Menu

What's for dinner + a great way to jazz up rice and beans. M

LucyStoner

I was so tired I couldn't handle the prospect of making what I had planned for dinner (tandoori chicken and aloo gobi). I wanted something fast and cheap so I used this recipe from Thug Kitchen for BBQ bean burritos.

The beans are *delicious*. I didn't want to make peach salsa when I have homemade salsa from yesterday to use up so I just used that. It was great.

Because my kids don't like things too spicy, I used 1/2 the chiles in adobo sauce (2 instead of 4) and increased the orange juice and brown sugar a little. It's easier to add hot sauce or hot salsa on my plate than take it out of theirs. I used leftover Spanish rice, spinach, my leftover salsa and the beans to make mine. The kids had cheese with theirs. Pretty good.

http://www.cookbooks365.com/bbq-bean-burritos-grilled-peach-salsa/

My husband will be happy when he gets home from work. We had to eat, there was no waiting. He isn't getting home til close to seven tonight so we just ate dinner at 5pm. I was starving. The kids can eat their dessert while he has dinner. I might just eat a second dinner, assuming I stay awake. That might be optimistic. :P

What's for dinner at your place? Bonus points for easy recipes a lazy, tired mom can replicate. :).

Slap refried beans, cheese, and salsa on a tortilla.  heat it up in a skillet and maybe fold the tortillas over.

I make up batches of refried beans and freeze them, but canned works too.  I just don't like canned beans as well.

Another one which isn't quick but requires very little preparation time is to boil lentils and rice for an hour or so.  Toss in some salt and pepper.  If people want they can put ketchup or salsa or something on it.  When I get really fancy, I fry up some onions and peppers to go along with it.

• Like 1

Oh here's another one -- put frozen kale or spinach on top of pork.  Cover it and cook it in the oven until the pork is done.  You could put lime juice or red wine vinegar on top before cooking.  (And the usual salt and pepper)

It works well with chicken too.  And you can spice it up with other seasonings if that appeals to you.  Coriander or cumin or tumeric or ginger or garlic powder or something along those lines.

• Like 1

That recipe looks delicious!  It has everything I love in it.  :)

We had pita burgers tonight.  They were good!  Pita bread stuffed with mini hamburger patties (with middle eastern spices), cucumber slices, and a yogurt/lemon juice/dill weed sauce.  Yum!  It was easy to make.

• Like 1

No bonus points here.  We had home-made & home-grown stuffed peppers again.  They were delicious - and I'm smart enough to make enough for left overs since I'm spending a bit of time doing them (from picking, cleaning, preparing, stuffing, & cooking).

All of this week is likely to be "favorites" of youngest son since he leaves to return to college in a week.  I'll probably get a few nights off since he'll want to spend them with his gf, but she's also coming here to eat at least once.  Sunday and Monday we'll go out.  Sunday is my birthday, so I'm NOT cooking.  Monday we're heading to a hotel near the airport (for his early flight Tuesday).  That night we'll eat at an Indian restaurant he requested that's sort of near the airport.

Tuesday we'll be back to scrounging around the kitchen!

• Like 1

Thug Kitchen gets such good reviews. Unfortunately I made a recipe that went from oven to trash can.

I'm not wild about their marinara (carrots? Wut?!) or Italian themed dishes. The things we make the most often from there are the chickpea wraps with tahini dressing and the chickpea and broccoli burritos.