Menu

First day of dual enrollment!

My ds14 started his classes today at our local junior college. He's taking a 3D art class, and Machine Tool Technology (basically a fairly high tech metal shop class). My stomach was all butterflies when we went in this morning, riding the bus so he would know where to transfer, etc., but all seems to have gone very well! No homework in art, unless he falls behind in class. The other class has homework, but they only meet once a week, so he has time to get the work done. He liked both teachers, and has two homeschool friends (one is his absolute best friend) in the machining class.

My nervousness is giving way to excitement for him. A whole new world is opening up for him, and I think he'll thrive.

We'll be starting up homeschooling again in September, to give him some adjustment time first.

• Like 17

I bet he loves it!

My dd is going into her 2nd year of DE. 

If he has any 'open and go' stuff he can get done for home school, he may want to fit a bit in now before the DE classes really ramp up. The first couple of weeks tend to start slowly, then all the projects and due dates hit at once. He will never have more time this semester than he has now, lol. 

• Like 4

So glad I thought to be paranoid what time her class was scheduled.  I had the time right, but they changed the room to a completely different building.  I just about dropped her off nowhere near where she was supposed to be.  We will still be ridiculously early to make sure she can find it.  I told her once she knows where to go, she is welcome to lounge around outside waiting to go back in.

• Like 1

So... she started out in the wrong class!!  She sent me a text saying she thought she was in the right classroom and there were other kids there but then she asked me teacher's name (cause me pointing that out on her schedule in her backpack was too obvious).  I told her to ask if it was the English Comp 1 class and sure enough, it wasn't.  She was able to find the right one right before class began.  After that she had a good class.  The teacher seems young and energetic, so that should mesh well with DD's personality.

• Like 1

Quick PSA:

If your student is DE-ing and especially taking an academic DE class, please don't wait too long to make copies of the syllabus for your records (if syllabus is not available online). For us, it's only the third day and every syllabus is already dog-eared and looks battered and bruised. Sigh. Boys. :glare:

• Like 6

Quick PSA:

If your student is DE-ing and especially taking an academic DE class, please don't wait too long to make copies of the syllabus for your records (if syllabus is not available online). For us, it's only the third day and every syllabus is already dog-eared and looks battered and bruised. Sigh. Boys. :glare:

I have already copied her assignment schedule, but I should also copy the syllabus.

• Like 1

Quick PSA:

What type of schools require a syllabus for each DE class? I've never saved any from my eldest dd's classes. Luckily, none of the colleges she is applying to seem to desire them. I'm wondering if this is something I should consider for my next dd.

• Like 1

I have not the tiniest idea lol. I was under the impression that it is best to save them for records/reference for course descriptions but maybe that is not necessary? DS sometimes supplements his courses with additional materials so I thought I should save the syllabus to copy some lines of description then append other materials used below that.

What type of schools require a syllabus for each DE class? I've never saved any from my eldest dd's classes. Luckily, none of the colleges she is applying to seem to desire them. I'm wondering if this is something I should consider for my next dd.

If the student wants the credit accepted at another college, or use it for placement in a higher level class, that school may request a syllabus and more detailed information in order to determine whether the class fulfills certain requirements.

So day two went well here. She has her first journal prompt which led to having to email the teacher for specifics. Now we get to see how long it takes for a response. It is a narrative journal entry about how a fairytale should have ended with a word count listed as 150-250. This is a child that can sneeze and have that many words show up on a paper in creative writing. We need to know if that is both a minimum and a maximum or just a guideline.

• Like 2

Glad to know I wasn't imagining things about saving the syllabus. DS is taking classes Mon-Thurs. Everything seems to be going swimmingly including experiment with a Lit class. He practically bounced into the car after class yesterday because he was so excited about a discussion of one of Shulamith Hareven's stories. Apparently he was one of those chosen to read a section out aloud and discuss it. It was mature stuff and I'm so glad he felt prepared for it.

• Like 2

The verdict is in and she has to redo her first journal assignment to 300 words. I feel this teacher will be missing out on the best of what DD can produce creatively. I mean how does one write the ending of a story in 300 words, this isn't a Star Trek episode after all.

Mine begins DE in a few days, statistics and a foreign language.  We are both excited!

The verdict is in and she has to redo her first journal assignment to 300 words. I feel this teacher will be missing out on the best of what DD can produce creatively. I mean how does one write the ending of a story in 300 words, this isn't a Star Trek episode after all.

But that's part of the challenge of the assignment, to make it say as much as it can within that limit.  It's not "missing out," it's for your dd to focus on her storytelling!

DE is such a great transition from homeschool. Different expectations (not higher or lower, just different!), learning to work to please different instructors/profs, and the reward of affirmation from others not connected to homeschooling.

Yep, I'm excited, lol.

• Like 3

I finally had some time yesterday to read all the syllabi copies myself. Assuming the instructors wrote their respective syllabus, it was very interesting to compare the language used/ style of, say, the programming prof with the literature prof. The programming prof writes in a logical, step-by-step fashion while the lit prof spends more time analyzing possible student behavior. :lol:

• Like 2