Menu

Australian History? Other history? Something like Galore Park History for Common Entrance?

DD10 and I have decided to get history from some different world views in the middle school years when we don't have specific boxes that have to be checked, rather than doing more US history or another chronological trip through World history right now. This year, we bought the Key Stage 3 books from Galore Park, and DD is quite enjoying British History. She was watching a Crocodile Hunter this morning (Animal planet has put some on demand while Bindi is on Dancing with the Stars) that mentioned Australia during WWII and led to questions on whether we could do a year of Australian history next. Is there a similar publisher to Galore Park where I could buy their middle school textbooks and use them as a place to start?

Also, edited to add-if anyone has other good books from a non-USA, but still written in English worldview that covers history from that POV for the 11-13 age group, I'd appreciate it.

I have actually looked into this! Unfortunately the textbooks are for a little older age than the Galore Park but as I recall your dd is a pretty fine reader. 

You can find grades 7-10 texts from Cambridge University Press -- http://cambridge.edu.au/go/series/?pid=50

There is more information about them here -- http://history.cass.anu.edu.au/australiancurriculum

Grade 7 is ancients, 8 goes through the Renaissance, 9 through world war I, and then 10 to the present day. 

And a follow up-is there anything online that would be good to work through for History from an Australian worldview? DD10 is currently working through the AU version of IntoScience "for fun" and is quite enjoying the differences between Northern and Southern Hemisphere, so if there are similar online supplements for history, that might be a good addition, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Try http://www.readyed.net/product-category/products/humanities-social-science/history/ It has Australian History in downloadable PDF textbooks that they teach in the schools here.  I use them and they work fine.

Another book I highly recommend is one that I just used for my University course but it would be fine for an advanced reader to pick through - First Australians by Perkins and Langton or as an alternative Aboriginal Australia by Richard Broome

There is also  

History of Australia: understanding what makes Australia the place it is today / by Lindsay Marsh.

and

and

Australians all : a history of growing up, from the Ice Age to the Apology / Nadia Wheatley ; illustrated by Ken Searle