Menu

Camping help

Nart

Before having kids my husband and I occasionally camped but we never have with our boys. My husband and boys (6 and 8)  have been wanting to go camping but I kept putting it off. They finally convinced me it would be a fun trip so for a while so I just booked the first open spot in July I found in Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park for three nights. We only plan on car camping for now. We have some camping equipment that is now over 10 years old. Will four people fit into a 2-4 person tent? I remember it being perfect for two. Should we get a 6 person tent or a 10 person tent to have lots of room? I really don't like sleeping on the ground; are camping cots more comfortable than an air mattress or inflatable sleeping pad? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Whether 4 people fit into your tent depends on the tent and the size of the people (our kids at that age and we slept in  3-4 person tent just fine). The only way to figure out is to try it out in the backyard and see.

If you don't have to carry it, 10 y/o equipment is no problem (there have been advantages in light weight gear, but since you will be car camping that is moot)

Of course, if you plan to bring cots, you need a much bigger tent (I've never used a cot or a large tent)

Kings canyon is fabulous. One of my favorites, Just make sure to stow ALL food and toiletries inside your car or in a bear locker - not in the tent.

We have found we want a little space to move around in a tent, and a little space for things like a towel or flashlights.  There are 6 in my family and we find we fit more comfortably into a 10 person tent (my kids are older than yours) and now have a 14 person tent!

You probably should set up the tent and then put down sleeping bags and and see how you all fit.  My guess is that a 2-4 person tent will be tight, even though two of you are children.  A larger tent will take a little more space in your car, as will things like cots or even inflatable mattresses.  If It is going to be hot, and I had a choice, I thinkI would prefer a cot, but we use air mattresses to save room.

Camping can be a lot of fun, but a lot of work too.  I always return home exhausted.

In addition to the above suggested reasons about checking out space, it would be a good idea to set up in your backyard first to be sure you are comfortable with the set up instructions and make sure all parts are present and in working order (like stakes, zippers, support poles, or rain cover).

• Like 1

We have an old 4 person tent that would be perfect to fit me, DH and our 6 year old on sleeping bags and self-inflating pads.  There would be very little extra room for clothes, flashlights, books to read in the wee hours of the morning when you are quietly not waking your parents.   :lol:

Add a preschooler, a toddler, a pack and play, a potty chair, two queen size mattresses, five people's worth of clothes, a mat by the door to contain the dirt and sand, etc, and we fit perfectly in a 10 person tent.

I have no experience with cots.  As a kid I used self-inflating pads and now we use inflatable mattresses.

Wendy

• Like 1

The number of "people" that fit in a tent refers to people sleeping very nearly shoulder to shoulder, wall to wall. That's an excellent measure for backpackers, but it's poor for anybody who imagines they will do anything in a tent other than crawl in (in order), slip off excess clothes while lying on one's back, and lay down to sleep. Even if they are small and cuddly, it's still probably too small. It would also mean using thin mattresses (foam or self-inflating) because if you use anything with height, you loose sleeping area, because the walls will (of course) be sloping inwards.

I suggest setting up, digging out everything, and doing a fun mock-camping day at home. It's by far the best way to determine what you need (and what you want) in order to enjoy yourselves.

With your boys 6 & 8, you might consider sleeping split up: a kids' tent for them, and one for you and DH. (Depending how well they will handle being alone in a 'room' together.) It's not like sleeping apart, because you are only separated by the space you put between the tents, plus tent fabric. You will hear them just fine. But, as they get older, you can put some space between the teen boys and mom/dad: which would be an advantage.

• Like 2

My boys are the same age as yours.  We use a 6 person tent, which we've used since they were babes.  We bought it because we could fit 2 playpens.  There is more than enough space for a sleeping pad apiece, laundry baskets for stuf,f and bags of clothes.  We can stand up and move around easily.  It's quite luxurious and more space than we really need.  A ten person tent would be overkill for us.  We tweak the comfort level by lining the floor with interlocking foam floor tiles.

If I were in your position, I might consider a second small tent instead as bolt suggested above - it really depends what you think will work for your family. 

A dining shelter has been what's really made the difference.  If I had to choose a small tent plus dining shelter vs just a big tent, I'd choose the former.  It's brilliant to have a sheltered space to hang out in when the weather is damp.

I agree with PP's that you need to set up the old tent and do a trial camp in the backyard. 

• Like 1