Menu

Where are you finding good deals on dorm linens?

Seasider

If you're near an IKEA, they have some. I'm going to pick up a mattress protecter tonight for about $6, IIRC.

Target should have some but I don't know how much they are.

Probably JC Penney.

Garnet Hill but they cost a bit more. I bought a set a few years ago and that's what my son will be taking.

• Like 1

We purchased the comforter and sheets in the store from Target. 

We purchased a foam mattress pad online from Target. 

We purchased a mattress cover online from Bed Bath & Beyond.

We have been watching for sales and getting coupons in the mail and/or online for a few weeks now. 

Right now Target has a coupon code that gives $10 off orders of $50 and $25 off orders of $100 for bedding & bath. The code is COUPON. You can also go to the store and follow the directions on a sign for them to text you the same coupon for use in the store. 

Bed Bath & Beyond has 20% off coupons that are easy to find online and we also have a 20% off total purchase coupon that we received in the mail. 

As we were shopping online, I carefully looked at the length of items in the description. The university said that the mattresses are 80" long. All of the items we purchased were designated "Twin Extra Long" with the exception of the mattress pad. It was designated as "Twin" but the measurement has it coming in at 80", so it is the correct size. 

• Like 3

If you're near an IKEA, they have some. I'm going to pick up a mattress protecter tonight for about $6, IIRC.

Target should have some but I don't know how much they are.

Probably JC Penney.

Garnet Hill but they cost a bit more. I bought a set a few years ago and that's what my son will be taking.

I was thinking IKEA only had bedding for their own unique size foam mattresses. I haven't really shopped beds there - so I guess they DO sell standard sizes, including the extra long twin? And thanks for the reminder about the mattress protector. Raptordad mentioned that the clearance section of Garnet Hill might be a great spot for quality on a budget.

We purchased the comforter and sheets in the store from Target. 

We purchased a foam mattress pad online from Target. 

We purchased a mattress cover online from Bed Bath & Beyond.

We have been watching for sales and getting coupons in the mail and/or online for a few weeks now. 

Right now Target has a coupon code that gives $10 off orders of $50 and $25 off orders of $100 for bedding & bath. The code is COUPON. You can also go to the store and follow the directions on a sign for them to text you the same coupon for use in the store. 

Bed Bath & Beyond has 20% off coupons that are easy to find online and we also have a 20% off total purchase coupon that we received in the mail. 

As we were shopping online, I carefully looked at the length of items in the description. The university said that the mattresses are 80" long. All of the items we purchased were designated "Twin Extra Long" with the exception of the mattress pad. It was designated as "Twin" but the measurement has it coming in at 80", so it is the correct size. 

Thanks for answering both my threads! Great info.

• Like 1

Well, while I'd like to buy the boy nice sheets because I appreciate a nice pair of high thread count sheets, the reality is that I know what his laundry habits are and there just isn't any point. Target in the city closest to us always carries dorm sheets - the extra long twins. They are cheap and that's what we will get. This same kid can sleep on a bed of bark mulch and rocks, LOL, so I doubt he'd notice the difference between low and high quality. :toetap05:

I don't leave him in the dorms until August 2016, but there are always three or four sets that end up in the 50% off clearance after Labor Day. So, I am going to buy them this year and take advantage of the savings.

• Like 3

One warning against the knit sheets at Target.  Oldest DD has had them for 2 years.  Well, 3 semesters as she was studying abroad one of those.  They have pilled terribly and the elastic is stretched out.  

If you will only spend 2 years in the dorms, you will be probably be fine.  She is going back for Jr year in the dorm and I will be replacing sheets.

These are the cheap knit (t-shirt type) XL twin at Target.

• Like 1

One warning against the knit sheets at Target. Oldest DD has had them for 2 years. Well, 3 semesters as she was studying abroad one of those. They have pilled terribly and the elastic is stretched out.

If you will only spend 2 years in the dorms, you will be probably be fine. She is going back for Jr year in the dorm and I will be replacing sheets.

One of my kids likes the feel of these, but they don't last.

We bought a twin extra-long mattress cover -- Angsvide -- at IKEA for about $5, but I don't think they carry anything else that size.

Target has microfiber sheets in that size. I bought pillow cases but I don't know how they hold up.

Here's some jersey knit sheets that feel amazing and hold up very well.  Pricier but they usually go on sale or you can at least get a 20% off coupon.  I'm surprised that only a few colors are available.  Not sure if they're discontinuing them or just waiting on a shipment.  http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/pure-beech-reg-jersey-knit-sheet-set/132843  IMO the most important thing is a foam topper as some of the dorm mattresses are really hard.  I think it's WUSTL which provides a Tempurpedic mattress for all students.  For the rest of us, a thick foam topper works well. 

I'm having trouble with links working, but you can just google BB&B pure beech jersey knit sheets. 

Oh, the other thing I am doing for ds is making a quilt for his bed...all leftovers of other projects, and tied. No investment in long arm.

He is the kind of kid that doesn't want more than one blanket, and my homemade, all cotton quilts launder well and last longer than the cheap blankets and bedspreads from Walmart and Target. I would not want to send anything expensive so this is a good alternative. I have some random blues, blacks, greens, and reds left in my batiks - enough to cobble together the kind of quilt top that can be made in an afternoon because it's nothing but 8" squares.

So, if you are a person who likes to sew, that would be one option for a high quality, low price bedspread. Added bonus, my mom agreed to tie it for me. YAY!

One warning against the knit sheets at Target.  Oldest DD has had them for 2 years.  Well, 3 semesters as she was studying abroad one of those.  They have pilled terribly and the elastic is stretched out.  

If you will only spend 2 years in the dorms, you will be probably be fine.  She is going back for Jr year in the dorm and I will be replacing sheets.

Well shoot, I just bought some of those. At least we haven't laundered them yet so I can return them. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for all the resources! After checking all over online, we ended up getting sheets and a comforter from Target and got the College discount, I am glad to hear that y'all have been mostly pleased with the Target products. We got the microfiber (I love the feel of the jersey but have had them before and experienced the pilling). IKEA did not have XL twin size in a high enough thread count - the ones they appeared to be marketing to the college crowd were 144, iirc. I did see other nice and very reasonably priced sheet sets for other bed sizes, so I will be back to get myself some new sheets later in the year. 

• Like 1