Menu

Memory Work Resources?

Guest workingathomeschool

Guest workingathomeschool

I'm new to TWTM, and I've got five children to homeschool, with the oldest being in sixth grade. Reading the book, it really resonated with me that memory work is essential. We've been using MFW for years, and I feel that the memorization has been severely lacking (aside from scripture memory). Yet when I look into classical education at home with memory work, I can only find Classical Conversations, which we can't afford.

I already use most of the book suggestions in TWTM, but I don't know where to start with memorization. Are there any resources or suggestions available for us to go started in this?

I found myself in the exact same dilemma as yours. I recently purchased Living Memory by Andrew Campbell (about $33 from rainbowresource). I haven't started using it yet, but gave peeked in it and like what it covers. And I really like that it has material to work on from K-12th

We focused our memory work on memorizing poetry. It has been extremely fulfilling for us. My dd, who is extremely intellectual and loves to write her own poetry, has chosen Hunting Song of the Seeonee Pack by Rudyard Kipling as her favorite poem (with William Carlos Williams' This is Just to Say a close second). My son, who struggles with dyslexia and other learning disabilities, has gotten even more from poetry memorization than my daughter. His favorite poems are Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost and Charge of the Light Brigade by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. I cannot emphasize enough to you how positive poetry memorization has been for us.

The resources we have used are A Family of Poems and Poems to Learn by Heart, both by Caroline Kennedy and with simply gorgeous illustrations by Jon J. Muth. 

Poetry memorization has truly been the highlight of our homeschool for the past 8 years.

• Like 3

I'm thrilled with the Classical Conversations guide which has all of the memory work in it. I also love the CC Timeline Song. I intend to purchase Living Memory as well as Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization. Catholic Memory is another resource but I've never seen it and don't have a clue what's in it.

I found myself in the exact same dilemma as yours. I recently purchased Living Memory by Andrew Campbell (about $33 from rainbowresource). I haven't started using it yet, but gave peeked in it and like what it covers. And I really like that it has material to work on from K-12th

We used this extensively. 

It's also available for purchase as a PDF download on Lulu for $15: 

http://www.lulu.com/shop/andrew-a-campbell/living-memory/ebook/product-17520206.html

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

*** OLD THREAD! ***

In case anyone else wants samples of the Creek Edge recitations, I hunted a bit and found it on this page

And in case anyone is foraging for help organizing for the upcoming year (or even this one), this is another old thread with memory work  organization ideas I'm finding helpful.