Menu

My best friends' kid spat in my face!

Meadowlark

Really? I run a fairly tight ship as far as polite and rude behavior goes... but my family (extended included) enjoys what she described (raspberries, etc, done in a playful manner).

Zerbits? Totally done in my family! looking up and spitting in my face because kid doesn't like what I said? Nope-that's not playful. We're talking about 2 different things here.

• Like 1

Zerbits? Totally done in my family! looking up and spitting in my face because kid doesn't like what I said? Nope-that's not playful. We're talking about 2 different things here.

Isn't that why God made belly buttons? I thought for sure their sole purpose was to be raspberried after bath time....

I've been deceived!

I would tell the mom but in a non accusatory way. I would just tell her what you have been observing so she has a chance to work on it. If it was my kid doing the behavior I would want to know so it could be addressed. I would be completely embarrassed but I would want to know.

I would not end a friendship over it if it were me. If the issue is addressed the child has a chance of learning. He could be a child where it will not be easy for him to learn and maybe the parents are overwhelmed. I think it is good that you addressed it with him. He is observing that other children are not acting like that and if you tell the parents then maybe they can address it and try to be more aware. I wouldn't write them off as hopeless even though the act itself is shocking. I do not think with a 7 year old that addressing something well after the fact is an issue. You can still talk it over with them or give consequences.

The OP said as much in her first post, so I'm not sure where you got the notion it was playful.

Because it is possible for an adult (with spit on their face) to easily perceive a playful child as being rude -- and say so -- without being correct about it.

Not in this case, but before the additional detail was given, the fact that the OP *found* it rude was not enough info for me to believe it was not *possibly* an error of interpretation.

That child is much too old to spit at anyone, but especially at an adult under those circumstances. As a parent, I would want to be told what happened, and I would deal with it.

When my oldest son was maybe 10 months old, I took him to visit my elderly adopted grandma. As we were getting ready to leave, I had him in his carseat and she bent over to give him a kiss or something. At that moment, he blew a raspberry. She was so offended that he had "stuck his tongue out" at her. She never let me forget it. She brought it up every time we saw her. We didn't go over very often after that. 

Ok, I told her. She was shocked. She asked where the dad was. She did offer an apology but the conversation was awkward and very short. I guess I'm glad I told her, because the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I would definitely want to know if my kid did that. Aye. My favorite holiday and this is what I'm thinking about.

• Like 7

That child is much too old to spit at anyone, but especially at an adult under those circumstances. As a parent, I would want to be told what happened, and I would deal with it.

When my oldest son was maybe 10 months old, I took him to visit my elderly adopted grandma. As we were getting ready to leave, I had him in his carseat and she bent over to give him a kiss or something. At that moment, he blew a raspberry. She was so offended that he had "stuck his tongue out" at her. She never let me forget it. She brought it up every time we saw her. We didn't go over very often after that. 

because 10 month olds are so socially aware . . . . . ('tho he probably thought he was playing.)

hugs.