Menu

Cheaper Textbooks

Azalea

And having your dc email and ask if earlier editions are okay.

Always a good tip.  DD has one class this semester where the NEW edition will turn out to be cheaper. She has to buy from the school bookstore because they bundle the text with an online code (no need to say how much I dislike this ploy).  They are still selling the old edition right alongside the new edition, with only about $15 difference.  However, it looks like she'll be able to sell the new edition back to Amazon at the end of the year for $100+ whereas no one wants the old edition.

Something to consider!

• Like 2

Thanks for the two websites!  We use half.com, eBay, Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Will have to add these two to my list!

We've also had the experience where there is a new edition but the teacher is fine with students using an older edition.  Unfortunately, you won't know until the first day of class. One semester there was a $150 difference between the two.

I'm a little bummed that the 4-year college dd will be transferring to next year has gone to a flat-fee system for textbooks.  $275 per semester, which is WAY more than we've ever spent with our wheeling and dealing.

• Like 1

I'm a little bummed that the 4-year college dd will be transferring to next year has gone to a flat-fee system for textbooks.  $275 per semester, which is WAY more than we've ever spent with our wheeling and dealing.

I'm impressed! I beat the bushes all right, and we still ended up spending about $600 including one $160 access code that thankfully is good for two semesters.

I bought two on Amazon, two used from other students, and one from Barnes and Nobles because I had a discount/coupon and gift card which combined made it cheap.

Okay, well cheap might not be the word. I wasn't too put out by any of the prices except the German text - $242.50 was the lowest price I could get. I hope that book gets used for his second semester class too!

I'm just glad to have it done. The book lists weren't issued until the end of the first week of August so only a month to go looking and get them here.

Always a good tip.  DD has one class this semester where the NEW edition will turn out to be cheaper. She has to buy from the school bookstore because they bundle the text with an online code (no need to say how much I dislike this ploy).  They are still selling the old edition right alongside the new edition, with only about $15 difference.  However, it looks like she'll be able to sell the new edition back to Amazon at the end of the year for $100+ whereas no one wants the old edition.

Something to consider!

Preach it.

I have nothing to add to this discussion except that "ploy" is exactly the right word.

• Like 3

DD's first day of classes today.  Here's what she learned:

--The online code that is bundled with her math text from the school bookstore is not actually required by the instructor.  So, a student could save some money by buying just the textbook elsewhere. However, if a student chooses to buy the code bundle and use the online portion for homework/quizzes, it will count 15% towards their grade.  Otherwise, the in class exams will be worth more of your grade if you choose not to use the online portion.  

--The e-book/online code is required for her science class. It is $60 thru the school bookstore or $35 if purchased directly from the provider online.  The instructor did advise buying it directly and even recommended one student who already bought it from the school to take it back if they had the receipt.  This instructor also strongly recommends the students buy the hardback textbook as many students find it easier to use/flip through than the e-book. I just ordered a cheap previous edition of the textbook for DD ($12 including expedited shipping). I did warn her to check the e-book for actual assigned problems but the previous edition should be fine for studying.

--The textbook we rented through Amazon will work fine for another class. Yay!  This book is only used for the first semester and rental was much cheaper in this case than buying and trying to re-sell.

We've rented a majority of textbooks through Chegg for the past three years.  I'm a fan.

It's those unknown math books with access codes that will cost you an arm and a leg.  Ouch!  This year, I found that I could rent the class book for $150 without the code, or buy it brand new through Chegg for $157.  Everywhere else had it new for $200.  I was pretty happy to notice that, because I'll be able to sell the book back at the end of the semester.

• Like 1

Our cc bookstore is helpful in finding cheaper options. Their website has links to sites with less expensive used copies. The syllabus ds brought home from English suggested just using the access code and etext if wanted.

The store does sell the access code alone.

I was thrilled that ds 2 could use the same PreCalc book as ds 1.

• Like 1