Menu

Can you take another baby naming thread?

MeaganS

129 members have voted

1. 1. Which name do you like best:

• Beatrice
    • Margaret
    • Alice
    • They are all the worst!!!!
  2. 2. Is Beatrice too out there?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

I love the name Beatrice.  I think it's coming back in style.  Our old neighbor named her baby that, and last year another acquaintance named her baby that.

I really hate the nickname Trixie though.  I've only met one woman named Trixie, and she was literally a stripper.  And about 5 dogs named Trixie.  Mostly white poodles for some reason.   I'd come up with a different nickname- Bea, Tricy (like Tracy but with an I, though that would subject her to Tricy Prissy if you're in the South).

If you are naming them any of the three with uniqueness in mind you are going to be disappointed.  All three are on an upswing - and a big one at that.  Our littlest one is Catherine Margaret (with Margaret being after my grandmother) but I cannot tell you how many times I've heard of it being used lately.  Beatrice is also very much up and coming while Alice has been up and coming for a bit.  I love Beatrice but I love Trixie not so much but probably because I know of a puppy with that name and you know how it is with word association. 

Beatrice and Margaret are my two favorites and I voted for Margaret because I'm biased! ;)

I like them all, voted for Margaret, and I love all of your girls names.

Beatrice is a fine name, but Trixie as a nn--just don't do it.

I am qualified to give this advice because I have an old-fashioned name with a "cute" nickname. I am now a 45-year-old Barbie because Barbara has just never fit--I've ALWAYS been Barbie. But Barbara is still my legal name. When I write a check it is signed Barbara, and when people see it they say, "Who's that?" because it's just. not. me.

Unfortunately I did not learn the lesson myself. Along with half the population in the 1990's, I named my daughter Alexis. From the beginning we called her Alexi. She is and will always be Alexi. She strongly dislikes Alexis. Having lived through the exact same thing myself, you'd think I would have learned. If I had it to do over I'd name her Lydia :-)

I do think Bea is an okay nn and often go by just "B" myself.

I don't particularly like Margaret.  Yes, that's my name.   I never got a nickname that stuck though and now it's a bit late.  :-)   I would have liked to have been Maggie or Margie (with a hard g). 

Love love love Alice. 

Beatrice is nice too.  Trixie is a great nickname!

:-)