Menu

Job Skills for Young Adults?

emzhengjiu

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  My older daughter will be graduating next year.  She's a solid student and intends to continue her studies at a university.  She'll have to work during the summers and possibly during the school year.  I want to help her obtain job skills that might lead to better paying student jobs, but I'm having a hard time listing specific skills.  So far, she and my younger daughter will be learning Microsoft Office 2013 this summer.  Both girls know the basics, but I want them to learn in greater detail.  Both girls have good work ethics and are used to interacting with the public in volunteer positions.

The current job market is so different than it was when I was in school many years ago.  I work, but it's in a customer service type position.  What other job skills can be learned quickly and might lead to better jobs?

My very short list:

Microsoft Office Suite

The main thing about student jobs is showing up on time, reliably for every shift, dressed for the job, working the entire shift and getting on reasonably well with her coworkers.

It's largely all just life experience and on the job training.

10-key is a good skill to have. Touch typing as well. Being able to drive opens up some job possibilities.

• Like 5

Any computer skills are a plus.  

My college age dd has two rather out of the box jobs right now.  

One, she teaches circus tricks to school kids in a low-income area.  Skills:  willingness to be silly, being able to deal with troubled kids, being trustworthy, and showing up on time.

The other is a library page.  She volunteered there for several years, so when the job opened up, she was a shoe in.  Skills: willingness to do menial tasks, the ability to alphabetize (a skill strangely lacking in people these days), and a knowledge of the catalog system.  

CPR/first aid training is a bonus for all three of mine in childcare jobs.  

• Like 2

Great topic. Putting some thought into this and thinking about a bit of training can open up some good options. I agree any office skills or computer skills can be helpful. Soccer refereeing can pay well. I've also seen students who are interested in pursuing careers in nursing or medicine, work to get their EMT certification right after high school. There can be a little investment in time and money in that training but it can really pay off in a job that pays more than the average student job. Here are a few more ideas.

• Like 1

Know how to use an office telephone - proper answering, distinct speaking, how to put someone on hold and get them back again, how to transfer a call, etc.

Be sure to dress appropriately for the interview - no short shorts, ragged faded jeans, etc.

Know SS#, without looking it up, for the application.

• Like 1

The main thing about student jobs is showing up on time, reliably for every shift, dressed for the job, working the entire shift and getting on reasonably well with her coworkers.

It's largely all just life experience and on the job training.

I agree.  Be willing to WORK while you are at WORK.  It is not a social time, time to check your phone, etc.  Someone also mentioned being willing to start at the bottom and work up.

• Like 2

It sounds like you are wanting higher paying, non retail jobs.

Office is expected. This is not something that is even listed much anymore as it is so expected.

For many internships here is a short list:

Be able to write a memo,

a press release,

an offical email,

a blog post,

a social media posting for an organization (not personal that is yotally different in style),

create a flyer,

grant writing experience helps,

Research and interview skills also help

Be able to work effectively as a personal assistant: take direction, show mild initative, complete tasks with specifics thoroughly, schedule appointments and be able to manage a schedule with appropriate time gaps

These are all business skills. They do not help much except for that specific field. What do your daughters want to do?

I mean, anymore 70 percent of college is just making connections for later work. You either make them and make them well, or you become a grunt and hopefully work your way up. There are a thousand people getting degrees.

• Like 1

I've become convinced that getting jobs in college often requires having had jobs in high school. It seems you have to have had that first crappy job and been successful (kept it for a whole season or several months and left without being fired) having had that first job proves you can show up on time, you will work when actually at work, will follow through with expectations employer lays out.

Microsoft Office is expected of most office jobs. Having it may not get you much more than minimum wage initially, but getting in the door may make other opportunities available, either within the company or for applying to the next job.

Certifications in lifeguarding and WSI pay more (a lot more) than office jobs in some areas and may, if one sticks with it, offer opportunities as a manager or supervisor. Being able to say one has been in a supervisory position can be important to getting other jobs in other fields. So, don't overlook typical student work that doesn't look like a long term career.

So, get the first job and keep working. If opportunity presents to get certifications to land a higher paid position do it. When you narrow down career fields look for certifications that will get you a foot in the door in those fields. For instance in some fields GIS certifications are popular. If that is used by some in a career interest area start taking GIS classes as soon as you can.

• Like 2

These are great ideas!  My older daughter has a part-time job now handling social media for a non-profit and both my girls volunteer for various organizations.  My goal is to provide the the skills / knowledge to have options while they are in college and later of course.  Unfortunately for my rising senior, lifeguarding and such are out.  I realized last night that both girls would be great tutors and tutoring pays decently.  At least, I think it does. 

I've become convinced that getting jobs in college often requires having had jobs in high school. It seems you have to have had that first crappy job and been successful (kept it for a whole season or several months and left without being fired) having had that first job proves you can show up on time, you will work when actually at work, will follow through with expectations employer lays out.

This!  

My dd had the hardest time finding a job because she had NO experience.  Even her extensive volunteering didn't seem to help at first.  Now that she's landed two jobs, we've told her to hold on to them and work her behind off.  She finally has experience to add to the resume, and references that she's a hard worker.  

Literate, socially skilled people that show up for work everyday and WORK are apparently in short supply these days.  One of her jobs is staffed primarily by college kids.  She's only been working there for a few weeks, but she's already been called in several times to cover for other people.

• Like 1