Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW39: book news

Robin M

Does this mean you've now finished the challenge?  If so, hurrah!

Regards,

Kareni

I felt like it was taking forever... eight letters is a lot.  It was a little hard to find a good book for each letter.  I read other books in between, but I only like to designate one for Book a Week.

:)

• Like 6

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for my next movie review. Dh & I saw Everest tonight. (7.4 out of 10 stars on imdb.)

Prior to going tonight, I hadn't seen any commercials or previews for it. I wasn't sure if it was going to be about the tragedy on Everest as covered in the book Into Thin Air or if it was going to be about a different tragedy. Fairly early in the movie, 'Jon Krakauer' was introduced as a character & I knew it was about the same days covered in Into Thin Air. I love the book Into Thin Air. It's one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read. I also saw the National Geographic Imax documentary (years ago) made during the same time as Krakauer's book. (The Nat'l Geo group was on the mountain then, but they were not trying to summit that day & were not a part of the tragic circumstances, though they did have to weather the storm on the mountain. The Imax documentary references the storm & deaths but is not centered around them.) If I had lived another life, maybe I would have been a mountain climber. I'm not brave enough, nor skilled enough to do so in this life (plus I'm too old to do it now), but I have always had a fascination with mountain climbing.

This movie was decent. I think it would be worth reading the book Into Thin Air prior to seeing the movie, if you plan to see it. I just think that might give you a better perspective on some of the things that the movie didn't fully clarify, imo. There were so many tragic circumstances that colluded to cause the deaths & I didn't fully get that feeling from the movie. But, having read the book, I could pick up on the things that weren't totally clear or fully explained in the movie. I do think it did a very good job showing some of the vistas, some of the completely terrifying drops, crevasses, steep terrain, etc.... In those respects, it is worth seeing on a big screen. (Imo, an Imax size screen would have been best as a regular movie screen somehow didn't seem big enough....)

Made me cry (but I knew I would). Even though it had been years since I read the book, I remembered some of the ones who were fated to die on Everest, so I knew what was coming for those characters in the movie.

• Like 6

I read "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell for the last letter of name - N.  I really love this author, her books are great.  My 9yo read "Matilda" by Roald Dahl.  She definitely likes this author.

We're excited to read a lot of spooky books for October:)

As Kareni said, :party:  on finishing the name challenge!

• Like 7

Wowzers! Window pane rattling thunder. Lots of lightning! It's pouring. Yeah! 4 cats hiding under various beds, kiddo clutching a flash light and curled in bed with a book. All computers unplugged. One two three. Kapow!

Meanwhile, I'm reading J. D. Robb's newest - Devoted in Death. Night, y'all.

• Like 9

We are under a flood warning, a flash flood advisory, and a wind advisory.  But other than that... ;)

Expecting as much as five inches of rain today, this on top of many inches that have already fallen.  Currently experiencing gusts up to 25 mph, expected to increase to 35 mph.

And more rain expected on Monday.  Sigh.

The good news:  things have not been as bad for us as they are for those in Charleston. 

From my experience with Hurricane Floyd (20 inches of rain in 24 hours) I can predict things are going to get far worse before they improve. Cresting rivers will flow downstream so a week after everyone else has forgotten the rain event, there will be people outside of traditional flood plains who will be flooded.  With Floyd, many rural elderly suffered. 

Good thoughts, folks.  South Carolina will have quite a mess on its hands in the weeks ahead.

ETA:  I have flood insurance for a reason!

• Like 8

Yeah, my sister is in Charleston. Massive flooding that has gone on for days around there. They had king tides about a week ago (because of the blood moon), followed by the massive storm/rain sitting on top of the area for days. Charleston floods easily in normal circumstances, but with the massive tides & massive rainfall, they're under water.

Yesterday, she was saying that people who were stuck in cars were having to be rescued by dive teams because there is so much water.

She's ok, though. It will be a mess there for awhile to come....

Stay safe, Jane. Onceuponatime, how are you doing? Not sure where you are, but my sister said flooding further inland was even worse than where she was.

• Like 7

This movie was decent. I think it would be worth reading the book Into Thin Air prior to seeing the movie, if you plan to see it. I just think that might give you a better perspective on some of the things that the movie didn't fully clarify, imo. There were so many tragic circumstances that colluded to cause the deaths & I didn't fully get that feeling from the movie. But, having read the book, I could pick up on the things that weren't totally clear or fully explained in the movie. I do think it did a very good job showing some of the vistas, some of the completely terrifying drops, crevasses, steep terrain, etc.... In those respects, it is worth seeing on a big screen. (Imo, an Imax size screen would have been best as a regular movie screen somehow didn't seem big enough....)

It's interesting you should say that because I think the people who worked on the events of this movie don't agree with Krakauer on his version of events and the success of "his version" has definitely caused some rifts in the Everest climbing community.

We are under a flood warning, a flash flood advisory, and a wind advisory.  But other than that... ;)

Expecting as much as five inches of rain today, this on top of many inches that have already fallen.  Currently experiencing gusts up to 25 mph, expected to increase to 35 mph.

And more rain expected on Monday.  Sigh.

The good news:  things have not been as bad for us as they are for those in Charleston. 

Thanks for checking in. Each time I look at the radar I think of you.

• Like 4

Sorry you have such a bad weather!

We had a lovely sunny autumny sunday, perfect for a 7miles walk through the bosses and aboard the canals.

I finished Emile from Rousseau last night.(in Dutch)

I'm glad I have read it, but I think I don't I will have dd read it for French Literature (in French)...

• Like 4

ETA: Oops. Sorry. Copied & pasted this into the new week's thread...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's interesting you should say that because I think the people who worked on the events of this movie don't agree with Krakauer on his version of events and the success of "his version" has definitely caused some rifts in the Everest climbing community.

Ah, ok. See, I knew nothing about the movie or its background before seeing it.

I guess that, compared to the book, some of the stuff that happened was sketchy. There was a problem w/ oxygen tanks that the book talked about pretty extensively -- I think ones that were empty were supposed to be full. I can't remember the reasons of the problems -- a mix-up, someone took the wrong tanks, or used the oxygen in the meantime, or what, but that section in the movie is pretty brief. Also, quite a few bad/confused decisions are made. You see them being made in the movie too, but the book goes much more into detail about how oxygen deprivation fogs thinking, etc..., so you can see how so many things pieces led to a terrible whole. The movie shows this but, again, I'm not sure the average movie-goer is going to realize that some of the strange statements made by the climbers were probably due to oxygen deprivation to the brain.

I Krakauer's book did address some of the hostility & competitiveness between some of the climbing groups, that fact that there were tons of people on the mountain at that time, etc.... The movie did show similar things, problems that cropped up (miscommunication between groups, some groups not wanting to work together, etc...), so in that respect I felt like they were fairly aligned.

• Like 2