Menu

What to add to Essentials in Writing to round out LA for 5/6 grade

Do you need to add spelling/vocabulary work or reading comprehension? Those are the other main components of LA.

I am loving CLE's Reading. It is very thorough in covering vocabulary and comprehension. It's about a half year's worth of material for a grade level which leaves plenty of time for whole novels. If you want to comprehension guides with novels, Garlic Press is a favorite company. I just bought a Great Works lit guides and really like the looks of it. 

I like R&S spelling, but I'm giving IEW's Phonetic Zoo a try for my ds who has a difficult time actually applying rules. 

• Like 1

Spelling, if your student needs it.

Literature. Make a list of books, read and discuss. Teaching the Classics has a great list of discussion questions, if you're stuck. We are using Figuratively Speaking to introduce some literary devices over 5th and 6th grades. Tie books to your content studies, or not. Follow your student's interests or introduce her to new styles, authors and genres. Just read good books.

• Like 3

We used Spelling Workout in 5th grade with EIW.    In 6th grade we didn't do any formal spelling, and instead did some vocabulary and word roots.

In both 5th and 6th I had DD do 1 "literature study" a quarter.   I tried to line the books up with our history studies.   We did different things, sometimes a formal literature guide and sometimes other things with the books.

This year for 7th grade we are using EIW and Lightning Literature.

• Like 1

We will be using EIW7 for next year. Year 7 has optional grammar. I plan on using EIW for writing, Analytical Grammar for grammar, Figuratively Speaking for literary analysis (along with books), and AbraVocabra or Vocabu-Lit for vocabulary.

• Like 1

I'm not sure.  I have it for my 5th grader, but I also got Grammar Fix It! book 1, Mosdos, and Wordly Wise.  It sounds like a lot, and I'm not sure how it's going to work.  We also do Apples and Pears Spelling.  I think for sure a spelling and literature, and I would prefer to also add vocabulary (or greek/latin roots) at the very least. 

• 3 weeks later...

We will be doing AAS, Pathway readers and workbooks (because I had them given to me and am determined to use them), Fix It! and some Bravewriter elements.  We used EiW 3 last year and the grammar was all at the beginning, which is easy enough to change if one wishes to.  We skipped the grammar entirely as we were taking a year off from grammar...but even with it, the program is short.  Level 3 is only 52 lessons - approx. 1/2 of which are grammar.  We cover writing every single day, so there is no way one level lasts an entire year. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've designed an LA Loop at 1hr/day; 4 days/week.  So far it is working really well.  It doesn't always take the whole hour.   I just scheduled it that way for those days that LA takes longer.

Day 1: ELTL 5 (one complete lesson)

Day 2: EIW 7 (one complete lesson w/all exercises)

Day 3: Fix-It Grammar - Robin Hood (All 4 sentences)

Day 4: 1st. semester - finish Grammar for Middle School then move on to WWS1

Usually there is time left over each day - anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes - so I have DD work on the next chapter of Figuratively Speaking (which we also started last year) to use up that time.

This way DD is getting a taste of a couple of different curricula (ELTL & EIW) while retaining some that she enjoys.  It also mixes things up and provides the poetry, picture study, common place book we were missing previously.