Menu

Which public universities have highly regarded Fine Arts programs?

Greta

I asked about colleges in Colorado in a separate thread, because that's what my dd is most interested in at this point. But I thought that it would be good to at least find out which other public universities in the US have good programs in Fine Arts. How does a person go about figuring that out?

She's not particularly interested in Art Ed or Art History, but in Studio Art. She's undecided about a specific area of emphasis at this point.

I asked about colleges in Colorado in a separate thread, because that's what my dd is most interested in at this point. But I thought that it would be good to at least find out which other public universities in the US have good programs in Fine Arts. How does a person go about figuring that out?

She's not particularly interested in Art Ed or Art History, but in Studio Art. She's undecided about a specific area of emphasis at this point.

VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) is the top ranked public art school in the nation.

• Like 4

VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) is the top ranked public art school in the nation.

I agree with the suggestion of VCU.  

Richmond is a great location, with a diverse and vibrant community.  It is located close to the beach, mountains (well, East coast mountains) and near enough to DC as well as a variety of historical landmarks. Richmond has everything in a typical "downtown", just less of it than a huge congested city. They refer to it as RVA. I highly recommend that part of Virginia for college!

• Like 1

Based on the US News (graduate school) rankings, there are quite a few in the top 20 or so in California.  I know that most people don't want to retire there due to the high cost of living.  Arizona State University in Tempe is ranked highly at #22 and in a popular retirement state.

Here's the link for the US News rankings.  http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/fine-arts-rankings

• Like 1

Based on the US News (graduate school) rankings, there are quite a few in the top 20 or so in California.  I know that most people don't want to retire there due to the high cost of living.  Arizona State University in Tempe is ranked highly at #22 and in a popular retirement state.

Here's the link for the US News rankings.  http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/fine-arts-rankings

Good to know there are so many highly rated local colleges in this field (some of which should be academic safeties and affordable). I know it is way too early to worry about this but I have an 11 year old leaning towards the arts so I am glad just in case!

• Like 2

Based on the US News (graduate school) rankings, there are quite a few in the top 20 or so in California. I know that most people don't want to retire there due to the high cost of living. Arizona State University in Tempe is ranked highly at #22 and in a popular retirement state.

Here's the link for the US News rankings. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/fine-arts-rankings

Thank you, that's a very helpful listing!

• Like 1

Great replies.  I don't have much to add, except I would highly advise visiting VCU if it happens to be a realistic choice for your daughter.  I went there for a short time many years ago, and things have probably changed ( so YMMV).  The year I attended there were 1?-2? murders in the park across the street from the school and at the time Richmond had one of the highest per capita murder rates in the country.  Even the McDonalds near campus employed armed security guards and there was a lot of drug activity.  Like I said, this was many  years ago, but I thought at the time it was a very unsafe situation.

• Like 1

Great replies. I don't have much to add, except I would highly advise visiting VCU if it happens to be a realistic choice for your daughter. I went there for a short time many years ago, and things have probably changed ( so YMMV). The year I attended there were 1?-2? murders in the park across the street from the school and at the time Richmond had one of the highest per capita murder rates in the country. Even the McDonalds near campus employed armed security guards and there was a lot of drug activity. Like I said, this was many years ago, but I thought at the time it was a very unsafe situation.

I really appreciate you mentioning this, because safety is a very big concern for us. We currently live in a pretty unsafe city, and I sure would like for her to relocate some place better in that regard.

Does anyone know if Richmond has changed in this way in the last 20 years? Or would this still be a concern?

VCU is one my of my daughter's top choices and we visited there a few months ago. I was wondering how I would feel about Richmond. I was pleasantly surprised. They have an extensive security program right down to a program where a student can call for a ride any time from dusk to the next morning even if they just don't feel like walking. Just like anywhere else kids need to be smart about not going anywhere alone at 2am but I feel completely fine with my daughter going there. I really liked the campus. Also they have a very good honors program that includes their own internship opportunities, their own advisors and the first right for class scheduling, even before seniors. My daughter loved that the major of the dorms, including the honors dorms were singles with your own bathroom :-)

I don't know how the honors program works with Fine Arts. I know they have a different type of program. We know a few kids who are at VCU right now and they love it. 

• Like 1

VCU is one my of my daughter's top choices and we visited there a few months ago. I was wondering how I would feel about Richmond. I was pleasantly surprised. They have an extensive security program right down to a program where a student can call for a ride any time from dusk to the next morning even if they just don't feel like walking. Just like anywhere else kids need to be smart about not going anywhere alone at 2am but I feel completely fine with my daughter going there. I really liked the campus. Also they have a very good honors program that includes their own internship opportunities, their own advisors and the first right for class scheduling, even before seniors. My daughter loved that the major of the dorms, including the honors dorms were singles with your own bathroom :-)

I don't know how the honors program works with Fine Arts. I know they have a different type of program. We know a few kids who are at VCU right now and they love it.

Thank you Heather, this is great!

Greta - I should also add that they have been very supportive of us as homeschoolers. They didn't have a problem with it at all and have answered all of my questions. Like I said, we haven't dealt with the fine arts program but everyone we have dealt with has been terrific. We will be doing the application soon so hopefully they are just as nice then :-). 

• Like 1