Menu

Old Man And The Sea: is it disturbing?

Before I read this aloud to my ds15, who has HFA and is quite sensitive, does it have any disturbing parts that I could skip over? Thanks

IMHO, the whole book is disturbing. I remember being depressed by that book in high school. I think Geezle would be very upset by the unfairness of the whole thing, although that is a valuable life lesson he'll have to learn one way or another. I'm sorry, Fluffybunny, I'm rambling and I don't know if it's a good idea or not. I second Swimmermom's rec to read it yourself first.

• Like 1

Now see, I reread it recently and found a stark beauty there that I did not find before, so I didn't feel that I could comment on it.

Again, I think Mom is in the best position to make the call after she has read the book. I'll go ahead and make the blanket sexist statement that many women do not like Hemingway for many reasons, yet he often resonates with young men.

Fluffybunny, what books has your son enjoyed and what books have distressed him?

• Like 2

Now see, I reread it recently and found a stark beauty there that I did not find before, so I didn't feel that I could comment on it.

Again, I think Mom is in the best position to make the call after she has read the book. I'll go ahead and make the blanket sexist statement that many women do not like Hemingway for many reasons, yet he often resonates with young men.

Fluffybunny, what books has your son enjoyed and what books have distressed him?

I'm sure I'd experience it differently now, and I have read and enjoyed Hemingway in my 40s.  But as a 15 year old girl, I hated it.  I agree it's the kind of thing a mom should read and judge for her own kid.

Mine loved it, but we have roots in the Caribbean. DH is not a big literature guy, but he loves everything Hemingway because of the settings and how he writes. Every other year or so we go salt water fishing and snorkeling, and we know first hand about some aspects of that story.

But when I was a land-locked teen who had seen the ocean only once in San Francisco? I barely tolerated it. It is indeed somewhat "raw," but that's Hemingway and typical of the setting of the story.

I love this book. I didn't read it until i was an adult. It is definitely disturbing and there is no skipping over disturbing parts because it is the whole thing that is disturbing. However, it also holds a power and the relationship bond in it is so pure... I found it so compelling. 

This is a novella, around 100 pages. Read it yourself. I had both my kids read it, even my sensitive one. However, there is no way I would tell someone it isn't disturbing.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

That's a good question: The one thing that disturbs him more than anything is when animals or children harmed. He will totally freak out. If there's none of that in there, and the fish is not 'personified' when it gets killed, then it should be ok.

If it's 'depressive' I'll read it with a lighter tone to my voice  :p

Thanks for your replies everyone.

That's a good question: The one thing that disturbs him more than anything is when animals or children harmed. He will totally freak out. If there's none of that in there, and the fish is not 'personified' when it gets killed, then it should be ok.

DS and I read it back in (his) 6th grade, and didn't find anything disturbing.  The sea itself is personified, and the fish is the external force in the battle between the man and the sea.  He does have to eat raw fish to survive, and eventually catches the fish, treating it with great honor.  On the way back in (at night), sharks come and eat the fish off the side of his boat.  Nothing is recoverable.  Does it count as animals being harmed?  Very well could be...

Best to read it yourself ahead of time.  It is a very quick read.

The fish is a bit personified. It takes days to catch it. The man respects the fish and as I recall gives it credit for some emotions. However, you certainly don't see things from the fish's perspective, and other than the fish, no animals and no children are harmed :).

• Like 2