Menu

Honey For a Child's Heart?

EKT

My library doesn't have this book, so I can't check it out before buying. Is this book worth it? Is it religious? I hear this book mentioned a lot on homeschooling blogs and such, and I'm trying to decide if I NEED to own it. I have The New York Times Guide to the Best Books for Children already. Is this book life-changing, or is it pretty much the standard list of classics, etc.? Thanks for any input! :-)

I owned several book list type books and Honey for a Child's Heart was one of my favorites.  The first half of the book talks about why quality literature for kids is important.  That is written from a Christian point of view, but I didn't find it heavy-handed.  The last half of the book is the book lists.  However,  looking back, Honey for a Teen's Heart was a much better book for us.  I had precocious, voracious readers and I needed to find quality books at higher reading levels that were appropriate for the maturity of a pre-teen. 

• Like 2

I found it underwhelming, tbh. It doesn't include any info that anyone well-versed in picture books isn't aware of, or any authors that don't make it to every best picture book list. If you just love love love booklists, yes get it, it's. Great one. But if you are just out to find books- Google it.

• Like 2

I enjoy it. I was not that familiar with good children's literature before I had my first child. So we have always used it for titles by age and to mark their initials next to what they have read. For me, it's a great resource.

• Like 1

I second the suggestion of borrowing the book through inter-library loan.  That said, I'm not religious, but I found the book a worthwhile read.

Other secular books you might enjoy that are in a similar vein:

Michele Landsberg's Reading for the Love of It: Best Books for Young Readers

(This one is a favorite.  It has a rather British vibe, so many of the choices may be less well known to you.  It's out of print.)

Jim Trelease's  The Read-Aloud Handbook: Seventh Edition

Book Crush by Nancy Pearl

Kathleen Odean's books ~ Great Books for Girls, Great Books for Boys, Great Books About Things Kids Love

Best Books for Kids Who (Think They) Hate to Read

Esmé Raji Codell's How to Get Your Child to Love Reading

Anita Silvey's 100 Best Books for Children: A Parent's Guide to Making the Right Choices for Your Young Reader, Toddler to Preteen

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2

I think it is great if you have limited access to living book suggestions at various online sites like here, AO, SCM, those Great Books websites, insert your favorite honeschool website or forum, these threads, etc... My book was well loved at 1st, but once I discovered the homeschool online world of booklists with people's comments of personal experiences with various books, I haven't touched the book. I may have given it away.

• Like 1

I checked out this book and the teenager version from my library recently.  

It just was not anything special to me.  

I loved Jim Trelease's book "The Read-Aloud Handbook" when my oldest son was little, though.  I got a lot out of it back then.

I have also read a book by Mem Fox that I really liked, that was about reading to kids.  I think it might have been Reading Magic.

The things that were really helpful to me about these two books, is that they both talked about actual read-aloud technique.  Things like ---- always have a good ending.  Make the last sentence be slow.  Or, make it be very grave.  Knock on something with your hand to make a sound effect.  Whisper sometimes.  

I think that helped me to be better at reading aloud, like more of a storyteller.  

I do agree with the author of the Honey book, that there is not much to be gained by rushing a younger child into more advanced storybooks.  I think it is fine to have some storybooks that are still age-appropriate but maybe a higher level, but I don't think there is any reason to worry too much about books being too low in level.  If they have a good story and make a connection, they can still be good.

She gets into saying "children are learning age-appropriate character lessons," kind-of.  I think it is enough that the interest and connection are there.  But I think it is a good point.

I definitely think that sometimes, books for older kids are bringing up things in a more sophisticated "let's look at both sides, let's not make it clear our opinion but let the reader reach his/her own opinion" way, and that is just not what kids need who are not that sophisticated yet.  

But I don't like rules, either, but I don't think any of these books are about making rules.  They are just some things to think about.  

• Like 2

I second the suggestion of borrowing the book through inter-library loan.  That said, I'm not religious, but I found the book a worthwhile read.

Other secular books you might enjoy that are in a similar vein...

I have the Read Aloud Handbook, but the other titles you listed were new to me. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to jot down that list! So helpful! 

• Like 1

I have the Read Aloud Handbook, but the other titles you listed were new to me. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to jot down that list! So helpful! 

You are quite welcome!  For a very long time, I loved to read books about books.  I still do, but perhaps my focus is less on children's books these days.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1