemical dye or your hair will get extremely course, dry, frizzy, and will break off after you use the chemicals.

If you want to try henna, you have to stick to it.

Update? How did it go?

Thanks for asking. I put the henna mixture on overnight on Dec. 30. Early morning on Dec, 31 I washed it off and applied indigo mixture and kept it on for 3.5 hours. The smell was bad. The result is pretty natural. My white hair looks reddish brown.

Next time I will mix henna and indigo and apply it the same time and see what it is like. I only did it one time and i am already looking forward to the day I will give up. I really don't like the mess.

Maybe one day I will just give up and use the easy chemical dye.

• Like 1

I've done Harvest Moon henna twice before and liked the result.  The first time I did it, I came down with a really, really bad headache afterward.  Seriously bad, as in, I've never had a migraine but it was like what I've heard people describe migraines to be like.  I've since learned that indigo can do that to some people.  The next time I used it, I used the same brand, but a different henna/indigo ratio and I also used a different application process.  I did get a slight headache after, but it was nowhere near as bad as the first time.

Henna does add reddish tones to the hair (basically the grays end up as reddish or even golden highlights), so if that's not the look you're after, you might try something else.

The next time I do it, I plan to try Morocco Method brand with amla powder added to it.  Allegedly the amla cools down the color so it is not as red.

I've also heard of a product called Hairprint that is made from some kind of bean extract, but I haven't tried it to tell you whether it works well.

You CANNOT do a chemical dye after henna.  You must grow all of the henna dyed hair out first and cut it off before you use a chemical dye or your hair will get extremely course, dry, frizzy, and will break off after you use the chemicals.

If you want to try henna, you have to stick to it.

According to the LUSH website, that isn't completely true, here is what it says:

6. You must be careful when dying your hair AFTER using henna.

Only after using the henna hair dye did a hairstylist tell me that you shouldn’t use any permanent dye on top of the henna. So, if you don’t like the resulting color from the henna dye, you may not have a whole lot of options in order to correct it. (This will vary by stylist– I’ve heard that some are still willing to work with post-henna-dyed hair.)

Gosh, that would have been nice to know before we got started.

Luckily, you can safely use semi-permanent dye as a temporary fix–> which means going darker, rather than lighter with your color. My stylist had to put the semi-permanent color on twice, because the first time around my henna-dyed hair didn’t absorb the color very well.

I've used Morrocco Method henna for years.  I mix it up at night, let it sit overnight, and apply it in the morning.  I leave it on for 2 hours.  They recently changed their packaging and mixing instructions, but it's still really easy to use.

It has been 18 days since I used henna and indigo to color my hair and I'm already very discouraged, not because of henna/indigo, but because of the whole coloring thing. :( my white hair root is showing 1/3 inch now. It means I need to color in a few days, though I do plan to color at the end of each month.

I guess I am in mourning for my easy, no coloring days that are no more. :-(

So how often do you need to color yours?

I am tempted to just let it grow white. But dh is a decade younger than I and I am not ready.

It has been 18 days since I used henna and indigo to color my hair and I'm already very discouraged

Sorry that you're feeling this way. Have you tried Lush Henna or Surya by any chance? They may have better results for you. Surya is easier to use. Lush is a bit more of a production. I've been very happy with it for a few years now. It doesn't cover all my grays, but it helps. Reading the reviews that are specific to the Lush color that you are interested in are very helpful. That's how I learned what to do. 

It has been 18 days since I used henna and indigo to color my hair and I'm already very discouraged, not because of henna/indigo, but because of the whole coloring thing. :( my white hair root is showing 1/3 inch now. It means I need to color in a few days, though I do plan to color at the end of each month.

I am tempted to just let it grow white. But dh is a decade younger than I and I am not ready.

I would consider going grey. There are many women who look great in grey hair. Just google grey hair images to see.

I am growing my dye out since I was tired of having to do my roots every 3 weeks to cover the grey. It is a long process depending upon your hair length but I think it will be worth it to be free from chemicals and the time consuming process of dying roots every 3 weeks. I think the texture of my hair has improved as well since I am not damaging it any more.

I know how you feel. Keeping up with grey roots is a hassle and it's even more obvious when your color is very dark.

Thanks for asking. I put the henna mixture on overnight on Dec. 30. Early morning on Dec, 31 I washed it off and applied indigo mixture and kept it on for 3.5 hours. The smell was bad. The result is pretty natural. My white hair looks reddish brown.

Next time I will mix henna and indigo and apply it the same time and see what it is like. I only did it one time and i am already looking forward to the day I will give up. I really don't like the mess.

Maybe one day I will just give up and use the easy chemical dye.[/quot8e]

Fwiw... the one that I use is a one step process since the henna and indigo is blended. I apply the mixture overnight and just rinse it out in the morning.

Maybe one day I will just give up and use the easy chemical dye.[/quot8e]

Fwiw... the one that I use is a one step process since the henna and indigo is blended. I apply the mixture overnight and just rinse it out in the morning.

Can you link the product for me? I am ready at least for one step. I will mix the henna and indigo I have on hand for one more coloring session and then go to one step coloring for good until i don't color any more. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Have you tried using a color depositing shampoo/conditioner between coloring your hair. Might just take the edge off very noticeable roots enough that it's less of a massive hassle.

• 1 month later...

I tried hairprint because of thie thread. The color is so natural, but it is messy and takes an hour and a half. The color is so nice though.

Does it really look like your natural color? This product looks so interesting? I would love to hear more details of your experience.

I have to redo the color about every 3-4 weeks , which is typical for any color on me. I use the light brown color, and it covers the grays well. I find I do leave on the last step about 5 minutes longer than required. The second time, it actually came out better than the first. Brown hair can get that artificial color look, and this looks so natural. It has stained my shower, and anything else it touches, though. You are supposed to put it on like using a spatula, not dab it on like other hair color. Definitely have oxyclean spray on hand for spills and a cape and use kitchen sprayer if you have light tile. So much work that I decided I wouldn't do it again, but after I finished, I loved the color. Haven't gotten color this nice in a salon, ever.

Edited by Silver Brook