Menu

Why do I feel like I'm losing my mind? (PSAT options)

As I'm planning my dd's 8th grade year, I'm looking at our high school intentions.  I knew the PSAT was changing, but now there's also PSAT 8/9 and PSAT 10?  How do these vary from PSAT/NMSQT?  I'm having a lot of difficulty sifting through the website to understand differences and find out whether or not there's any requirement to stick to grade level.

When searching test dates for our zoned and surrounding districts, they only list PSAT/NMSQT dates.  When I saw the 8/9, I thought about having dd try that in the spring round of testing (as listed on the website) but it doesn't appear to be an option.

Not that I thought I had high school under control or anything, but I feel like I've been thrown for an unexpected loop already!

• Like 1

:grouphug: from someone who is finding the regular PSAT hard to figure out.

I think they are all only given in October. I know annual testing is normally in the spring but maybe it could be done using the PSAT levels in the fall....that way your dd would get practice for the later PSAT.

As I'm planning my dd's 8th grade year, I'm looking at our high school intentions.  I knew the PSAT was changing, but now there's also PSAT 8/9 and PSAT 10?  How do these vary from PSAT/NMSQT?  I'm having a lot of difficulty sifting through the website to understand differences and find out whether or not there's any requirement to stick to grade level.

When searching test dates for our zoned and surrounding districts, they only list PSAT/NMSQT dates.  When I saw the 8/9, I thought about having dd try that in the spring round of testing (as listed on the website) but it doesn't appear to be an option.

Not that I thought I had high school under control or anything, but I feel like I've been thrown for an unexpected loop already!

Very good questions.  With two eighth graders and a ninth grader, we have virtually all the same questions.

We prefer to have them test with the "official" eleventh-grade test instead of possibly-watered-down versions for younger children.

I have to go to the admin building today, so maybe someone there can clarify for me, or point me to someone who can.

From the site:

"The PSAT 8/9 is the first test in the SAT Suite of Assessments. Tightly aligned with the SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, and PSAT 10, it establishes a baseline for college and career readiness as students enter high school. The PSAT 8/9 is designed for eighth- and ninth-graders. ReadiStep has been discontinued.

The PSAT 8/9 is offered in the fall and spring. Schools and districts can choose a test date between Sept. 28 and Jan. 29 or between Feb. 22 and March 4. For ordering deadlines, go to PSAT 8/9 Dates."

"Students in 10th and 11th grade can take the new PSAT/NMSQT for the first time in October 2015. The PSAT 10 will be available to 10th-grade students in the spring.

Students sign up for the PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10 with their school counselor.

The PSAT/NMSQT and the PSAT 10 cover the same content areas. Both tests provide students and educators with the chance to check in on progress toward college and career readiness and success. And both serve as an excellent way for students to preview and practice for the SAT, because they are tightly aligned with the new SAT."

• Like 1

Call me cynical, but I think this is just an attempt by the "non-profit" College Board to increase its market share by offering a test to students who wouldn't be old enough to take the PSAT.  Plus, if the kids are exposed at a younger age to the SAT format, the CB is probably hoping that these students will stick with the SAT rather than the ACT when they are old enough to take these tests.

My public schools only permits its 10th and 11th graders to take the PSAT.  My guess is that my public school will begin offering the other two tests to its younger students.

• Like 6

I called my local public school about the PSAT8 and they said, "I thought that test was being discontinued?" But that's not true because it's a brand new test. So, basically they didn't have a clue.

I called the local private school and they said, "Eh, we don't offer tests before 10th grade."

I sort of gave up at that point. My only reasons for thinking of having my son take the test was just practice being in a foreign place taking a test. I didn't care about scores or anything. I agree with a poster above that it feels a bit like a money making racket.

I agree with Garga ETA:  Snowbelt   that this is just another product that the CB is trying to sell.  I've never heard of these tests and I've had some of my kids in talent search programs.   I say don't sweat it.  Plan on a practice PSAT in 10th and chill about the rest.  No one I know has taken those tests (and we live in an area of high achievement) so your kids will not be behind.  If you think your pre-highschool  kids would do welll, you could just have them take the SAT for practice through a talent search organization.  Or, you could just do some practice tests at home. 

(Our high school does offer a "pre-ACT" to high school freshman, but it is optional. )

(Our high school does offer a "pre-ACT" to high school freshman, but it is optional. )

The pre-ACT exam is the ACT Aspire, formerly PLAN, right?

So, other than for talent search programs, I guess the advantage to taking a pre-real exam like the PSAT or Aspire rather than just taking the SAT or ACT is that they give you a baseline, but the scores don't go on the student's permanent record? 

The pre-ACT exam is the ACT Aspire, formerly PLAN, right?

So, other than for talent search programs, I guess the advantage to taking a pre-real exam like the PSAT or Aspire rather than just taking the SAT or ACT is that they give you a baseline, but the scores don't go on the student's permanent record? 

Also, your name is in the college board's database that much sooner so they can start selling your kid's name and address right away!

Also, only PSAT/NMSQT and only during junior year is a talent search for scholarships. Sophomore year it truly is just for practice and so the college board can sell the data.