Menu

Cat cancer question - WWYD

My 16 yo Siamese cat probably has cancer of an unspecified type. Last summer, he was diagnosed with early cardiomyopathy and we were told nothing could be done but watchful waiting. He was seen by a vet in February, and he had lost weight. He kept losing weight and in Spring, I started feeding him canned food and giving him treats of ham, roast beef, etc. We took him to the vet again and this vet checked his vitals, ran a blood test and talked to us. He doesnt think his decline is due to his heart problem because his heart rate is normal. His temperature is low but his liver, kidney and blood values were normal. The vet thinks his weight loss and general appearnace suggests cancer. I thought that with his underlying heart problems and now the cancer, that he is simply dying of normal stuff of old age. I started searching the net for types of cancer they get to see what his possible decline may be like. Then I see all kinds of advice about treatments. Now my last Siamese died at 13 or 14 and this one is still alive at 16. I thought that was a good age for a cat. Since the vets cant feel a tumor and the blood wor and ultrasound last week showed no tumor (nor any thyroid problems), I dont think that medically there is anything more to do other than make my cat as comfortable as I can. He still enjoys food though he eats very little and he still likes to sit next to us so I think he is still enjoying life.

My two previous cats died very differently- my previous Siamese got a very quick diabetes probably due to pancreatic tumor and died very quickly at a hospital. My other cat had sinus cancer for a few years and her progression was easy to see. This cat is different and I dont want him to suffer but am not quite sure how to tell when it will be time. Any advice?

The vet thinks his weight loss and general appearnace suggests cancer. I thought that with his underlying heart problems and now the cancer, that he is simply dying of normal stuff of old age ...

Now my last Siamese died at 13 or 14 and this one is still alive at 16. I thought that was a good age for a cat. Since the vets cant feel a tumor and the blood wor and ultrasound last week showed no tumor (nor any thyroid problems), I dont think that medically there is anything more to do other than make my cat as comfortable as I can. He still enjoys food though he eats very little and he still likes to sit next to us so I think he is still enjoying life.

I think you're right- your cat is dying of old age. Yeah, he might have cancer- but if they can't find it there's nothing they can do. As long as your can is enjoying life, keep him around and love him.

I think you're right- your cat is dying of old age. Yeah, he might have cancer- but if they can't find it there's nothing they can do. As long as your can is enjoying life, keep him around and love him.

:iagree: I would make sure he has a nice warm place to sleep and closely monitor his eating and litter box habits. Keep up communication with your vet if anything changes.

Does it eat? Purr? Greet you? If you know a cat well, it will tell you when it is suffering.

I had a cat with cancer and it just glued herself to me. When she stopped purring or leaving my lap, I had her put down. The other moved outside and would let me pet her with an outstretched finger but wouldn't let me closer. We did "hospice" in the garden under the cat nip. When she was too weak to get up and move if I inched closer, I picked her up and took her in. Both went in a matter of days. HTH.

I happen to feel that most animals can make it clear when it's "the right time." My Toni, who was never interested in human interaction, gathered up all of the energy she could muster to climb into my bed and sleep with me one night. That was so not like her. I knew she was desperate for peace and made an appointment for her in the morning.

If he's happy, I would continue to let him be happy, and trust that he'll make it clear.

:grouphug:

At that age, there is no point in trying to do anything about the cancer. Honestly, I don't know that I'd treat a younger cat, either. Cancer treatments are horrific, they don't make the animal feel better, and the animal doesn't understand what you're trying to do.

I think as long as he's still enjoying life and not in obvious pain, can still eat and use the litterbox appropriately, it's all good. When you see a real decline in quality of life, it's time to make a decision.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I'm so sorry. He *has* had a lovely long cat life to this point, and it's not over yet. I know how hard it is to watch him knowing that he's ill, though..

We've had some very old cats also. (18, 19, 21). I try to make the decision on them based on what decision I would make for myself in the same situation. We have a vet who is a good friend, and he once said to me that if you're a careful pet owner and the animal isn't killed in an accident, generally at some point you need to make the decision to euthanize.

With most of our extremely old cats over the years, the "slimming" has occurred as almost a decision to begin taking leave of this life. It's almost as if they are tapering off their involvement with the things of this world. It's not necessarily cancer, just old age. Then, their kidneys fail and it's time.

I think it shows a wisdom often far beyond what the human medical community will permit for people. Our cats have shown us that life into death is an inevitable progression, not some surprise or disease. My heart goes out to you. It is such a privilege to share one's life with pets. This transition is always hardest on those left behind.

Danielle

proudly owned, currently, by Beauregard (Giant Schnauzer, 9); Cadeau (calico alleycat, 7) and Fantome (grey generic alleycat, 2?--who knows).

I normally would let the cat live and be around us. My cat was acting funny the other night. She wanted to sleep with me. She was really whiny. So I think something spooked her outside really bad and wanted to be comforted. :) She has been sick off and on this week so not sure what is going on. In your case I would just let the cat be and be surrounded by you and your family. Love him/her and let the cat know that you are around and still care for him/her (sorry not sure if the cat is a she or he).

Holly

To the poster who posted about cancer treatments- that is what I thought too. Especially since we don't even know which cancer and surgery is so hard for cats his age let alone an ill cat his age. But you start second guessing yourself when all these sites come up talking about chemotherapy and radiation for cancer in cats and all these people post about doing all these major things to treat.

I had a poodle mix who developed a brain tumor and we had to euthanise. He was middle age and it was a surprise. I do recall talking to doctors who told me with brain tumors the prognosis for dogs was as equally slim as with humans.

My cat who is a male is normally very affectionate and loves to sit by us on the couch. He is still jumping up but in the last few days he is having some difficulty getting comfortable. He is still able to sleep comfortably in his pet bed. I think we are coming near the end and your posts are helping me confirm it.