Menu

Gluten free folks I have a question

Tree Frog

My MIL just moved to the area. Her birthday is next week and she would like meatloaf for her birthday dinner. Her diet is both low salt and gluten free. My normal meatloaf recipe is gluten free, but has high sodium. This recipe for meatloaf came across my email and looks good, but I wondered if, instead of the bread crumbs, I could grind up some oatmeal and use it. I'm not fond of oatmeal flavor, but I think the oat flavor would be masked by the meat. Would I use the same proportions with the oats as with the bread crumbs? Or do you have a tried and true recipe you'd like to share?

I don't have any recipes but my MIL makes meatloaf w oats and it tastes fine. She doesn't do it to be gf, that's just her recipe.

Btw, oats are often grown next to wheat fields and can be contaminated. If your MIL is really sensitive, get certified gf oats or get Trader Joe's 2 lb blue bag. They're not certified but the copy on the back says they are grown away from gluten fields.

• Like 1

When I make meatloaf, I toast Udi's bread and then zip it in my Vitamix to turn it into breadcrumbs. You could also just do that instead.

I really don't think you'd notice the oat flavor at all, but not everyone who's GF can have oats. They still give me the same symptoms gluten does--even certified GF oats. If you decide to go that route, check with your MIL first.

• Like 2

I don't think she has celiac's because she eats some gluten (chicken nuggets from fast food, for example, or a crouton or two when we're at a restaurant), but I'm trying to be respectful of her diet and allow her to pick and choose when she eats gluten. If I served her the original recipe and didn't try to make it gluten free, I wouldn't be supporting her. (If that makes any sense!) (That's what I want to do, not what she's requiring me to do. She would eat very little if she knew it contained gluten and I'd like her to enjoy her birthday meal.)

I will make the recipe as written using oats instead of bread crumbs, then. Thanks for your help!

I don't think she has celiac's because she eats some gluten (chicken nuggets from fast food, for example, or a crouton or two when we're at a restaurant), but I'm trying to be respectful of her diet and allow her to pick and choose when she eats gluten. If I served her the original recipe and didn't try to make it gluten free, I wouldn't be supporting her. (If that makes any sense!) (That's what I want to do, not what she's requiring me to do. She would eat very little if she knew it contained gluten and I'd like her to enjoy her birthday meal.)

I will make the recipe as written using oats instead of bread crumbs, then. Thanks for your help!

Because of what you wrote in the bolded sentence, I would go ahead and use the oatmeal.  I appreciate your dedication to helping her with her diet but I wouldn't worry about the cross contamination since she voluntarily eats gluten.

If she were celiac, I would recommend getting the gf bread and making it that way.

• Like 4

FWIW, when I make GF meatballs, I use Maseca and it works out well.  (Maseca is a sort of corn flour used for tortillas.  It is GF.)

I never thought of using Maseca! I might have to try it.

I have always used oatmeal in my meatloaf as my mother did before me. I use Quaker oats recipe.

I'll have to look it up. I've never used oatmeal in meatloaf before.

I use this recipe: http://www.oursmallhours.com/grain-free-meatloaf/ Even my kids who didn't really like meatloaf back when I made it with croutons in it, love this!

Mmmm... That looks good! I think I have lots of new meatloaf recipes to try!

I made meatloaf yesterday with no fillers. Just meat, seasonings, and one egg as binder for two pounds of meat.

My standard recipe calls for 2 lbs of meat, a dry onion soup packet, and a large can of evaporated milk. It's very easy and makes a moist meatloaf (just be sure to let it sit for a bit before slicing it or you'll end up with lots of crumbles!) What kind of seasoning did you use?

Because of what you wrote in the bolded sentence, I would go ahead and use the oatmeal.  I appreciate your dedication to helping her with her diet but I wouldn't worry about the cross contamination since she voluntarily eats gluten.

If she were celiac, I would recommend getting the gf bread and making it that way.

She has gluten free bread I could use, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it. If she were celiac, I would need to make sure to avoid cross contamination in our kitchen. (Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing... might have a cleaner kitchen more often... :) )