Menu

And now lets talk reading.

How many of you buy a reading curriculum/program vs just picking good titles to go through and free reading. I keep going back and forth between VP, MP with the reading schedule and guides or just picking great books to read on his own, to me, and then whatever for free reading.

This is my first time ever teaching reading and I'm using a reading program. We use a free phonics resource I found online, and leveled readers for practice.

For me the extra convenience of knowing exactly what to read and when to read it is worth every penny of the reading program.

Until this coming year, I mostly just used good books with an occasional lit unit from MBtP for variety. Starting in August, we'll be using LL7, since DD is getting to the age where more formal literature analysis makes sense to me.

How many of you buy a reading curriculum/program vs just picking good titles to go through and free reading. I keep going back and forth between VP, MP with the reading schedule and guides or just picking great books to read on his own, to me, and then whatever for free reading.

Once my dc knew how to read, I let them free-read. I also read aloud to them from good books, one chapter a day, right after lunch.

I try to balance between free reading and some chosen literature. I don't think a reading program is necessary once they can read. As long as kids are reading, it seems like nearly all of them are designed to suck the joy out of enjoying literature. We try to talk about what we're reading. This year, we are doing three books together and have been doing one meaty short story a month, which we discuss as a special poetry tea and sometimes I have them do a few reading questions before that to be ready for discussion. That's all new this year for fifth grade for us.

• Like 1

I do not use a program past learning to read, and for that I'm super-duper picky.

I use CM's methods for reading and narrating.  We discuss and, honestly, my dc go far beyond what most literature guides/programs require for their ages. If I gave them a program, it would take all the fun out of the equation and dumb down their thinking process.  

Once my dc knew how to read, I let them free-read. I also read aloud to them from good books, one chapter a day, right after lunch.

I have seen a lot of people say they read one chapter a day lately. I couldn't bear that. About two to four chapters is my minimum unless they are insanely long like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

• Like 1

We don't use a literature program.  We make weekly trips to the library and also have a collection of books at home.  I will take out titles that I believe will pique their interest.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I also take out science and history readers.  This year we finished our program early, so I have been requiring them to read a science or history book a couple times a week during quiet time.  Otherwise, I don't assign reading selections, I let them pick their own. 

We attempted to use a lit guide once.  The only thing I appreciated was the vocabulary section, as it gave me a chance to define words before we started reading.