Menu

Sick kittens :(

Slipper

Some of you may remember that we rescued some kittens that were falling out of a chimney on our property. The kittens were doing well. There were five of them and we bottle fed for quite a while (they had trouble eating canned food). The mother cat eventually brought the sixth kitten down from the chimney and set him on the front porch and left him. We brought him back and (probably a mistake) set him in with the other kittens. At that point, all kittens were doing well and the sixth one was quite bigger than the others. 

Sunday, I had to drive my daughter to camp four hours away. I stayed overnight and came back the next morning. My youngest daughter and DH were looking after the kittens and our housekeeper comes on Mondays and had promised to check in on them and also bathe them again in case #6 had brought in fleas. She called me after she left our house and told me that she thought they all had a bad case of worms and they were very sick.

When I came in, I was absolutely shocked by their appearance. Three of them had patchy fur, looked like a sack of bones with distended abdomens. Their back legs were wobbling and they had trouble moving around. #6 has stayed healthy, but even the other two looked sick. They had diarrhea. The littlest one was the sickest. I carried him around with me and bottle fed 1/2 a tbsp every hour or two for the rest of the day. He was drinking but looked even worse the next morning and his hip bones were protruding.

I took them all in to the vet. She checked for worms but didn't see anything alarming. She gave fluids to the youngest and treated the rest with antibiotics and anti-diarrhea meds. She suggested moving them off of all kitten milk products (kitten milk replacer products) and feeding them pedialyte and watered mashed potatoes. She sent us home with antibiotics and anti-diarrhea meds. The kittens did well all day Wednesday, but the littlest one was dead Thursday morning. 

My housekeeper came back in and helped bathe them all again and get the room clean (bleached out and everything thrown out and replaced). (I'm allergic to cats but I also didn't want my daughter looking after them at all at this point. She's an animal lover with high anxiety issues). They had crusty eyes for one day, but that cleared up.

This morning, the three healthy ones still look healthy, but the other two still look sickly with patchy fur. They wobble a bit when they walk and their tails are curling under like a chameleon. Their abdomens are still distended (more than I think they should be). Per the vets instructions, I have moved them all to canned cat food which they eat great. They are all trying to eat dry food as well (I keep a bowl in there for #6). They are all drinking. They all come out to greet me when I walk in their room (although #6 is a bit standoffish). 

They are still taking antibiotics (the vet suspected coccidia, but isn't sure) but off of the diarrhea medication. They will do another worming treatment next week. 

Any suggestions? I think the weaker two are just going to get weaker and die in spite of meds, vet and food/water. I'm baffled. (In other news, we caught three feral cats yesterday and had them all spayed, ear tipped and released back onto our property. We know of at least two more that we are trying to trap so I'm hopeful this is the last of feral kittens - we will only have to worry about those thrown out by idiots). 

Yes, they originally had some fleas, but that is why we were bathing them. (We've used the right soap and so on. Our housekeeper comes once a week and she does rescue for dogs and sometimes cats. I've had her bathe strays for me before.) I feel positive that there is not a single flea on any of the kittens. They are still too young for regular flea meds I think. I believe they are about 5, maybe 6 weeks old. 

I was just thinking of your kittens the other day and wondering how they were doing.  I'm afraid I don't know much about feline illnesses, but it sounds like you're doing everything you can for them.  I'd recommend that you call the vet and give her an update on their condition, if you haven't already done so. It does seem encouraging that they're all eating and drinking.

I'll be praying for the kitties. Please keep us updated.

Bless you for all you're doing to help animals! 

Yes, it was Albon. I'll give the vet a call on Monday and ask about something different. Yes, the cleaning is exhausting. I'm fairly certain that the other cats have had it since I'm not sure how they could NOT have been exposed, but I'm still cleaning relentlessly and spraying with bleach water. 

I've had kittens die for no known cause and suddenly too - it's heart wrenching. I feel for you.

My first thought was worms. And if your vet suspects coccidia, it seems like the treatment is fair. If you have to take them in again, see if the medicine is a sulfa type based antibiotic - probably it is.  

Just keep giving them food and lots and lots of water.  The sickly ones may need to be helped to eat and drink more - whatever that looks like.  From standing there to make sure the healthier ones don't eat it all  to pulling them and isolating them during feeding times.  Only don't isolate them for anything else, cats are so social and will miss their siblings if gone too long.  Also, while potato flaxes and pedialyte are great short term, make sure it does not replace any of their regular food.  

Seems like you are doing everything that you can and that you have lots of help (housekeeper, vet). Little ones just sometimes don't make it.  I hate it and still feel bad (and guilty) for each and every one that I've lost (4) out of the dozens that I've saved.

:grouphug:

• Like 2

Also, bleach may not (probably not) kill coccidia.  Try a 10% percent ammonia solution for cleaning.  Also, try using a small cardboard box (like a soda can box where the sides are only about and inch to 2 inches tall) with a little litter in it for a litter box that you can dispose of daily.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=726

• Like 1

We haven't fostered kittens in a long time but I just remembered that we were told to not use clumping litter. We used the old style non scoopable kind.

Like a pp we used disposable boxes for litter. If you have an Aldi available they are a great source for small, shallow cardboard trays.

• Like 1

The kittens are doing better! I have them mentally divided into the healthy three and the sickly two. The three are eating and drinking well. They are funny and have developed personalities. There is one gray kitty that climbs my shirt to sit on my shoulder while I give medicine to all the kitties. The two sickly ones still have diarrhea but one of them is looking a bit better. I gave another worming treatment yesterday and more anti-diarrhea meds in addition to the antibiotics. The two little ones still have enormous abdomens but I'm hoping they look better soon. Their fur is still patchy but they are eating well (and the littlest will growl if any of the other kitties gets too close while he's eating). The sickly two still are receiving baths every few days to help remove diarrhea from their fur.

They are confined to a small room and I leave a window open (even though the a/c is on as well) so they can feel a breeze coming through (not to mention some air circulation, the smell is obnoxious). I go in twice a day to feed/water them and play. I use disposable gloves and change clothes immediately and shower when I finish with them. I have a separate broom, dustpan and swiffer (and the broom/dustpan will be trash after this) that I use for cleaning. I also use clorox wipes and an ammonia based cleaner (not at the same time!) to wipe floors and walls while they eat. 

Tomorrow is their last day of antibiotics. The gray one is going to a friend of ours and he will probably pick him up early next week. The other healthy two will also go to their new homes next week. The sickly two will stay with me for a bit longer and possibly another vet visit just to make sure they're doing well. Everyone who has claimed a kitten knows that they haven't been well since I'm not sure if they will/can carry this to their new home. 

This has been a royal pain in the backside, but I'm proud of the fact that we've struggled through with it. We live way out in the country and people drop off animals all the time. We've always prided ourselves on our ability to take in animals and find good homes for them. This has been a challenge, but we're slowly capturing all the feral cats and tagging them. We've been surprised at how kind other people have been to us and have received a few donations of pet foods and supplies once they saw that we were serious about taking care of the animals that are dropped off. Even our vet has been awesome (although she laughed when she saw me with six kittens since she knows of my allergies). Our last visit (including meds, IV treatments and exam) was $63. 

I'm feeling really good about three and very hopeful for the other two. :) 

• Like 7