Menu

Anyone know of any online math program than is free?

My dh seems to think there has to be something out there that we could use for free off the web. I'm sure there is, but is there anything that is actually good and works? I hate the idea of my dc sitting at the computer every day for math work. It would be great if there was something out there that was free that we could print off. I know there are many sites that offer free math worksheets, but what I need is something that offers guidance with it.

I haven't personally used this. I just bookmarked it when someone posted it.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

I haven't personally used MEP either, but they do have a Yahoo Group:

MEP-Homeschoolers

I joined it while researching math programs last year. It's a fairly active group with some good support for the program.

HTH!

http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/

I first heard about this about 4 years ago through a local hs group. The hs dad who passed the info along said that this program had originally been used mainly w/ gifted math students, but that so much teacher training was required that school systems dropped it rather than invest in the training time. I don't know if that's accurate or not, but I did use the materials w/ my dd in K/1st for about a year -- it worked really well & it was enjoyable. For the younger grades, all the materials are there -- I think the teacher guide was over 300 pages long. Everything is explained very well & it's pretty easy to understand (imo) once you get the hang of what they're doing. I think it might be an especially good for for visual learners (again, just my opinion there).

It's completely free, though if you print out everything, you will need a lot of paper & sometimes it is easier to have a color printer (for a few of the pages, though the majority are b/w).

It's worth taking a look at....

I'm very pleased with the math we're doing.

We're using level 2 and 3, in tandem, for our boys.

The games are especially challenging (*sheesh*) but foundationally, I'm really pleased with where the boys are with their mathematical thinking. I would make sure you do all of the math questions -- the oral questions in the TM are very important.

A note of caution, it took me about a month to get grooving with the program . . . it's ALOT of math. Level 3 ds works for an hour on math everyday -- sometimes it's a struggle to finish one daily lesson, other times he can finish 2, if the work isn't lots of computation.

If you are an American, you'll find the measuring units will make you crazy, but just find other sheets to use, maybe?

The yahoo group is fabulous --- you'll find lots of long-term users who can answer your questions. The university profs will also reply if you find yourself in trouble.

I'm beyond pleased with this math . . . not just because it's free. I think it's really great. I'm relearning my way with this program.

HTH's

Tricia

I used a lot of CSMP as a supplement to Singapore Math for my son. It's different, but quite fun. Every grade includes an entire Logic stream as well.

I also use a lot of the materials at the Learn NC site which support the North Carolina standards. The main page for math resources is here.

I use the worksheets called Week by Week Essentials (hidden in the Grades x-x Resources links), which also include problem-solving and games for practicing math facts. There is an entire teachers manual there for every grade as well, although they are organized by strand and not set up as a daily or weekly curriculum plan.

Nikita

This is why I love this WTM site -OK, besides the comradarie, I love that too- but as a new dad this is what brought me here in the first place. I can't begin to thank you because everybody in this link is so helpful. The web is an amazing thing and you all are a wealth of good information.

Thank you all and I hope I can find some really nice stuff here.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to try MEP, it's seems to be what I'm looking for.

If you are doing MEP, than I want to put in another plug for Rainforest Maths. I found out about from the MEP yahoo group. It dovetails with MEP beautifully! And it is so visually appealing that my kids cannot resist it! They enjoy math in spite of themselves!!!:)