Menu

Help me pick spill-proof cups for my 4yo and 2yo

The boys drink lots of water and need new cups. I've had some mixed success in the past and am hoping for recommendations. Needs to be actually spill-proof, easy to open/access, easy to clean, minimal parts. Bonus points for a cup that would work for both a 4yo and 2yo, but I'm also happy with separate recommendations. They currently use Playtex cups like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Baby-Insulator-Spill-Proof-Cup/dp/B000K52HX8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1434951386&sr=8-11&keywords=playtex+cup), and I'm moderately happy with those -- but not happy enough to necessarily stick with them.

This is one of those "not what I asked for" responses--

At 4yo, I wouldn't use a spill proof cup at all, except for the car. But then, I'm one of those people who let their kids pour their own stuff at 3 (after practice) and use real glasses with them. YMMV and probably does!

• Like 6

At 4yo, I wouldn't use a spill proof cup at all, except for the car. But then, I'm one of those people who let their kids pour their own stuff at 3 (after practice) and use real glasses with them. YMMV and probably does!

I was thinking the same, but I also get that it might be a matter of the 4 yr old doesn't need one, but the 2 year old will spill the 4 yr old's cup if it isn't spill proof. That's how it was here. At this point though we just use the kids tervis tumblers with travel lids. Easy to clean, no icky parts that get moldy, and no, not totally spill proof, but good enough. And they aren't drinking from a spout, which I think can't be good after a certain age, for dental development. 

I can understand your point! However, it's the tropics here, so water goes absolutely everywhere -- every trip to the playground, no matter how short. I usually bring water bottles when we're out shopping as well, just so that we don't need to buy anything if the trip takes longer than expected. I'm not a fan of disposible water bottles, and I'm tired of my purse getting wet from the water!

But I can totally imagine that this isn't a problem that everyone has.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I'm looking them up.

I can understand your point! However, it's the tropics here, so water goes absolutely everywhere -- every trip to the playground, no matter how short. I usually bring water bottles when we're out shopping as well, just so that we don't need to buy anything if the trip takes longer than expected. I'm not a fan of disposible water bottles, and I'm tired of my purse getting wet from the water!

But I can totally imagine that this isn't a problem that everyone has.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I'm looking them up.

I hear you, I'm in Florida and we do the same. I just make the kids carry the cups now (the tervis ones, with lids) so they aren't bouncing in my purse. When we leave the house the routine is to put on shoes and grab your cup :)

I bring mine too, actually. I've found that having ONE water cup per kid means they don't get lost. When we had multiples they got lost all the time. 

My kids had spill proof water bottles most of their lives. I just bought new ones to go to camp with them. When they were younger, I just wanted them to always have water available to them. When they drank out of cups, it was always restricted to the kitchen or table.

I second the foogo recommendation. I've tried at least half a dozen different cups. Avent hard spout cups would be my second choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-FOOGO-Phases-Stainless-Yellow/dp/B00318CLVE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1434974027&sr=8-5&keywords=foogo

These might be kinda babyish for a four year old.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Avent-Ounce-Spout-Cup/dp/B00C6AD30Q/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1434974306&sr=8-11&keywords=avent+sippy+cup

After six kids, they only truly spill proof ones that I have tried are the Kleen Kanteen.  This lid http://www.kleankanteen.com/collections/kid-kanteen/products/kid-kanteen-sippy-cap?variant=860345779works on any kleen kanteen bottle.  It's easy to clean and has held up better than any other spout I've tried and the bonus for me was that I just had to buy a lid and it can fit any of the 10 or so bottles I already have in the house.