Menu

pain after orthodontist visit

Word Nerd

DD14 had her expander removed yesterday and the rest of her teeth bonded (she hasn't had a full set of braces until now) and everything re-wired, and she's pretty miserable today. I called the office because the pain is worse than what she's experienced before, but they said it's not unusual after as much work as the ortho did yesterday and should improve over the next few days. They said to keep using OTC pain meds but didn't offer anything prescription strength. Do you have any BTDT tips? She may be subsisting on ice cream today. :(

Yes, both of mine had a few times when it was painful for several days afterwards to the point that they complained a lot, and they're not complainers at all.

We alternated OTC pain medication, gave them ice packs, and put them on a soft, soothing diet. Not the time to insist on perfect nutrition!

When one of mine had her Herbst put in, they did give us an Rx for Tylenol with codeine. She only used that late in the day and at night for the first few days though. You may indeed need to up the level of pain control. 

• Like 2

Alternate Tylenol and ibuprofen in prescription doses, and stock up on Ensure shakes/mac and cheese/soft  canned ravioli, pudding, etc...  It is normal for ortho work.

DD14 had her expander removed yesterday and the rest of her teeth bonded (she hasn't had a full set of braces until now) and everything re-wired, and she's pretty miserable today. I called the office because the pain is worse than what she's experienced before, but they said it's not unusual after as much work as the ortho did yesterday and should improve over the next few days. They said to keep using OTC pain meds but didn't offer anything prescription strength. Do you have any BTDT tips? She may be subsisting on ice cream today. :(

• Like 1

Our orthodontist would only give my son OTC medications which weren't cutting it for the pain at all.  (My son has no pain tolerance!) After having been up almost 48 hours, we were both done.  I was about ready to cut the wires that is how desperate I was getting.  Called the ortho and he never called me back so in desperation I called my sons doctor and he got us on tylenol with codeine.  My son was asleep within an hour. The doctor was not happy with some of the orthos in town. I guess we weren't the first parents who had turned to them in desperation.  As others have said, you need to stay ahead of the pain. We switched orthos for the next child and that one offered the Tylenol with codeine without me even asking.

• Like 1

Dd14 found the braces didn't bother her at all (except the brackets rubbing) but she really struggled when the rubber spacers were placed the week before the braces went on. We went with a soft diet: puréed fruit, protein rich soup and soft bread, yoghurt. She used aspirin for the pain as I find that more effective that paracetamol or ibuprofen. ETA: I did offer my dd codeine (it's OTC here), but she found the aspirin sufficient.

• Like 1