Menu

Multi-age audio books

My kids are 6 to 14 and we listen to audio books. We were listening to Gregor the Overlander series, but I stopped because it became too intense for my youngest. 

We've listened to a lot of books. Throw some ideas at me. 

I have gotten suggestions from previous threads, but wanted to start yet another as I find someone almost always suggests a new book I hadn't heard of before. :) 

Previous books that they loved:

The Hero's Guide series

Farmer Boy

Secret Benedict Society

Box Car Kids

It probably depends more on the children's interests than actual age in finding audio books that click with everyone. 

My gang and I are enjoying and have enjoyed:

- Ramona and Beezus and lots of other Beverley Cleary books on tape (Stockard Channing makes great voices!)

- The Phantom Tollbooth  (I'm killing myself laughing while listening to this because my dh is a public servant and lives this nonsense everyday - poor, poor man)

- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

- The Cricket in Times Square (has music for the cricket's songs!)

- Charlotte's Web with E.B. White reading - love his accent! Makes the book come alive

I think our favorite audio books were Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and Starry River of the Sky, both by Grace Lin.  We all enjoyed them thoroughly (even DH and I).

The kids and I have spent the last few months listening to all the Little House books in the car.  All three of my kids (5, 7, 10) enjoy them.

• Like 1

It probably depends more on the children's interests than actual age in finding audio books that click with everyone. 

My gang and I are enjoying and have enjoyed:

- Ramona and Beezus and lots of other Beverley Cleary books on tape (Stockard Channing makes great voices!)

- The Phantom Tollbooth  (I'm killing myself laughing while listening to this because my dh is a public servant and lives this nonsense everyday - poor, poor man)

- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

- The Cricket in Times Square (has music for the cricket's songs!)

- Charlotte's Web with E.B. White reading - love his accent! Makes the book come alive

We love E.B White's books and have listened to them all. 

So you enjoyed The Phantom Tollbooth on audio? I kind of figured it would be read in book form.

We enjoy the books that have been made into Disney movies like -- 

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (who knew it was written by Ian Fleming of James Bond fame?)

Mary Poppins

Pippi Longstocking

Swiss Family Robinson

I've heard 101 Dalmatians is great but we haven't done that one yet. 

Also:

Five Little Peppers and How the Grew

Little Women 

Chronicles of Narnia series spans all the ages

Island of the Blue Dolphins and other Scott O'Dell books

Freckles and other Gene Stratton Porter books can span a wide age

Cheaper by the Dozen

Kate DeCamillo books are great -- Because of Winn Dixie, Tale of Despereux, Flora and Ulysses, and many other award winners

I think there will be times that you may need to target the older and the younger will just glean what s/he can OR target the younger and let the older just listen to a great story. Even I enjoy a great children's story.  

Also look at those on the Newberry Award list. Those are generally all great books, though the