Menu

Math...need less counting, more problem solving

shernandez

Hi! I am stressing out with math for this year. We recently switched from Saxon to CLE (a great fit for both dd and me), but she still counts out nearly all of her facts. She wants to move ahead in science, but she really needs to solidify her math facts and work on becoming a better problem solver. I understand she is young, but her math fluency/understanding lag far behind her other skills and it is frustrating her. So, I am looking for something that is going to help her visualize numbers in her head, help her improve her mental math skills, and help her be a better problem solver. She is a highly motivated learner. We are not looking to switch curriculum, just add in some supplements. Math right now is only taking about 15 minutes. We are going to be adding in math games, but not sure what else to do. Thanks!!

Math facts memorization and deeper problem solving skills are kind of two different things.  You may need multiple resources.

For math facts, honestly this can take a LOT of time.  Rushing doesn't usually do much good.  She is only 7.  CLE has kids practicing math facts through 5th grade because it really can take that long for them to become automatic.  That being said, she may need work on basic subitization skills (number sense).  I HIGHLY recommend getting the Ronit Bird ebooks if you have an IPad or IPad mini.  They are excellent for helping with number sense.  The ebooks were originally designed for kids that have serious struggles with math (dyscalculia) but I think they are excellent for any child that needs a bit of work on subitization.

Get the subitization skills down solid while you continue to move her through CLE and math fact practice.   Using Ronit Bird coupled with the daily drills and flash card practice in CLE, as well as all the application problems, math facts should solidify just fine.  

As for deeper understanding of math through game based activities, you might look at resources on these two links:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/

http://mathfour.com/

Also you might look at buying one of the Math In Focus enrichment workbooks on Amazon and see if that works well as a supplement.  We used MiF as a supplement for quite a while.

• Like 1

OneStep, thank you so much for the ideas. Looking up Ronit now. They definitely are 2 different things, but 2 areas with she struggles with and wants to improve on. We don't mind more than one resource. We homeschool year-round, and have lots of time to work through stuff:)

• Like 1

We did Saxon, and I think it did a really good job solidifying facts b/c they do the fact practice pages everyday.  You can review the 'rule' that goes w/ that page each time.  I also like MUS blocks to show the relationship between the numbers.  Skip-counting, and even-odds helps.  If you still have the Saxon flashcards, get out and do one color for a week, then the next color- focusing on the rules.  Don't worry!  Just keep moving forward.  I have a 5th grader who still counts out when adding and subtracting.  Some kids just don't ever get it, and that's okay, but you should still practice and work on it when you can.  I wouldn't let it really hold her back in areas like science- there isn't that much of a connection in the lower grades, and if there is some complicated math application, you could just do it for her walking thru it. 

I love what OneStep wrote about subitization, Ronit Bird if that is weak, and just realizing that automatic recall with those takes time. I also agree with the PP who mentioned the RS abacus as a visualization tool. RightStart, if it's possible, is a fantastic program for mental math. I found it stronger than even Singapore. I can't compare it to Miquon, though. C-Rods are a good investment. CLE is really great for facts practice.

For the problem solving side, I love Singapore FAN math Process Skills and Problem Solving as a supplement. It fills in what I feel is lacking in CLE, which I do love. I use both with my kids now.

• Like 1

Realize that "solidifying math facts" and being good at mental math can be two very different things. The first tends to rely on memorization/recall, where strong mental math involves developing strong regrouping skills and other math strategies for fast calculations. 

IMO memorizing "math facts" (while useful at the end of a process of learning regrouping/mental-math skills) can both give a false sense of mastery and actually get in the way of learning to manipulate numbers. Memorizing is not scaleable, learning mental math skills, on the other hand, gives one skills that scale up as numbers get ever larger and problems get more complex.

At a young age playing with C Rods helps develop these skills, and Miquon is very good. Then Singapore is probably unparalleled in developing mental math skills. There are a number of outstanding supplementary books from Singapore that take mental math strategies even further. 

Problem solving is yet another skill. Working the upper parts of the brain not only gives the mind a work out (which makes it stronger) but tends to make math more fun.

Mental math and promoting creative problem solving sills are things I consider essential parts of a good math education.

Bill

• Like 2

If she has a solid understanding of the concept of addition/subtraction and merely needs to work on automaticity, I'd try some variety of dice game (like Math Dice) or Addition/Subtraction War for a fun approach to practicing the facts; for a more straightforward approach, you could use something like Rocket Math/Space Ship Math, which begins by seeing how quickly you can copy numbers--to test your processing/writing speed--and then introduces only a few facts at a time.  In those programs you first solve the facts orally so you're hearing/speaking them, and then you aim to solve as many math facts on paper as you're physically able to (equivalent to the amount you could copy) within a minute.  Once you can do one set of facts as quickly as you could if you were simply copying numbers, they add a few more.  There are sets for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.  My DD responds well to the former method of practice, while my DS loves timing himself on the latter.

As for problem solving, you could look at some of the Singapore books or a Zaccaro book for some practice.

For the math facts, have a look at Two plus Two is Not Five, and it's sequels. It teaches memory rules for the math facts and helps drill them. 

For deeper problem solving stuff, perhaps consider some of the singapore supplements like Challenging word problems? Or, either this year or next she may be ready for Beast academy.