Menu

Which kitchen faucet do you like and why?

Susan C.

I have to replace the $30 kitchen faucet that came with our house... There is a window right above the sink (9 inches to top of window sill, wood molding under that, and then a few inches of wall before laminate), so I don't think I can get a higher gooseneck one, or it would 1) be well above the window, and 2) splash would be above the laminate with the handle so high. Or am I crazy?

We have the basic hot/cold handles, and very low pitched spout (hate it for doing dishes and filling large pots, but no matter how high the arch, the end of spout will be there, right?), but at least water stays below the wall and window molding. The laminate is beat up by the water, that is how I found the leak... constant water, not all from splashing (guys do dishes). I am trying to dry it out and repair it. I can't do tile back there yet, eventually it all needs replacing.

I *think* I like hot/cold handles... rinsing veggies, and washing hands, just use cold handle. But I'm open to input. The plumber says get M o e n brand, that limits me to about 4 choices at each big box store. Most that have a "medium" arch for spout are single handle, which is higher, which I'm not that fond of (but might be able to be sold on it). Also, are there advantages between bronze and stainless steel? I have plastic coated now, but at minimum, will move to metal.

Help! and Thanks.

So far, its:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_109891-866-CA87480SRS__?partNumber=230645-866-CA87480&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3386462&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I can use the sprayer if I need "detachable" our water is awful, so we use filtered (not from sink) to fill pans. I am open to being sold on detachable, but it might need to be lower profile.

We have this one from faucet direct.  It looks very similar to the one you linked above -- we have the spotless stainless finish and it is awesome.   Our faucet is under a window sill, too, and this one comes up fairly high so I can wash/fill tall pots with no problem.  Also, I like the side sprayer instead of the pullout because we've had a couple of pullout sprayers explode on us before.  Our plumber also recommended Moen.

Faucet Direct is a great supplier.

And I will NEVER go back to a separate sprayer. The detachable faucet is so handy. And a single handle is much handier when you are working with food and want to adjust the temp.

On the detachable faucet, make sure the switch between hose and spray is hard plastic. The dot rubber breaks down. I'll post a link to one I like on another post.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/vigo-vg02002-pullout-spray-kitchen-faucet/p1350724

This is NOT the faucet we got but it is functionally the same.

See the hard switch for spray? Not soft rubber like many have. No spring on the gooseneck. Annoying. One control. We got this because our rental had accustomed is to it and I was used to it. I'd prefer back-of-faucet and centered.

Faucet Direct has GREAT sorting and filtering so you can be smart about what faucet you get.

A good faucet will not splash, no matter how high it is.  The water bubbles out in a smooth stream.  I much prefer a high arch with a single handle.  It allows me to hold the dish/pan/utensil with one hand while getting just the right temperature with the other.  Having two knobs means really hot or really cold.  Having a high arch allows either hand to reach the single handle, as well as making it easy to fill large pots, or buckets or whatever.  

I don't care for the pull-out sprayer/faucets because the ones I've seen have all developed leaks.  I think it's from the constant tugging.  I prefer a separate sprayer.  

I have Moen and Delta faucets through my house.  I believe my kitchen faucet is a Delta, purchased from Lowes.  It's been great for 11 years.

Mine is like this

http://www.lowes.com/pd_274209-72981-11946-SSSD-DST___?productId=3139529&pl=1&Ntt=delta+kitchen+faucet

Finding the right faucet was a big project for me!  

Of course the people doing our kitchen recommended a one hole solution, but I definitely wanted a side sprayer .    (I don't want anyone messing around with the faucet where my drinking water is coming from...don't touch it with your grubby hands, just use the side sprayer for any dirty work, please! :laugh: )

I wanted the water stream to go directly down into the drain, rather than having the water hit the sink.   To make sure,  I carried a paper template of our sink (with drain location) around with me when faucet shopping.  But I got what I wanted and it was worth it to me!  

Cool, thanks!  And the splash is the guys.... not the faucet, lol. They are ducks! The cheap shallow sink doesn't help either... but I don't want to lose the space underneath, and if I'm lucky to get counters at some point, I will change the sink then. The seamed laminate was not a good match for them either ... but I still want to try to save it. We are in a small town, and I priced counters and cabinets, it was way too much. They are in great shape, except for behind the sink.

I have the kind with the spray attached to the end of the faucet (not on the side).  I LOVE it but to be honest, I have had it replaced 2 times in 14 years.  The hoses started to leak at the point where the sprayer and hose meet.  I am Not gentle on things, and I have 3 kids, one with special needs.  My current one  has been used ruthlessly for 7 years or so.  We just had to replace the hose again this year.  

Even if I had to buy one faucet every 5 years, I would still go with a single hole one.  I really like the convenience of moving the sprayer around.  The faucet at our cabin has a side sprayer and I found it really annoying once I got used to my attached sprayer option.

One thing to think about if you buy one with a warranty, is to keep your paperwork and receipt.  Moen replaced our faucet for free since it was under warranty.  My husband installed it so it didn't cost us anything. 

I don't understand why it matters if it goes above the window sil?  Mine does and it doesn't cause any more spray problems than a lower faucet would.  .....or are you talking about aesthetics?  The air that is captured in the stream takes care of the spray.  

Tap,

The window tilts down to clean, so its entire weight would be on it, there might be a solution, I just don't know it yet.. And if the faucet empties higher, then its wall, molding, window sill, rather than the back of the laminate. If that isn't well thought out, I'm all ears.

I have not had good luck with Moen faucets. In the past year we replaced our countertop and faucet and put in this one. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pfister-Cantara-1-Handle-Pull-Out-Sprayer-Kitchen-Faucet-in-Polished-Chrome-F-534-7CRC/205471292?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-205471292-_-N It is my second Pfister faucet and I have been pleased with both.

A good faucet will not splash, no matter how high it is.  The water bubbles out in a smooth stream.  I much prefer a high arch with a single handle.  It allows me to hold the dish/pan/utensil with one hand while getting just the right temperature with the other.  Having two knobs means really hot or really cold.  Having a high arch allows either hand to reach the single handle, as well as making it easy to fill large pots, or buckets or whatever.  

I don't care for the pull-out sprayer/faucets because the ones I've seen have all developed leaks.  I think it's from the constant tugging.  I prefer a separate sprayer.  

I have Moen and Delta faucets through my house.  I believe my kitchen faucet is a Delta, purchased from Lowes.  It's been great for 11 years.

Mine is like this

http://www.lowes.com/pd_274209-72981-11946-SSSD-DST___?productId=3139529&pl=1&Ntt=delta+kitchen+faucet

We went with the pull out sprayer but I've been wondering about this. I try to go easy on the faucet :)

Tap,

The window tilts down to clean, so its entire weight would be on it, there might be a solution, I just don't know it yet.. And if the faucet empties higher, then its wall, molding, window sill, rather than the back of the laminate. If that isn't well thought out, I'm all ears.

Ahhh. I have tilt out windows too.  I clean my windows exterior about 4 times a year. I get on a stool and clean them to avoid this problem. It's really a non issue for me. And since I have to get on a stool to clean the top half of the window anyway it is no big deal.

And as far as the splatter factor, there isn't one for my faucet. The water goes straight down to the sink.

FTR I have delta faucets and have never had a problem. Ours is 14 years old and still in great shape. We've had to replace the cartridge thing in it twice I think to help with leaks, but that's kind of like replacing a washer.

Thanks again!

I purchased the faucet I linked above, and so far, I like it! I got one handle, and its great. It is well below the window sill and the handle faces forward, which works well.

I did measure three possibilities at the store, and the one I got measured the highest spigot placement. Installed, it is SO much easier to wash dishes, so heartlikealion, I agree, higher is better. I don't get the goose neck high curve, low spigot either... the low arch one, along with higher spigot, will make washing pans and baking sheets much easier.

Now to figure out how to fix the laminate behind the sink...