Menu

Violin Advice Needed

Rebecca

My 11 year old daughter has been playing violin for about two years. She is in Suzuki Book 2. She needs to move up to a 3/4 size instrument. Any suggestions? I like to order online. She has played Gilga Romanian violins over these few years...starting with 1/4.

Thank you!!

I have an 11 year old moving up to a 3/4 size.  She is in Suzuki book 5.  We're supposed to bring a new instrument for our first fall lesson actually.  So I'm listening!  :)

We've had the best luck with fit, set up, and ongoing service at local shops actually.  But we live in a major metro and have many options that way.  I'd love to hear brands that stand up.  I still don't want to go SUPER expensive for a 3/4 that we'll probably use for a pretty short time.  She's a fairly reluctant violinist, but does very much love orchestra.  Our 1/2 size is this lovely little hand made 70 year old French instrument.  But we have had it for over 2 years now. 

Our instructor has been very hands off with our instruments since the beginning. :( giving no direction.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for her skill level? I could use Shar. I did see a Yamaha on instrumentalsavings.com.

I do not want to go to a local shop for this because it will cost close to 1000 and I am not ready to invest that much at this level...not to mention that I actually can't.

Thank you Hive!

I recommend southwest strings. We got a great 1/2 size violin from them for $130, bow & case included about 18 months ago. It's only flaw is a somewhat deep scratch but it is superficial (only cosmetic). My son's teacher is very pleased with the sound quality. My son will be ready for a 3/4 size violin soon, and we plan to make another purchase through them again.

I recommend southwest strings. We got a great 1/2 size violin from them for $130, bow & case included about 18 months ago. It's only flaw is a somewhat deep scratch but it is superficial (only cosmetic). My son's teacher is very pleased with the sound quality. My son will be ready for a 3/4 size violin soon, and we plan to make another purchase through them again.

I have had outstanding customer service in the past from Southwest Strings. They would have exchanged a damaged instrument for you if it arrived marred as you describe.

You might want to think about how long she'll be at the 3/4 size.  It's possible renting would be a better option.  Many of the online places also rent instruments if you don't want to do that through a local shop.

If there are music schools near you, often parents try to sell violins their kids have outgrown through ads on bulletin boards or whatever.  There might be facebook groups for these schools.

And then there's craigslist.  I got a reasonably priced 3/4 Eastman cello that way.  Although you won't get a good set up if you go through craigslist (usually).

We find that it makes sense to rent, and found a large New England shop (Johnson Strings) that will also send rentals by mail if we don't feel like driving there.  I am sure they would send rentals outside of New England as well.   There are probably other online rental shops, but this is one I could recommend.  What I love about renting is that the insurance is included in the monthly rental fee -- so if a tiny violinist accidentally sits on her tiny violin, or has some other disaster, you can just send it back and get a replacement.  This hasn't happened yet, by the way; but it could.  I know a family who rents at the same place, and has had several replacements already. 

Violin repairs can be extremely expensive (a minimum of $500 just to remove the top, plus many more hundreds to repair cracking, as I was recently quoted on an instrument that I own), so I love the peace of mind of knowing I can allow the children to just practice in a relaxed manner without hovering over them every minute and making sure they do not drop the instrument.

Not to hijack... But at what age do most children moved out of a 3/4 sized violin?

I think this can vary widely based on the size of the child and the philosophy of the teacher.  I know our teacher would prefer an instrument be too small than a little too big.  I know kids from age 10-15 who've moved to a full size.  A friend of my daughter who plays violin and is 11 just skipped 3/4 size and moved to a full.  My daughter is only 3 months younger and is just moving into a 3/4 size.  My dd is not short for age, but has a narrow build and small shoulders.  I played growing up and got a full size at age 12. 

I was going to add, part of the reason we have used our local shop is because they gave us an 80% of what we paid as a trade in to size up.  I allows us to spend a relatively small amount of money to get a slightly better instrument every time.  When we get a full size, all bets are off on that.  I do feel like now that my kid is in a more committed orchestra program and learning concertos, etc, I need a litle nicer instrument.  I love our 1/2 size.

• Like 1

We find that it makes sense to rent, and found a large New England shop (Johnson Strings) that will also send rentals by mail if we don't feel like driving there. I am sure they would send rentals outside of New England as well. There are probably other online rental shops, but this is one I could recommend. What I love about renting is that the insurance is included in the monthly rental fee -- so if a tiny violinist accidentally sits on her tiny violin, or has some other disaster, you can just send it back and get a replacement. This hasn't happened yet, by the way; but it could. I know a family who rents at the same place, and has had several replacements already.

Violin repairs can be extremely expensive (a minimum of $500 just to remove the top, plus many more hundreds to repair cracking, as I was recently quoted on an instrument that I own), so I love the peace of mind of knowing I can allow the children to just practice in a relaxed manner without hovering over them every minute and making sure they do not drop the instrument.

Actually, Johnson will only allow you to "total" a violin once, so you still need to make sure they handle their instruments carefully!

Actually, Johnson will only allow you to "total" a violin once, so you still need to make sure they handle their instruments carefully!

Oh yes, we are careful!  We have never had any accidents with our rental violins, and would certainly not want to take advantage of the situation.  

Maybe I misunderstood what my friends had said, but I do know they have had several problems with a particular violinist in their family, and have had to go in for repairs or possibly a replacement.  It could be that the repairs were minor.  I can understand why Johnson would need to have that policy.

I should also mention that rental places like Johnson allow you to apply some of your rental fees towards your purchase of a violin for that particular student once you decide to own.  

• Like 1

Our teacher has always advised us to get the best sounding violin that we can afford.  Our old violin and cello teachers were very picky about what their students played and they would encourage students with very nice sounding instruments to keep them in the community by selling their instruments to other students.  That worked really well for us for cello - we didn't have to go and find an instrument until ds hit full size.  All of our other cellos were passed down from other students.  One of the cellos had been with students of our teacher for over 20 years - passed from student to student.  It looked like a truck had run over it, but it sounded fantastic.

We didn't have the same luck with violin - there just wasn't anyone around selling the size we needed when we needed it.  

You've had some good advice.  Have you thought about getting another Gliga?  We were really happy with our 3/4 Gliga cello.  That would be a safe bet for you.  You want your 3/4 to be a step up from the 1/2 size, but your dd may not be on it for long so it makes sense to buy something that you'll either be able to trade in towards the full size or something that will be easy to sell.  I would also start putting money away now for the full size - get dd involved if you can.  My eldest ds busked to save money towards his full size bow.