Menu

s/o locking up -- musical instruments?

TrixieB

If your kid is a music performance major or plays an instrument in a college ensemble, and said instrument is something small and very easily portable like clarinet/oboe/flute, how does he/she keep it secure?  Instruments are $$$ and after the "keeping items secure" thread I am worrying a bit...

Okay, I will tell dd to ask about instrument storage.  She is not planning to be a music major, but some of the schools she's considering indicate that they have ensembles for non-music majors to participate in and she wants to do this.

DD21 says to contact the music office - if a student is signed up for an ensemble at her school, they can get a locker to use.  Bring your own combo lock just in case.  She kept her saxophones under her bed in the dorm the first few days until she got her locker and instruments sorted out.  She say there are usually plenty of lockers available, but the music students want the ones closest to the practice rooms.

Agreed-instrument lockers. I know of one student who did have an instrument stolen this year at my university, and it was a kid who left his trombone in his dorm room, not in his locker. Our set up is that if you're an instrumentalist in a specific area, you have your locker and several practice rooms in a suite, so both the suite AND the locker have locks, and usually you know who all the clarinetists are.

One thing I'll also caution-most colleges don't allow you to bring backpacks, etc into the cafeterias. That includes instrument cases, so make sure you don't absent mindedly take your flute with you to lunch. While some schools have lockers for students to put bags into while eating, some still just have you stick them on a shelf by the cashier's stand-and the cashier is unlikely to notice that student X didn't have a flute case with them when they walked in, but did when they walked out. (The same applies to anything else valuable or easily sellable. Please don't drop off your laptop OR your $150 biology textbook with the 50% guaranteed buyback sticker on an open shelf!)