Menu

Voter Registration, etc: What else needs to be done when your child turns 18?

Here any drivers license restrictions that are in place get lifted, so their license actually expires & they have to get a new one. If they've already been driving for a while, they have already done this, though.

Um, multi quote isn't working. He isn't driving yet and has no desire to learn. I'm okay with that for now as I can't afford the insurance and I'd rather he not work during his first year of college. 

Transition from a pediatrician to an adult doctor (if he's still been going to a pediatrician)

Certain work restrictions get lifted at 18 - for example, ds can now operate the trash compactor at his work (this was a big deal to him!)

He already has a regular physician. That's funny about the trash compactor.

I would have him fill out a Power of Attorney form listing you as his POA.  I can't tell you the number of times I've had to sign for my kids for important things.  (If they are on a semester abroad, etc.)  Being able to sign for them on various forms has simplified a lot of things.

• Like 1

If you have a trust for minors or other savings established for your child, there will be paperwork the child needs to sign when they turn 18. My daughter had to authorize us to continue to manage her trust. She also had a youth account through USAA, and I believe she had to sign something when she became an adult member of the credit union.

• Like 1

A credit card? You can add a teen to your own credit card and give them one in their name, but it's still your account. This establishes better credit and it doesn't give them much of a chance to screw up. That's what my mom did for me when I was a teen. I was "technically" on her card but I cut up the card. I basically benefited from her good choices for the first few years of my credit history. She also knew, throughout college, when she had co-signed on loans, what my credit was.

I wouldn't do that with an irresponsible teen, but if the purpose is to help a responsible teen establish good credit, that is a very safe way to do it.

• Like 2

I would personally consider encouraging driving.  He can drive on a permit with you for at least a year and then he would have experience before getting the license  You don't have to pay insurance when they have a permit(at least in our state you don't).  Though if you live in an area where you never need to drive this won't help him much.  I think a lot of experience is beneficial.  You could get a year down the road and find he has a need for a car/license and have no experience.  

• Like 1