Menu

A guide to elementary math? Something vintage maybe?

I'm looking for something really short and succinct but fairly comprehensive, doesn't need to have exercises. I'm hoping to find something free - maybe something vintage or an online resource I could use.

This is for a creative math project I'm trying to put together for ds, who is starting 6th grade and needing to do some outside the box review of basic concepts.

There's a vintage basic arithmetic text on Don Potter's website that is like a distilled-down version of Ray's arithmetic; if that style is helpful, this book will be a million times quicker to sift through.

Description: http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/math.html

The book: https://books.google.com/books?id=BtZHAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=first+lessons+in+arithmetic+jones+brothers&source=bl&ots=gO8kRIUZcI&sig=f0asBNyjZ_FKk31oWOGWVjfzGj4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PI90UIfSPOqU2QXK6oC4BQ&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=first%20lessons%20in%20arithmetic%20jones%20brothers&f=false

• Like 1

Hm... none of these are quite right and I really don't want to spend money if possible.

This ds is more verbal and I feel like he needs a hook for math right now. He's struggling with math in a weird way... Anyway, I thought maybe focusing on the why would be useful for him. I think he gets it, but I had an idea for him to do a sort of silly project where he's a survivor of a zombie apocalypse and all that's left of math is the remains of an elementary guide and he has to rewrite all the missing explanations and examples for why it all works the way it does. So I want to find something where basic numbers, arithmetic, and maybe measurement are all explained pretty succinctly with examples. And then I'm going to rip out bits of it to be the fragments of what's left and he has to turn it each fragment into something that makes sense. I guess I could create something, but that sounds like way more work.

Hm... none of these are quite right and I really don't want to spend money if possible.

This ds is more verbal and I feel like he needs a hook for math right now. He's struggling with math in a weird way... Anyway, I thought maybe focusing on the why would be useful for him. I think he gets it, but I had an idea for him to do a sort of silly project where he's a survivor of a zombie apocalypse and all that's left of math is the remains of an elementary guide and he has to rewrite all the missing explanations and examples for why it all works the way it does. So I want to find something where basic numbers, arithmetic, and maybe measurement are all explained pretty succinctly with examples. And then I'm going to rip out bits of it to be the fragments of what's left and he has to turn it each fragment into something that makes sense. I guess I could create something, but that sounds like way more work.

Ah. I misunderstood the object but now I get it.

I found this at Amazon. The author says he was trying to use a zombie apocalypse survival model to get his kid interested in math...click on the "Read More" under the blurb.

http://www.amazon.com/Math-Zombie-Apocalypse-For-Book-ebook/dp/B00F316AUK

• Like 2

Ah. I misunderstood the object but now I get it.

I found this at Amazon. The author says he was trying to use a zombie apocalypse survival model to get his kid interested in math...click on the "Read More" under the blurb.

http://www.amazon.com/Math-Zombie-Apocalypse-For-Book-ebook/dp/B00F316AUK

Still not quite what I had in mind, but that's hilarious! I might need to get it for him anyway! :D

• Like 2

Funny. My kids have no interest in zombies, however, almost an aversion. It will serve them in the apocalypse, I guess.

Farrar, want me to send you my copy of Kitchen Table Math? I'm never going to use that three volume, chrome-coated brick. I mean, I love the books, but don't have the kung-fu powers to pull it offers, and my youngest is half-way through Miquon at this point. PM me if interested, it would be free for you.

If not, can you print or some MM pages on cardstock, rip some up, singe a few edges, splatter some with food colored white glue and flutter them down the stairs?

• Like 1

Funny. My kids have no interest in zombies, however, almost an aversion. It will serve them in the apocalypse, I guess.

Farrar, want me to send you my copy of Kitchen Table Math? I'm never going to use that three volume, chrome-coated brick. I mean, I love the books, but don't have the kung-fu powers to pull it offers, and my youngest is half-way through Miquon at this point. PM me if interested, it would be free for you.

If not, can you print or some MM pages on cardstock, rip some up, singe a few edges, splatter some with food colored white glue and flutter them down the stairs?

I used to have KTM! But no, more like the MM pages... I'm going to go dig back through my digital archives for the old ones, I guess...

• Like 1

What about something like this math reference pamphlet? You could photocopy and physical tear off or burn parts. It might be beyond 6th grade in some areas but you could leave that intact. There is also parts 2 & 3. I've enjoyed this series for actual useful reference personally as well, so you might get more use out of it after the zombies are defeated and civilization is reborn ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/142320395X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1437984257&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=math+reference&dpPl=1&dpID=514RpbYea4L&ref=plSrch

ETA: There are ones for 6th grade: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1423217683/ref=pd_aw_sim_14_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=0B5K8R0EFQCWTAG26P29#immersive-view_1437984584848

5th grade:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1423217675/ref=pd_aw_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=07ZSJYK9X6TF6PH578N3

4th grade:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1423221583/ref=pd_aw_sim_14_21?ie=UTF8&refRID=15AMHTED3HZABK8KJQRR

• Like 1

How about "Problems Without Figures"? A whole book of word problems without numbers, to stimulate thinking and discussion.

I keep meaning to transcribe and modernize this public-domain gem, but haven't gotten around to it yet. You can take a similar approach to word problems from any source, just leaving out the numbers.

Another good approach is to leave the numbers in, but omit the question -- let kids tell you what questions *they* would ask. Or combine the two: Give *part* of the problem setup, and ask what the kids notice or wonder. Then add the rest of the problem setup (but not the problem question), and see which of the kids' questions they can answer. What additional information would they need to answer the others?

• Like 3

How about "Problems Without Figures"? A whole book of word problems without numbers, to stimulate thinking and discussion.

I keep meaning to transcribe and modernize this public-domain gem, but haven't gotten around to it yet. You can take a similar approach to word problems from any source, just leaving out the numbers.

Another good approach is to leave the numbers in, but omit the question -- let kids tell you what questions *they* would ask. Or combine the two: Give *part* of the problem setup, and ask what the kids notice or wonder. Then add the rest of the problem setup (but not the problem question), and see which of the kids' questions they can answer. What additional information would they need to answer the others?

That is the coolest book! I pulled together random things last night to build the zombie math for him. But we're totally going to use that too. That's excellent. Maybe I'll transcribe it. It's excellent!

• Like 1

This is awesome! Thanks! 

Farrar, look on Google Books for School Arithmetics by George Wentworth and David Eugene Smith. There are three volumes. Longer than what you want but free!

• Like 1

So... I OCR'ed the first half of that and have cleaned most of it up so I can print it off and use it with ds. It is both excellent and hilariously out of date. People in 1909 still thought about everything in terms of agriculture. And everyone was expected to know a lot about horses. And apparently there is a measurement called a "gill" which was smaller than a quart but which I've never heard of in my entire life.

I'm considering just doing an autoreplace of "apples" for "smart phones."

• Like 2

So updating this is sort of fun, even if it stopped me from finishing my zombie math program for tonight.

Tell me what you think. One of the questions is:

A coin was found bearing the inscription 420 B.C. How old was it?

Do we think it's a trick question or an error?

Oh, it's just plain awesome! :lol: I vote trick question if the rest of the writing is witty, hilarious error if not.

Well-written, but definitely not witty. It's one of the ones I changed. I made it:

Carbon dating shows a comb from Egypt is from 1960 B.C.E. How old is it?

But I might put that one in there as well just for funsies.

• Like 1

Well-written, but definitely not witty. It's one of the ones I changed. I made it:

Carbon dating shows a comb from Egypt is from 1960 B.C.E. How old is it?

But this becomes a problem with numbers. :)

• Like 1

But this becomes a problem with numbers. :)

Yes. Maybe about a quarter of them have actual numbers. Or, rather, most of them have numbers, but in about a quarter of them, there's actually something to solve. So it wouldn't be alone. But maybe it was meant to be a trick question. There are several that can't be solved or ones with superfluous information.

• Like 1

Though now that I'm reading more of them, it is less than that - only a few of them can be "solved" with numbers. Several of them are trick questions so I think I'll leave that one. I did like it.

The main thing that's a bit useless for modern kids is the vast number of problems computing acres. I barely know what an acre is. My city kids definitely don't have any need for acres in their lives. I mean, it still matters some - I may leave a couple of those in, but not most. And I have no clue what a "rod" is. I mean, I know it's an old measurement, but clearly not something necessary to life today. Or a "gill" which I had never even heard of. Other things I learned reading these - people in 1909 may have been obsessed with fences and boys all bought sleds with their pocket money.

He does state in the intro that he put trick questions in:

A few “catch problems†are put in to entrap the unwary. To stumble occasionally into a pitfall makes a pupil more watchful of his steps and gives invigorating exercise in regaining his footing. The groove runner thus learns to use his wits and see the difference between a legitimate problem and an absurdity.

• Like 1

... And I have no clue what a "rod" is. I mean, I know it's an old measurement, but clearly not something necessary to life today. Or a "gill" which I had never even heard of. ,,,

Many moons ago when I was a child (shortly after dinosaurs roamed the earth), I read a number of Isaac Asimov's factual books which is the reason why I've heard of rods and gills.  I think it was this book that mentioned them ~

Realm of Measure: from the yardstick to the Theory of Relativity

Your math project sounds like a lot of fun.  I hope that your son enjoys your efforts!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1