Menu

Can anyone recommend a good ski resort in CO, NM, or UT?

Lisa R.

We only taken the family skiing once, and we were looking for a ski resort for a week's stay in December. Kids are aged 15 and up. I grew up cross country skiing, so I wouldn't mind having that as an option, as well as the downhill and snowboarding.

Any recommendations?

I am usually more of a lurker than a participant here, but this is one I can help you with! Salt Lake City is a great jumping off point for a week of skiing: 7 ski resorts within 30 minutes, with varying prices, terrain, charms, etc. The Nordic Center at Solitude offers like 20 km of cross-country skiing, and of course, Soldier Hollow is awesome and where the 2002 Olympics were held.

If you're looking for more of a ski resort experience instead of staying in the city, you really can't beat Park City. It's a really cool old mining town that is now filled with fantastic restaurants, shops, art galleries, etc., and a lift that is literally right at the bottom of Main Street. This last year, Park City Mountain Resort and Canyons Resort combined into one resort and is now the largest ski resort in America. Park City has a huge variety for both skiing and snowboarding, great restaurants right on the mountain, and lots of different lodging options.

Feel free to ask, of PM me if you have any questions about skiing in Utah and/or Park City.

• Like 3

Except AVOID Park City the end of January. That is Sundance Film Festival time and it gets crazy. But yes, stay in the SLC and hit all the resorts. You could do a resort a day! Happy Skiing!

(a Utah native who hates snow and only went skiing once in 1987 and never went back!)  :lol:

I am usually more of a lurker than a participant here, but this is one I can help you with! Salt Lake City is a great jumping off point for a week of skiing: 7 ski resorts within 30 minutes, with varying prices, terrain, charms, etc. The Nordic Center at Solitude offers like 20 km of cross-country skiing, and of course, Soldier Hollow is awesome and where the 2002 Olympics were held.

If you're looking for more of a ski resort experience instead of staying in the city, you really can't beat Park City. It's a really cool old mining town that is now filled with fantastic restaurants, shops, art galleries, etc., and a lift that is literally right at the bottom of Main Street. This last year, Park City Mountain Resort and Canyons Resort combined into one resort and is now the largest ski resort in America. Park City has a huge variety for both skiing and snowboarding, great restaurants right on the mountain, and lots of different lodging options.

Feel free to ask, of PM me if you have any questions about skiing in Utah and/or Park City.

• Like 1

Random thoughts:  early Dec or late Dec?  Early to mid Dec, if there hasn't been tons of snow, not all the terrain may be open at a given resort.  How much terrain is open will of course depend on the size of the resort, their snowmaking capabilities, and how the weather's been plus the elevation.  I would think this sort of info might be available online someplace.  Most places seem to strive for all terrain open by Christmas season as that is a very busy time.  Maybe variety of terrain doesn't matter much if you'll only be skiing greens/blues - are you all beginners?

There are loads of choices, of course.  In CO, we prefer places with a town (say, Breckenridge or Aspen/Snowmass) as opposed to a resort without much of a town (say, Winter Park), and IMO that's especially important for a week-long trip.  A lot of people like the skiing at Vail and the terrain is vast though parking can be annoying and there isn't really a historical-sort of town.

We ski in Breck - five peaks on the continental divide.  The town's elevation is around 9600 ft, peaks over 12k.  Cross-country and snowboarding are available, as is likely the case everywhere else as well.

If you are looking for low prices, look at smaller, family resorts.  Prices add up quickly though for a week I'd think there'd be packages available (multi-day lift tickets and equipment rental).  Happy planning!

• Like 1