Menu

Blueberry pie....need best recipes and tips

Ottakee

My girls went blueberry picking after church today and we have enough for a pie. I have never made a blueberry pie before. I do have frozen unbaked pie crust in the freezer. Any great tips, tricks, or recipes?

I can do crisps, cobblers, muffins, breads,etc but have never done a blueberry pie. We live in the county that produces more blueberries than any other county in the nation (or so they claim) and we have access to a lot of free berries for the picking.

I use the blueberry pie recipe from Grand Central Bakery here in Seattle.

4 cups of blueberries

1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of sugar

2 tablespoon lemon zest

2 tablespoons cornstartch

1 tablespoon lemon juice

Mix berries, sugar and zest. Mix the lemon juice and cornstartch into a slurry. Combine. Assemble a double crust pie with either a lattice top or plenty of vents.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, then rotate pan and lower oven temp to 350 and back for 30 more minutes. Filling should be bubbling. If you have designs on cutting this pie while it is still warm, up the cornstarch.

This pie is a hit with my friends and family.

I can't imagine that blueberry pie is any different from blueberry cobbler, except you make a pastry topping instead of a crumble topping.

Well that depends on the consistency you want. I make some lemon bars with blueberries that I practically jelly the blueberries for. In general I would prefer my pie not leak out everywhere and cause the top crust to droop. Cobbler though, I just bake it and let it do what it will do with no cornstartch or reducing.

I just made a blueberry pie tonight. :)

1 pie crust

4 cups blueberries

1 c. sugar

1/4 c. water

3 Tbsp. Cornstarch

1 Tbsp. Butter

Precook your pie crust and let cool.

Line shell with 2 c. blueberries.

In pot: remaining berries, sugar, water and cornstarch. Cook over medium until berries have broken down, sauce is thickened and bubbly, and a dark purple color.

Remove from heat and stir in butter. Let cool a couple of minutes, then pour over the berries in the crust. Chill a few hours before serving.

The pie was good. We had nice fresh sweet berries but the recipe either had a bit too much lemon juice or not quite enough sugar. It was easy to make and did set up well. With a bit of tweaking I would use it again.

You have to taste the berries and tweak the super from there. I bake a lot of blueberry pie and sometimes 1/2 cup is too little and other times it's almost too much sugar. You have a bake a fair number of pies to get a sense of the right level of sweetness because the berries vary in sweetness so much.