Menu

cell phones for kids

Ipsey

I am on my parents' plan, and my 14 year old daughter wants a phone of her own (and will need a plan of her own).

I'm ok with her having one because she's getting to the age that she needs to call me, etc. but I have to say that plans, etc. are beyond me.

She found a used iphone 5 from Verison for $99, but I had to show her that it was just the phone that cost $99, and that she had to sign a 2 year contract (at about $45/mo) to use it.

Sooooo, she insists on having an iphone for some reason. I suppose we can get one that is "unlocked" on Craigslist. Then, how do we go about finding a reasonable plan? (Data, at least. We don't necessarily need a phone plan if she can use a calling app.)

Any suggestions? This is not my area at all, and I've been researching this stuff for a couple of months and am growing more confused the longer I do.

Thanks so much!

Find the plan you want FIRST, then look at phones.    There are basically two different kinds of phones, some will be compatible with Verizon and Virgin, others will be compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile (yes, there are more, but I'm being general).  If you buy the phone first, you'll be limited to what carrier your phone will work with.

I would suggest checking out Republic Wireless. Their new website seems more confusing to me, but the price is great, and I've only heard great things about it.  Terrifically affordable.  With RW, however, you must use an RW specific phone (one of those errant phones that is not compatible with either kind mentioned above).

• Like 2

ting.com.     the monthly fee varies by usage.   you can go to their site to see what phones they offer.  you do have to pay the full price for the phone (from whatever source you find to purchase a compatible phone.) 2ds just got a new phone and we bought the sim card so his unlocked Verizon phone would work with ting.

apparently they offer family plans because ds 1 & 2 are on one together.

they run off sprint towers - and can be very cheap.

We have our whole family on Republic Wireless and it's been a great fit for us.  You cannot have an iPhone but the android I have is very similar format and we have lots of IPads at our house.  You want to make sure you have wireless internet in your home and your area should have decent sprint network coverage. 

We pay $10 a month for each of our phones which has unlimited text and talk and we have to have wireless to access the internet.  Less than what we used to pay for 2 stupid talk only phones.

• Like 1

You can have an unlocked iPhone with Consumer Cellular. You choose how much data and how many minutes you want. Prices start at $10/month. You can opt to buy a phone through them or use your own. Their customer service is fantastic and we've never had an issue with service.

Eta: they use the AT&T network

• Like 1