Menu

Where to buy calcium hydroxide aka pickling lime?

Jean in Newcastle

Are pickling supplies still available in stores?  I want it by Monday so while I know I can get it online, I'd rather not.  (Yes, I left my planning a bit late on this. . .   Mea culpa.)

Do you have a market that caters to Mexicans near-by Jean? Mexicans use "lime" to soften maize for tortillas, etc.

Bill

you want to be careful of where you get it.  I'd looked at an aquarium store (they had hydrated lime) and they were clear do not use it for pickling or anything consumed by humans!

I've got some if you want to PM me . . . . I don't remember where I found it.  I may have called around to various grocery stores.  Have you tired winco or cash-n-carry?

somewhere with a good canning supply.  pretty sure mine's from "ball".

Do you have a market that caters to Mexicans near-by Jean? Mexicans use "lime" to soften maize for tortillas, etc.

Bill

there should be several.  I'm in the same area (maybe 20 minutes away) - and we have lots of ethnic groceries.  there's a Mexican grocery about five minutes from me.  (very excited about the new indian grocery in overlake.)

Jean  -   yelp says there's one near you.

Safeway - their canning stuff had all kinds of spices mixed in.  Not what I want in my chem. experiment.

QFC - has calcium chloride but not hydroxide.  Does that matter if I'm making limewater?

Petco - has calcium chloride solution but not hydroxide as far as I could tell.  

Haven't tried McLendon's (hardware store that is reputed to carry it at times) or Walmart or the bodega yet.  

Found it at McLendon's hardware store!   :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:

They had a different brand besides just Ball.  I'm sure Ball is great for actual pickling but from a chemistry standpoint it is calcium chloride and not calcium hydroxide.  Apparently you can convert calcium chloride into calcium hydroxide but you have to heat it to 1500 degrees and that is not something I wanted to do . . .Besides to make it I would have had to find yet another chemical Sodium hydroxide.  Which is way long winded but I've been researching this and have found out way more than I ever wanted to know on the subject!  

• Like 2