Menu

If I had known how fantastic the Chalkdust teacher was

Thanks for letting us know. I have been really contemplating over this. This makes me feel much better about possibly buying this for next year's algebra course.

;)

Holly

I suppose I really should mention that I've just gotten the boys started in Alg I and Alg II. I've not done the whole program. What I'm noticing is how good the teacher brings in those ideas that I know they need to know. He just keeps repeating things like how important it is to do each step and put it all on paper...and the way he explains things is SO CLEAR. He is such a better math teacher than I ever was!

La!

Jean

This is our first year with Dana Mosely after 11 years with Saxon. 4 dc using from prealgebra to Calculus. And after one month, I don't know how many times different dc have said," I get it now" or "Was that what it was all about."

or "Oh, I never knew why I was doing that (algorithm) for!" They are amazed that they can see how the concepts relate compared with Saxon's jumping all over the place. They all love Uncle Buck!

We love it too!

Holly :thumbup:

Seriously, I bought Chalkdust Geometry basically because I had tried other math programs thru the years but everyone raved about Dana Mosely and Chalkdust. There were few unhappy Chalkdust users.

Granted, we are not exactly Geometry-lovers, but my dtr actually seems to be struggling more then ever with Chalkdust Geometry - and the lessons are sooo short. I can't imagine anyone teaching Geometry concepts and lessons (with a Larson text I think) in 8 to 15-minute lessons.

We are watching the videos twice, doing the vocab, reading/studying the chapter, but we still are getting 70-75% grades on the tests and daily assignments. At the rate we are going (Ch 2), this is going to be one long, tough, frustrating and expensive math year.

Lisaj, wanting to like Chalkdust, believing the good reports, but....

???? Is it going to get better?

Can anyone answer Lisa's question? Have any of you used the Chalk dust Geometry? My two boys, grades 9 and 10 are finishinig up MUS Algebra. I have purchased both MUS geometry and Chalkdust Geometry and don't know which one to use with them. I was able to handle the MUS Algebra but it took a lot of my time to learn the concepts in order to help my boys when they got stuck. I have no desire to learn (or relearn :confused: since I did have it in High School but don't remember any) and I don't have the time to help them much so I want to pick a program that they will be able to do indepentently and be successful. I plan to sit down with my husband this week and look at the 2 curriculums and compare but I don't even really know what to compare. I am leaning toward MUS because that is what we have used before, but keep hearing great things about Chalkdust.

Can anyone help me with my decision? :confused: or give me any feedback?:bigear:

Thanks,

Gretchen in NO. CA

Seriously, I bought Chalkdust Geometry basically because I had tried other math programs thru the years but everyone raved about Dana Mosely and Chalkdust. There were few unhappy Chalkdust users.

Granted, we are not exactly Geometry-lovers, but my dtr actually seems to be struggling more then ever with Chalkdust Geometry - and the lessons are sooo short. I can't imagine anyone teaching Geometry concepts and lessons (with a Larson text I think) in 8 to 15-minute lessons.

We are watching the videos twice, doing the vocab, reading/studying the chapter, but we still are getting 70-75% grades on the tests and daily assignments. At the rate we are going (Ch 2), this is going to be one long, tough, frustrating and expensive math year.

Lisaj, wanting to like Chalkdust, believing the good reports, but....

???? Is it going to get better?

I have to say that I did not like the Chalkdust Geometry nearly as well as I am enjoying the Algebra 1 course this year. My ds used the geometry last year. My younger dd was using Chalkdust Pre-Algebra at the same time, and while he explained concepts, "to death" in her course, the lectures in the geometry course were very short and IMO, rushed. I don't understand this because both the Pre-Algebra and the Algebra 1, are VERY detailed.Also, the textbook was horrible! They do offer a new one now, so that is a good thing:) Because of our experience, my younger dd will be doing Chalkdust Alg 1, then Teaching Textbooks geometry, and then back to Chakdust for Alg 2.

We used the Chalkdust text for Alg I, but since I felt capable of teaching Alg I, I bought a really cheap text/solutions manual. However, with Geometry I was not so sure so I spent the money for the DVD's. At first, my ds was offended that I was not going to teach him but wanted him to watch DVD's. I told him that we would just keep them for back up. Well, one day rolled around and something happened that took me out of the house. I asked my ds to watch the lesson and do 20 odd problems. WELL, he fell for Uncle Buck, I think they call him. We did all of Geometry on the DVD's and are doing Alg II with them now. The teaching goes way beyond what is in the text.

It was a great investment.

ReneeR

I would have bought this program years ago and used it with all my dc.

'nuf said.

Jean

:iagree: I am kicking myself for not getting CD sooner. We've been at PreCalc and Alg II for a month and a half now, and PreAlg and Alg I for 3 weeks. The kids keep coming to me and saying, "Now I get it!"

The SAT math review is great, too. They've managed to up their scores on the practice tests drastically. I can't wait to see what happens on the real test.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the math decision a few months ago. I'm also thankful to those of you who expressed reservations about CD. It helps to hear both sides. I am so grateful for all the help I've gotten here.