Menu

New Baby Panda Born in D.C. This Evening!

Junie

A baby panda was born at the Smithsonian zoo in Washington, D.C.

https://www.facebook.com/nationalzoo?fref=nf

:)

One article I read said that baby pandas weigh about 1/900th of the mother's weight. Oh, if only that were true in humans. Labor and delivery would have been much more pleasant. :)

Not to mention 90-150 day gestation😄

I do hope these little cubs survive. It is tricky business with twins and they will have to rotate them in and out to get her to feed and bond with them.

Very exciting!

I am confused by the baby switching plan.  When Bao Bao and Tai Shan were born they said they couldn't find out the sex of the baby because any interaction would be so stressful as to be life threatening.  But now they're going in there 10 times a day to rotate cubs, and assuming that Mei Xiang just won't notice?  

I also want to know the exit plan.  Will there come a point when she will accept two, without freaking out, or will they be rotating for years, or is it just until the need for Panda Breastmilk is less pressing, and then one will be raised by humans from that point on?

In Altanta, when the twin pandas were born, it was a couple of months before Lun Lun would take care of both simultaneously. I read in the wild, if twins are born, generally only one survives because the mother ignores the other one.

Can you imagine her shock when she discovered there were 2?  

I am confused by the baby switching plan. When Bao Bao and Tai Shan were born they said they couldn't find out the sex of the baby because any interaction would be so stressful as to be life threatening. But now they're going in there 10 times a day to rotate cubs, and assuming that Mei Xiang just won't notice?

I also want to know the exit plan. Will there come a point when she will accept two, without freaking out, or will they be rotating for years, or is it just until the need for Panda Breastmilk is less pressing, and then one will be raised by humans from that point on?

There is a fantastic National Geographic documentary about the Wolong Perserve in China and Giant Pandas that outlines these very questions. The babies are so small and helpless, and it is difficult for the mother to position them properly for feeding. Sometimes one just fails, but more often the mother will simply devote her resources to one to increase chances of survival. Panda mothers often don't eat or drink much while nursing and ration their resources as well:(

At least in the documentary it did not seem to stress mother to have the babies rotated...and the keepers went to elaborate steps, even dressing as Giant Pandas for some of the interactions! Highly recommend watching the documentary.

• Like 1

There is a fantastic National Geographic documentary about the Wolong Perserve in China and Giant Pandas that outlines these very questions. The babies are so small and helpless, and it is difficult for the mother to position them properly for feeding. Sometimes one just fails, but more often the mother will simply devote her resources to one to increase chances of survival. Panda mothers often don't eat or drink much while nursing and ration their resources as well:(

At least in the documentary it did not seem to stress mother to have the babies rotated...and the keepers went to elaborate steps, even dressing as Giant Pandas for some of the interactions! Highly recommend watching the documentary.

Thanks!  I will definitely check that out.