Menu

Grammar curriculum for 5th and 3rd grade

lvmom

We've used First Language Lessons for the past two years and we are now into year 3 (book 3 for my 3rd grader and book 4 for my 5th grader). Honestly, it's a real struggle. I generally like the program. I feel that it's solid. The trouble is, we fight with the back and forthness of it...My eldest loves how Saxon math 5/4 is pretty independent. Is there a comparable grammar program where the student can navigate it independently for the most part? 

I feel that my 3rd grader is not ready for book 3 which involves a lot of sentence diagramming. Isn't that more of a Logic stage skill? I remember practicing that in 6th grade (everyday) growing up.  I've looked through Treasured Conversations but I don't like the use of full sentences for outlining. I might use the first section of it though for functional use of parts of speech.

Any ideas on grammar would be very much appreciated! 

Hake Grammar works like Saxon as the PP pointed out.  Your 3rd grader could use the 4th grade book, or as another option, you could run through Grammar Island or Town (MCT) to get a big picture view before proceeding to the 4th grade book next year.

• Like 1

Has anyone used Saxon Grammar without the spelling and writing? We already have writing and spelling we like. I am looking for something to use next year after FLL4.  So far I am seeing people recommend Analytical Grammar (or Jr. Analytical Grammar), Saxon Grammar (formerly Hake) and possibly Fix-It (although I think Fix-it does not have diagramming?)

I would be doing it with a 4th and 5th grader together. 

We just started CLE LA this year because I needed my 3rd and 4th graders to be more independent with this subject (after doing FLL for the first few levels).  It is really working well and they sit and do it themselves mostly, with a little direction from me.  It's comprehensive and has review built in.