Menu

What science for K would you choose if it was paid for by charter school?

ExcitedMama

DS loves science so I have been trying to figure out which program to choose. When I posted recently asking most responses for K were in favor of books and being outdoors. But what if it was paid for by a charter school? I'm trying to figure out what to use the funds on and I think science would be a good choice. I like the descriptions for NOEO, REAL Science Odyssey, and real science for Kids, but they seem to better suited for older kids. I'm leaning towards Elemental Science Intro to Science since it covers generally a lot of topics, recommends living books and beginning notebooking. I should probably post separately asking about Intro to Science. For those unfamiliar with charters they buy the materials but you have to give them back at the end of the year so I don't want to buy living books that I would have to keep track of. If it was free what would you choose for K science curriculum? Thanks!

I'm leaning towards Elemental Science Intro to Science since it covers generally a lot of topics, recommends living books and beginning notebooking. 

I was just going to recommend this!

If you get it, make sure to get the 'experiment' kit as well. I have not completed this curriculum but have done their Biology for 1st grade. The kit was a life saver because I knew I would have all the supplies and could just open and go.

• Like 2

My first thought when looking at how to spend the funds was Nancy Larson since I'd seen rave reviews about it but knew it was expensive. I checked out the kits for K and 1st and I don't get it. Granted the samples are limited but they seemed very basic and not interesting. I don't understand why they're so pricy. Maybe I'm missing something?

Honestly, the only science curric I've found that I've liked is BFSU which is really inexpensive. I'd still be inclined to get it, plus the items recommended in it - life cycle kits, field guides, etc.

Some stuff can be bought, used, and returned without so much keeping track of it. A caterpillar-to-butterfly kit, ant farm, child-friendly microscope like the Carson Zorb. A digital camera has been really useful for nature walks and putting together our own nature books, would that be allowed? The beginner Lego Education kits are basically kindergarten-level engineering and we just put those pieces back in the bin and separate from our regular Legos. BrainPop and Happy Scientist subscriptions are used daily here.

• Like 1

Thank you! I hadn't considered kits or lego education. Any recommendations on where to start with lego education kits? DS is lego obsessed and builds the sets meant for teenagers quickly so he would love it.

For K, we used the Early Structures set, which was a good fit for my daughter but almost certainly too basic for a kid with notable Lego experience. For first, we're using the Early Simple Machines set. It uses pulleys, wheels, gears, axles, and levers to explore energy, buoyancy, and balance. It's intended for K-1, the building would be very easy for your son but the exploration of science concepts is solid for K-1. It uses Duplo for its pieces and I was afraid my daughter would find the Duplo to be babyish, but she's fine with it and it makes it easier to keep the pieces separate from her Lego sets. Make sure you get the kit plus the Activity Pack if you go this way, because all the ideas of what to do with the pieces are in the Activity Pack.

You could also take a look at WeDo or the Simple Machines Set. They're both aimed at grades 2+. Sounds like the building wouldn't be a challenge for your son, but I don't know about the science or the programming skills.

• Like 1