Menu

Moms of many - What are you making for dinners?

phathui5

We're up to seven children at our house and life has been very busy, between work, foster kid appointments, and regularly scheduled kid stuff. What are you doing for dinner that doesn't take a lot of time, does feed a lot of people, and is reasonably healthy?

We like to make carnitas burritos.  I found a Crock Pot brand seasoning mix that I throw in the slow cooker with a pork shoulder and it is delicious!  Just shred when you're ready with fixings.

I make up a large batch of pasta salad with lots of veggies in it, some cheese and diced ham or salami.  We have that with fruit on the side for many lunches.

Tonight we're having tacos.  Last night we had lentil, veggie & rice soup.  The day before that we had cheese and tomato sandwiches.  Tomorrow will be something involving potatoes, tomatoes, and ham, because that's what I have on hand.  I keep it as simple as I can get away with.  

Just a bit of advice from someone with seven whose olders are now young adults: Watch for kids, as they get older, who really like to cook. Involve them a lot with you and allow them (nearly) free range in the kitchen as they desire it.  I suppose it may be somewhat rare, but we have a total foodie girl who's 17 and for the past 4-5 years, she has seriously (no exaggeration) cooked 90% to 95% of the meals; this was not by requirement, but because she's *wanted* to. Maybe you love to cook yourself, but that isn't me (I don't mind cooking, but I don't love it -- it doesn't relax me -- like with her), so this has been such a huge blessing.  We've had foods I never would have made and there's been a wide variety of meals on the table three times a day.  I'm starting to hit the downside now as she's getting busier with outside activities (I have to start doing it more again!) but it's been a fun -- and yummy! -- ride. 

Unasked for advice, I know.  Just thought it might be helpful -- TIOLI!

• Like 9

My inlaws paid their eldest daughter to cook dinner 3 nights a week lol. She is now a cake decorator by trade and loves food, the sort of person who plans and cooks a four course meal for fun. 

But, I go with things like spaghetti bologneise, pasta bake, burritos, and various forms of curry (our kids are ok with spice), oh or chilli con carne. Or just plain marinated chicken with a big salad. Or store bought lasagna isnt too bad. 

• Like 1

Just a bit of advice from someone with seven whose olders are now young adults: Watch for kids, as they get older, who really like to cook. Involve them a lot with you and allow them (nearly) free range in the kitchen as they desire it. I suppose it may be somewhat rare, but we have a total foodie girl who's 17 and for the past 4-5 years, she has seriously (no exaggeration) cooked 90% to 95% of the meals; this was not by requirement, but because she's *wanted* to. Maybe you love to cook yourself, but that isn't me (I don't mind cooking, but I don't love it -- it doesn't relax me -- like with her), so this has been such a huge blessing. We've had foods I never would have made and there's been a wide variety of meals on the table three times a day. I'm starting to hit the downside now as she's getting busier with outside activities (I have to start doing it more again!) but it's been a fun -- and yummy! -- ride.

Unasked for advice, I know. Just thought it might be helpful -- TIOLI!

Thank you so much for sharing this

We have 4 kids and have at least one or two extra over one to two nights per week.

1. We have a routine. Monday is the fancy night because I'm feeling ambitious. Tuesday is Mexican (burrito, taco, enchilada if we have time). Wednesdays are soups/chilis/dal. Thursdays are a big salad and bread.  Friday is pizza, homemade if we can swing it, otherwise Trader Joe is our friend. Saturday is fillets or grill or a roast, but always a one-pot dinner. Sunday is fend for yourself all the leftovers are going night. Every. Single. Week. 

2. Costco prepared food at least once a week saves our lives.

The key for us is not to have to think. Thinking makes it all so overwhelming. If the kids want something else, fine. Spell epicurious.com for them and have them find something they want and find the ingredients. We will buy reasonable ingredients but not drive past the local store.

• Like 2

My inlaws paid their eldest daughter to cook dinner 3 nights a week lol....

It did get to the point where we did start paying her. It's not a ton, but not a pittance either.  It helps her know we do understand that she's playing a big role in helping the home run (more) smoothly. 

As for dinner ideas, OP:

1) Cowboy Caviar: Mix black beans, corn and tomatoes with onion, diced sweet peppers, and other such things.  Add some type of light vinegar dressing and serve with chips. 

2) Similarly, mix black beans, corn, tomatoes and Cheddar cheese together and use as burrito filling. Once you've rolled the burrito, heat it slowly in a skillet to melt the cheese, brown the burrito and heat the ingredients through.  Or do several in an oven pan and heat them all up together. 

3) Pesto pasta:  Make a quart or two of a spinach-based pesto sauce to have in the fridge.  Serve over pasta. 

4) We often have salad for dinner.  Greens, almond slivers, dried cranberries or blueberries or strawberries, and dressing.  You could also make up a batch of quinoa and serve a scoop or two of that over the top.  Dressing of choice.  

And I agree with the post directly above this one.  Having a sort-of plan for every week helps.  We did things like meat Mondays, taco Tuesdays, vegan Wednesdays and Fridays, and maybe pasta Thursdays or something. 

HTH!

• Like 1

Monday we had pulled pork sandwiches - put a pork butt in the crock pot with 2 envelopes of onion soup mix. I made sure I bought a big one, so that tonight, I took the leftovers, fried them up with lots of garlic, cumin, salt and pepper to make carnitas and ate it with corn tortillas and guacamole. Very yummy and easy!

• Like 1

I was going to say cereal until you said healthy.  

Taco salad is my super fast yummy dinner.  I always have the ingredients on hand.  Ground beef, two cans of kidney beans, can corn, jar of taco sauce, garlic powder, chili powder, tortillas (or rice), cheese, sour cream, black olives, lettuce, tomato, avocado.  

Or baked drumsticks.  Put them in a pan, salt & pepper them, garlic and italian if you want. Throw in some butter to melt in the pan.  Bake 350 for 45 min.  SO good.  All you need is a starch and vege side.

• Like 1