Menu

New to special needs, or does this even count as SN? (x-post)

I have been homeschooling for a very long time, and thought I had a handle on this whole thing, until I started teaching my almost-10yo. She has been very hard to teach, and I thought she had some LDs but she always managed to stay about at grade level, with a WHOLE LOT of one-on-one Mom time, so I waited to have her tested. Probably a big mistake.

So we finally had her evaluated this month, and it turns out that in addition to ADHD (we expected this), her IQ is 80. Her subtest scores were all very similar (with a couple higher ones) and I feel like the evaluator did a great job and that this is accurate. I'm trying not to beat myself up as the worst mom ever for waiting so long and pushing this poor child. I guess the good news is she was working at grade level on most areas of her achievement testing, but I have made this kid pretty miserable for years trying to keep her at grade level.

I don't know where to even start. I know I need to back off and I want do a lot of reading aloud, but what else can I do for her?

How do I continue to stretch her and not close doors, while also not making her hate school any more? Can a child with an 80 iq even think about college? Driving a car? Is 80 even considered SN?

Someone tell me how to start turning this around, please!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I know this seems scary but cuddos for being so proactive and helping her make it through for so long.  80, I realize, may sound depressing but honestly as I understand IQ tests it is not the end of the world.  I think you need to take some time to process and maybe plan on spending this summer and this next year kind of detoxing, resetting things to bring some joy back into the process of learning for both of you.  I don't mean dump all academics but maybe approach things very differently this year, give yourselves a breather and a more engaging focus while you study where to go from here.

Does she have any outside interests, anything that you two could pursue together?  I would not be fretting about college right now.  She is young.  It may very much still be an option if that turns out to be a good path for her.  Right now, though, I would be working to bring some joy into the learning process and to help her pursue her interests in some depth.  She may have some talents that you haven't even tapped yet.  Give her a chance to find and pursue things that matter to her.  Those areas of interest may turn into an unexpected career.  If not, they may at least give her something that keeps her interest alive in learning and may provide her with skills and knowledge she can use later in life for career options.

• Like 1

I'm definitely not hung up on college, I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head around what this means for her long term.

I definitely want to try and help her find her strength areas. I would not say she has talents we have identified at this point, other than a love for animals and babies. She tends to be kind of clumsy and not athletic, and she also is a bit on the irritable side, which may be partly her ADHD. We have to think about whether to try medication, mostly to help her irritability and impulsivity.

Definitely plan on relaxing more this year, but also want to not lose ground if we shouldn't be. I'm not even sure. Gah!

• Like 1

You might be able to help her with the coordination issues.  An OT eval would probably be your best option but even without that there are things that might help.  My DS was always a bit clutzy, which was hard for him since his sister is phenomenally coordinated both with gross and fine motor skills.  What really, really helped here?  Non-competitive Martial Arts (including private lessons with a very patient instructor) and swimming (again, beginning with private lessons and a very patient instructor).  DS will never win an Olympic medal but his coordination and physical strength have improved by leaps and bounds since he started in those things.

• Like 1

OT is a great idea, ditto swimming and martial arts.

I don't even know how to start thinking about academics for next year, though. We just finished Math Mammoth 3B. I had to sit with her for every single problem, but we did it. No way do I think we should move to MM4, but don't want her to lose the progress she has made, especially since she is a bit stronger in math than other areas. Language Arts I can think through more easily, although if anyone has ideas for spelling I sure would love to hear them. That area is particularly tough for her. Otherwise I think a ton of reading aloud, some copywork/handwriting, and some assigned reading will be enough. Maybe listening to her little brother do grammar, but I'm not pushing that. It really didn't stick this year at all.

I also don't know what, if anything, to tell her at this stage. Or whether to give this info to the school system. I doubt her annual testing next year will hold at grade level. Also maybe there are some programs I should consider for her if she is eligible. But I don't know the downside to telling the school & having it on her record, if any. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I don't know that I would say anything to her at this point unless she starts noticing significant differences between her abilities and those of others.  Even then I would be really, really careful how to approach it.  Her IQ does not define who she is or what she has to offer the world.  It is just one component.  She probably wouldn't understand exactly what you were saying anyway since IQ is a bit confusing and nebulous IMHO.  I certainly heard the term growing up but I really didn't fully understand what it meant.  I would hate for her to start thinking she is incapable when obviously she has done quite well.

FWIW, my DD has a solid average IQ and some great strengths but despite that she really struggled academically.  She is technically going into 9th grade this next year but because of math and dyslexia issues she will actually only be in 5th grade level math (or possibly pre-Algebra by Christmas depending on this summer).  Your daughter may start to lag some but she is obviously capable of doing many things.  She made it this far in math.  That's awesome.  If MM is working, but she is struggling a bit, then maybe stay with it but just slow things waaaay down for awhile, incorporate some mathy games and perhaps some Ronit Bird ebook acitivities, etc.

As for spelling, that may be tougher.  Have you worked with her on phonics based instruction?  What resources have you tried?  How is her independent reading?

• Like 2

We tried several programs and finally had reading success with abeka. And Calvin & Hobbes :D And really I don't know if it was Abeka or time, or the consistency. Again, this was with constant, focused daily work with me. 3+ hours every day. I cringe thinking how I was pushing her. I just kept thinking, she's basically on grade level, maybe she just needs more time. Ugh.

She can decode well, I think on grade level, and comprehension is not too bad, but she says she hates to read, other than Calvin & Hobbes. Although she is reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and not totally hating that.

If she is not being medicated for ADHD, that is something to seriously consider.  You can consult with a psychiatrist and ask about this.  Untreated ADHD can drag down cognitive testing scores and affect day to day achievement.  Kids with high IQs can counter the ADHD, but as work becomes more complex, it is harder and harder for kids to do this.  No one should be a low achiever due to untreated ADHD.  IMO, that is a worse option than medicating your kid.  (That has become a soap box for me because I see so many parents completely against ADHD meds.)

Honestly, it sounds like she is doing very well so you and she are both doing something right!

I would tell her nothing.  My kid who is cognitively average-ish (with LDs and ASD, as well) does not know his IQ.  I think it is counterproductive and do not plan on giving him this information ever.  Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 2

Well, she is reading when I make her, and math is ok if I am sitting there working through each problem together, but she can't write above (I would guess) a 1st grade level, and I can already tell that math will not easily progress past where she is now.

Has anyone used Right Start with a lower IQ/ADHD kid? It really helped her when she was learning addition facts, but I only made it about 2/3 through the B level bc of how teacher intensive it was and I had so many others I was teaching at that time. Now my older ones are pretty independent, so I could give it another try, but what I've read indicates it isn't the best for SN kids (which again, not sure if she is SN).

Those look like pretty good and consistent scores so that's good, it means the IQ is likely accurate which goes along with your gut feeling too. 

80 would be low-average technically but obviously just having a slightly lower IQ than most will mean she'll struggle sometimes. I don't think at 80 that I'd discuss it with her just now. Our DD13 was diagnosed with an Intellectual Disability and an IQ of 69 last November and we did decide to discuss it a bit with her. We didn't tell her any number, just said that the psychologist she had seen for testing found out she has a lower IQ and that just means she has trouble learning new things as quickly as other people, especially things like reading and math. We tried to discuss it on-level with her and I don't know how much she understood but with that low of an IQ I felt the need to give her a heads up lest she get her heart set on things like driving which might be tough for her to do. 

Anyway, I think you've done a good job with her to have kept her on grade level thus far, and I also think you're right to think maybe you can ease up at this point and not expect her to stay quite at grade level for all of her school years. 

You might want to read Simply Classical by Cheryl Swope, that is an excellent resource and will really encourage you and help you to set challenging but realistic goals. She homeschooled her special needs twins in a classical style and they've achieved some really impressive things academically. 

For math you might consider switching from Math Mammoth to Math U See for a couple reasons. First, it's got more manipulatives and breaks things down more. Second, it's not 'graded', it's just listed as Alpha, Beta, etc. so you can re-do 3rd grade math without your daughter realizing she's doing that ;) Just mention you're switching math programs and that this one will help her get really good at multiplication. Gamma is the "third grade" level and it deals exclusively with multiplication but definitely takes the concept all the way through, even introducing algebra kind of concepts which is neat. 

For spelling how about All About Spelling? It's hands-on, colorful, and geared towards several ages so at 10 she'll be totally the kind of kid they created it for. Start out at Level 1 because it is incremental and meant to go through levels 1-7 in order. Level 1 might be a bit easy for her but if so she can work fast and finish it by January and then move onto Level 2. If it's harder than expected then feel free to stretch it out for the full year no problem. It's flexible like that. 

Since she's a good decoder and understands well but doesn't care for reading yet as a fun thing I'd give her access to several easy books and series to build fluency. Magic Treehouse books are on a 2nd/3rd grade level and are just really good, fun books. They'll use a lot of the same words/names, being a series, so they become easy to blow through quickly. My son went through a phase once he was a solid decoder where he'd just fly through Magic Treehouse books like crazy and it helped build his fluency. Lots of kids go through that phase where they like to read easy series anywhere from 2nd-6th grade so you're daughter's going to have lots of books to choose from too. Since she likes animals and babies she might also like The Babysitter's Club or even The Babysitter's Club Little Sister series. Babysitter's Club is I think more a 4th-5th grade level but the Little Sisters one is written younger for the 7-8 year old crowd. Anyway, sometimes letting kids read those easy, babyish books really does help them realize reading can be a fast and fun pastime. And don't discount high quality picture books, all my kids LOVE picture books. My advanced 7 year old still reads them tons! 

As for daily life I think you can expect her to drive. She might need extra time in Driver's Ed just to make sure she's prepared and maybe she'll be one to get her license a bit late at 17 or 18, but I bet she'll get there just fine. It might be good to stay on top of her ADHD before she gets behind a wheel though, haha! :)  For college a 4-year degree likely won't be the best route but a community college or 2-year Associate's degree could be perfect for her. 

One thing we've tried to really focus on with our ID daughter is to foster good hobbies. I hear so many stories of ID adults (and other adults, let's be honest!) just sitting in front of the TV all day after work and doing nothing productive in their free time. This has health ramifications and social ramifications. So anyway we go out of our way to jump on any strength DD13 shows! She likes swimming so we put her in lessons and then swim team. Is she fast? No But does she enjoy it? Yes, mostly. And swimming is something she can do throughout her life for fun and health. Likewise she's decent at crafty things so she has loom bands and I got her in a crochet class at co-op and I just introduced her to paint-by-numbers. She doesn't need to be a great artist or swimmer but what she does need is to have options for what to do in her free time now and as an adult and if she's good at it through lessons or practice she'll be more likely to choose that over TV or sitting around bored. 

Maybe make a list of possible sports, arts, and service opportunities she could possibly be good at with practice. If she's not super coordinated that's fine, go with something like martial arts to build coordination without the pressure of competition. Or go for track and field, that's what my not-coordinated 7 year old will likely switch to eventually because I think he'd just be better at it long-term than his current soccer sport. Dance can be low-key and fun if you find the right studio and again might build her body awareness. If money isn't tight she might love horseback riding.  For art there is painting, pottery, drawing (there are great drawing books for kids), loom bands, friendship bracelets, crochet, knitting, sewing, or go for music skills like piano, guitar, flute, singing in the choir, etc. For service as she gets older she could be a mothers' helper, pet-sit for neighbors, learn household chores, learn to cook and do things like bake christmas cookies for friends/family, teach younger siblings, etc. Feeling useful is so helpful to building good self-esteem and if school is hard she'll need things to do outside of homeschool that she feels good at. 

• Like 3

A friend of mine has found this book helpful: http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/educational-resources-special-needs/simply-classical 

There is a lot that goes into what she'll be able to do that is not only about IQ. I think it's wonderful that you are wanting information and that you are aware of how difficult it's been for her to achieve what she's achieved--I think that will help you balance out what is most important as you learn about what she needs. 

• Like 1

My kid, I believe has a similar IQ( tested at 71, but was pre add meds, dyslexia diagnosis and a few other things, but I suspect he would still be on the low side) .

You've gotten then best advice to just take a breath, and see if you can nail down some strengths. Once you find them, build you academics around it. Next, read as much as you can on low average, and "slow learner". Finally realize you have NOT done your child any harm by pushing. If she is at grade level, with your help, you are helping her achieve. That is never a bad thing.

Based on your last post I would suggest, working on accommodations. If she is struggling with math, once she understands the concepts hand her a calcualtor, math chart, etc. If writing is a struggle try dragon or other text to speech, and work grammar and sentance structure that way. Discuss books on tape. Independence should be your goal this year, how much can she do on her own, and what tools can you hand to her, teach her to use, etc in order to make the most happen.

Our kids have such a mix of strengths, that I believe the key is to teach them how to use their strengths to help balance out the weaknesses. My son lives with his ipad, it is his change counter when he goes to the corner store, he uses the text to speech app to take pictures of signs he cannot read, etc, he listens to audible on it, does flash cards, has maps, I can go on and on. For him, this is the perfect crutch as the iPad holds all the info he cannot immediately recall or use.

The number 1 hardest thing for me to accept about my child, was that everything was going to take him twice as long to learn. The amount of repetition needed is astounding. We work review in all the time, so mastery is not expected. We keep learning and keep reviewing and reviewing and reviewing.

Meds were the number 1 turn around in our story. Without them we would not be where we are. They are not for everyone, and they have side effects, but for us I could not imagine continuing without them. Before it was like nailing jello to a wall. Learning came so much easier after (inattentive).

I've received some great advice from this board, and think this is the right place to post about your child.

Edited to add: my son is more than likely not doing college, but we are looking into apprentiship for him. High on his 11 year old list is heavy machine operator and mechanic.

• Like 4

I would consider a spiral program like CLE (or honestly even Saxon) for math, although Math U See also has a lot to recommend it.  But she's in a good position, just needs more repetition to keep learning. 

I See Sam really might be a good thing to use for reading.  For spelling, I'd look at All About Spelling or Apples and Pears. 

Reading, spelling, math, and lots of listening to books read aloud/ educational tv are how I would approach it.  Plus lots of hands on science and art, work on hobbies, OT and PT eval for coordination.  Gymnastics, martial arts, swimming, horseback riding, skating are all good. 

Does she like music?

The processing speed scores should have two sub-tests. The sub-test numbers can point to whether there is a motor planning type issue. If ADHD is present, it is probably safe to assume that motor planning is an issue. My vote is to treat her like a dysgraphic and scribe for her.

For writing, there is an excellent webinar that was given by Dr Charles Haynes of the Landmark Schools. I love the webinar because it discusses the subroutines of paragraph writing. I think you should watch the video. A link follows:

http://blog.dyslexicadvantage.org/2014/11/01/teaching-writing-to-dyslexic-students/

When you read to your DD, stop a lot and ask her Scoratic types questions. Scribe for her and get her used to talking about what she is hearing. Use that time to ensure comprehension and teach her to mindmap. Scribe them for her. Watch her close and determine whether she can type or use dictation type software.

Given her scores, I expect she is a more visual learner. Exploit that strength for all that it is worth. DS works well with manipulatives. He does best with a MUS/spiral cross. I know that MM is popular, and I honestly don't know why other than that the creator is sweet and the product is cheap. I really don't like MM. I see nothing novel or earth shattering about it. But that's one mom's opinion. E-books by Ronit Bird may benefit your DD.

good luck! Keep us posted and let us know how things work out.

I don't have anything particular to add, but I wanted to say hi and welcome to this section of the boards.  Yes, you belong!  Even if it's hard for you to think of her as SN right now, no matter what she has some learning challenges (the name of the board) and is very special to you.  That means you belong here.  :)

I'm so glad you were able to get good evals.  I do want to triple ditto the suggestion to get an OT eval.  She may have some motor planning issues behind that clumsiness.  Also, my "clumsy" dd turned out to have developmental vision problems.  It's just another thing to check.  You can start with a regular appt and ask them to screen her.  You find a dev. optom through COVD.

Lay aside your guilt.  The past is over and now you can move forward!  

• Like 1

Nothing of particular interest to add, other than welcome.

I did notice your question in regard to Right Start. For my NT kids, it's fine. For my struggling DD, it's ridiculously difficult. It goes a bit fast for her, and assumes a level of extrapolation of conceptual ideas that she's just incapable of (for now). 

Take a peek at Ronit Bird ebooks for the iPad. Might be too young for your DD if she's doing well with MM, but OTOH, it might fill in any conceptual gaps. 

I haven't looked through all the responses, but I wanted to share my thoughts. Despite what many psychologists say, IQ scores can be significantly depressed by LDs and fine motor skills. While many subtests aim at measuring intelligence, they rely on fine motor skills, auditory processing, visual processing, and memory to produce answers. Therefore, weaknesses in those areas show up as lower IQ score. As you work on those underlying processes and improve them, the IQ score will go up as well. I think that's especially the case if your child has weaknesses in several processes vs. just one.

My own DD had 3 IQ tests at 6, 7, and 9  -- all around 80. After much work, her last test at the age of 12 was 99.

My advise would be to find resources and invest your time in working with your DD to improve memory, fine motor skills, auditory processing and visual skills while slowing down with some academics.

• Like 3

I haven't looked through all the responses, but I wanted to share my thoughts. Despite what many psychologists say, IQ scores can be significantly depressed by LDs and fine motor skills. While many subtests aim at measuring intelligence, they rely on fine motor skills, auditory processing, visual processing, and memory to produce answers. Therefore, weaknesses in those areas show up as lower IQ score. As you work on those underlying processes and improve them, the IQ score will go up as well. I think that's especially the case if your child has weaknesses in several processes vs. just one.

If there are any receptive language and/or auditory processing issues, even the "non-verbal" portions of the Weschler IQ tests can be artificially depressed. There was apparently a very big difference between my little one's scores on the "non-verbal" portion of the WPPSI and the completely non-verbal IQ test the neuropsych for the deaf/hard-of-hearing ran. I'm still waiting on the full report (supposed to be coming this week) so I don't know the name of the test or the actual scores. But at the post-test conference, the NP said that they were significantly higher.

• Like 3

Wow, that's wild.  Our jerk $2100 psych didn't bother to run an actual non-verbal IQ test on my ds with apraxia.  Don't even get me started on the unflattering way I think of him.  Anyways, that would have been fascinating.  A 20 point bump on him would be scary.  And actually it would make sense, since it's how he functions.  But we won't talk about that.  

I could be all wet on that.  Whatever.

My advise would be to find resources and invest your time in working with your DD to improve memory, fine motor skills, auditory processing and visual skills while slowing down with some academics.

So what were you doing?  I know that's sort of vague and open-ended.  Were you doing OT to get to average, or something beyond that?  Specific programs?  See I've never *seen* IQ testing, so it doesn't quite occur to me how things could carry over like that.

Wow, that's wild.  Our jerk $2100 psych didn't bother to run an actual non-verbal IQ test on my ds with apraxia.  Don't even get me started on the unflattering way I think of him.  Anyways, that would have been fascinating.  A 20 point bump on him would be scary.  And actually it would make sense, since it's how he functions.  But we won't talk about that.  

I could be all wet on that.  Whatever.

The test kits are pricey so I can understand psychologists making a business decision and just ordering the most common IQ tests like the Weschler and Stanford-Binet ones. The Leiter-3 kit costs $1,095, the UNIT-2 costs $800, and the CTONI-2 costs $457. For *MOST* kids seeking testing, there wouldn't be a big enough difference between the standard IQ test and the non-verbal ones to warrant using the latter.

Apraxia by itself wouldn't be a reason to use a non-verbal test because the issue is with understanding the spoken directions rather than the child's ability to produce language. As long as your son's ability to process the directions is intact, the results on the various non-verbal subtests of the WPPSI/WISC/SB should be valid.

Now with my little one's hearing impairment, her difficulty understanding the spoken directions of the WPPSI was a factor. That's why the neuropsych who specializes in testing deaf & hard-of-hearing kids ran a non-verbal test. In her practice, it makes sense to invest in those kits because her clients are likely to show a big discrepancy between a test with verbal directions and one that is completely non-verbal.

The test kits are pricey so I can understand psychologists making a business decision and just ordering the most common IQ tests like the Weschler and Stanford-Binet ones. The Leiter-3 kit costs $1,095, the UNIT-2 costs $800, and the CTONI-2 costs $457. For *MOST* kids seeking testing, there wouldn't be a big enough difference between the standard IQ test and the non-verbal ones to warrant using the latter.

Apraxia by itself wouldn't be a reason to use a non-verbal test because the issue is with understanding the spoken directions rather than the child's ability to produce language. As long as your son's ability to process the directions is intact, the results on the various non-verbal subtests of the WPPSI/WISC/SB should be valid.

Now with my little one's hearing impairment, her difficulty understanding the spoken directions of the WPPSI was a factor. That's why the neuropsych who specializes in testing deaf & hard-of-hearing kids ran a non-verbal test. In her practice, it makes sense to invest in those kits because her clients are likely to show a big discrepancy between a test with verbal directions and one that is completely non-verbal.

Interesting!  I'd have to look at his following directions scores.  The psych ran the CELF5, which breaks that down.  Ds' sentence level understanding is crumb ball compared to his paragraph level, but I think his following directions *might* have been average-ish.  It was actually Barton who had suggested the TONI for him, and I just let it stand when psych 1 didn't do it, bowing to the expert and all that.  Thing is, he had extra time and could have done it.  Like I said, I was not happy with the way he treated us.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but could someone explain Cogmed?  My middle child has slow processing and short term memory issues.

Just a quick way to help you here, do you know how to do a site search?  Besides the usual way, you can also do a google search.  Try "cogmed site:welltrainedmind.com" and see what pops up.  Or be more specific or add in terms or what have you.  And in the board search feature you can limit to a specific board, which could work for this too.   :)

Cogmed has research behind it.  Not the only way to skin a cat, but definitely one way.  Won't typically bump processing speed, per the psych I talked to.  How low is your ds' processing speed?  We've had people in the single digits get a bump into the 30s with IM (interactive metronome).  Search that and find heathermomster's thread.  You can do quite a bit at home yourself for free.  Powerful, powerful stuff, definitely worth doing no matter what.  

Have you had an OT eval?  You might start a new thread if you want to chat more.  :)

WISC testing is facsinating. I was allowed to sit through it the first time my DD had it done at 6 yo. You really have to witness it to understand how easily the score can be brought down. Some tasks are timed. For example, a child has to reproduce a design made of blocks within an allotted number of seconds. If your child runs out of time, the points are subtracted (don't remember if there is partial credit). When you look at the score, you think it's lower intelligence, but it can easily be poor hand eye coordination or a child just not understanding that he/she needs to rush. I don't recall psych actually telling DD to hurry, just 'do her best.' Some matrix and analogies subtests can be confusing to a child who has no prior exposure to similar questions. Directions or explanations given by a psych are minimal.  If a child gets 3 in a row wrong, they stop. The verbal subtests would be affected by anyone who likes to be brief. I remember thinking my daughter's answers made sense but were very short, to the point, 2-3 word phrases. She got 1 point instead of 2 on many of them. The psych did not ask her to ellaborate even once. He just subtracted the points. Throw in a child who has a hard time understanding directions, some memory or fine motor skills issues, and you'll see lower scores across the board.

WISC is the golden standard and is considered very reliable, so don't get me wrong. However, in my experience, it can easily be depressed by some LDs and processing glitches, and, unless you have an amazing psych who can tease it out, you just end up with a lower score across the board.

Now to answer your question about what we did specifically. I posted some info on various programs in the past, so you can search for posts with my name, but our list looked something like this (and I might be forgetting a thing or two):

Earobics, Audiblox, Brainware Safari, Learning Breakthrough, C8 Sciences, Brainfitness Pro, exercises for retained primitive reflexes, visual spatial exercises (Jerome Posner book and some games), books on auditory memory, and Linguisystem books.

• Like 1

Interesting!  I'd have to look at his following directions scores.  The psych ran the CELF5, which breaks that down.  Ds' sentence level understanding is crumb ball compared to his paragraph level, but I think his following directions *might* have been average-ish.  It was actually Barton who had suggested the TONI for him, and I just let it stand when psych 1 didn't do it, bowing to the expert and all that.  Thing is, he had extra time and could have done it.  Like I said, I was not happy with the way he treated us.

The CELF that the SLP at the oral school for the deaf ran in June with my DD wearing her hearing aids had sentence comprehension in the 5th percentile and following directions in the 2nd percentile. Overall receptive language scaled score was 68. As bad as those are, they are actually a big improvement from the unaided testing in January, where she had sentence comprehension in the 1st percentle, following directions in the 0.1st percentile, and an overall receptive language scaled score of 46. With that significant a difficulty with receptive language (even wearing the aids), using a completely non-verbal test is going to give a more accurate assessment of her non-verbal IQ than a standard one with verbal directions.

The school psych who did the WPPSI on my daughter felt that her performance on the various subtests was so scattered that she didn't even both calculating composite scores except for verbal (which was unsurprisingly consistently low). It makes sense that the more heavily dependent the "non-verbal" subtest was on understanding the verbal directions, the more difficulty my DD had with it.

• Like 2