Menu

Successful Morning Routines

I am looking ahead to this conference in July and wanted to hear how others organize their morning.

We all know morning success can really motivate and set the path and tone for the rest of the day.

What has been successful, and what has not been successful for you and your kids?

http://wtmonlineconference.com/sessions/how-to-create-a-strong-foundation-for-the-long-term-success-of-your-homeschool-and-life/

My middle child is a later sleeper, and some days really needs that extra snooz time. I'm trying to work that aspect into our morning, maybe starting with the older and younger first and just do the subjects we cover together later on in the morning.

My little ones use a visual chart with velcro check-marks to start their day, regardless of when they wake up.  The charts change as the kids learn more, so once they consistently remember to brush their teeth, I switch that out for something else.

My older ones are still responsible for the same items, but they have internalized the process so I no longer need the charts.  I use an inspect-regularly/inspect-irregularly system.  

The links are for basics, but we use the same process for our school work.  

I have pain in the mornings so I need time for my body to unwind and I need all the rest I can get so I am not in a rush in the mornings.  However, my kids are up and they have a list of things they must accomplish before school, which we call the 7 B's.

1. Bathroom (wipe down toilet and sink, get trash out, etc.)

2. Bedroom (including bed)

3. Blessing (this is their assigned chore(s) in the living areas of our home including kitchen, dining room, family room, and porches)

4. Breakfast (including vitamin)

5. Body (get dressed and wash hands, shower if needed)

6. Brush (teeth and hair)

7. Buddy (most of them have a little buddy to help with and/or an animal to feed)

We don't start school until 12:00 and we go until 4:30.  Then they do an hour and a half of reading at night before bed (though they work up to this amount.)  

They are allowed to play after their 7 B's are done and periodically I inspect or run through the list to make sure they didn't forget anything.  This routine works really well for our family and I love having a leisurely morning to get myself prepared for school.  I also put my toddler down to nap right before 12 so we start with some quiet.  And they must be full when we start at 12.  I do let them have a quick snack from 1:00-1:30 while I read aloud and they draw, but it can't be anything messy or complicated.  

• Like 3

We have a nightly list.

Kids:

Pick up all toys, clothes, books

Refill water bottles

Pick out books

Feed dog

Mom:

Clear & wipe all surfaces (piano, bookshelves, desk, 2 tables, dresser, nightstands, kitchen & bathroom counters, microwave, fridge)

Brush, floss & hose down children

Dad:

Do dishes & load dishwasher

Straiten shoes & coats

Take garbage & dog out

Because of this list we wake up to a perfect house every morning. Because we do the list everyday it only takes 5 minutes.

• Like 1

After some trial and error, I've discovered that we do best if we don't start right away.  The kids wake up around 7:30 and play quietly in their rooms until I come for them around 8.  (I need some boot-up time in the morning.)  We all head to the kitchen and have breakfast, then they clear their dishes and get dressed/brush teeth.  After that they are free to play until 10 while I do a bit of cleaning and prepping for our work.  For whatever reason, that seems to be the perfect amount of time.  If we're up earlier, then we all feel ready to start earlier.  If we're up later, it just doesn't feel right to start until we've had about 2 hours up and about.

At 10, we gather around the kitchen table with a snack and some quiet activity (cars to drive, coloring, etc.).  I read aloud for about half an hour while the kids munch and play and listen.  Then we move into our together-subjects, and we end with independent work.

• Like 4

It varies by season, but typically it starts with my chores. I've got laundry to start, dishes to unload and put away, chickens to feed, dogs to walk, cats to feed, etc. Currently that chore list includes making sugar water for the swarm-hives at least once a week and watering some plants.

Breakfast is next. 

Since it is summer, and the only weather worth being out in happens in the morning, I do my housekeeping while the boys play outside, read, write or draw. In the fall, I usually do my self-education stuff in the morning before school. Right now I'm doing it in the afternoon.

School, however, usually follows the same routine regardless of the season. I get Latin and Math done first. School has always started between 8:30 and 9:00.

We have a flow chart of choices for the morning. Mostly it's just did you brush your teeth and so forth, but a few of them are to determine if you need to shower or clip fingernails or other tasks that aren't quite every day.

After that, it's just when I get up, we start school. Or, if I have morning yoga, they know to check their assignment books and start when I leave or when they get up and not later.

• Like 1

After some trial and error, I've discovered that we do best if we don't start right away. The kids wake up around 7:30 and play quietly in their rooms until I come for them around 8. (I need some boot-up time in the morning.) We all head to the kitchen and have breakfast, then they clear their dishes and get dressed/brush teeth. After that they are free to play until 10 while I do a bit of cleaning and prepping for our work. For whatever reason, that seems to be the perfect amount of time. If we're up earlier, then we all feel ready to start earlier. If we're up later, it just doesn't feel right to start until we've had about 2 hours up and about.

At 10, we gather around the kitchen table with a snack and some quiet activity (cars to drive, coloring, etc.). I read aloud for about half an hour while the kids munch and play and listen. Then we move into our together-subjects, and we end with independent work.

Yeah. This is pretty much my routine except there is no independent work yet.

My little ones use a visual chart with velcro check-marks to start their day, regardless of when they wake up.  The charts change as the kids learn more, so once they consistently remember to brush their teeth, I switch that out for something else.

My older ones are still responsible for the same items, but they have internalized the process so I no longer need the charts.  I use an inspect-regularly/inspect-irregularly system.  

The links are for basics, but we use the same process for our school work.  

I love love LOVE that chart! Please come to my house and make me one!  Pleeeeasee!

• Like 1

We are the opposite of some of the others.  We are much better off if we get started earlier, but we are all early risers.  We'll see if that changes as they age.  Right now, everyone is usually up by 7 or so.  We have some iPad time and then eat breakfast.  They have a to-do app on their iPad that is their list of morning chores.  We like to get started with school around 8:00 or 8:30.  If we start later than that, they're grumpy for no apparent reason. :) 

We use charts similar to Plink's above, and it has been well-worth the effort in making them and training the kiddos to use them.  Our charts incorporate school subjects as well as chores, so while my dc are not working on school independently yet, I'm working in the direction of greater independence.

My oldest is not a morning kid either;  our best morning routine this year has been completing LA/Math with my Kindy and 1st grader before we even eat breakfast.  I wake, shower, and eat my own breakfast, then teach Kindy and 1st grader (while they sip on herbal tea and I have my coffee… a real treat for them and nice way to start they day.)  Then when we hop into breakfast mode and chores and nursing baby and shaking my oldest  out of his morning stupor, it's encouraging to me to know that SOME school has already been accomplished.  My oldest then meets with me from about 11-1pm for LA/Math.  Then lunch and group activities (like science and history and read-alouds) in the afternoon.  

Our morning routine....

Breakfast

Morning chores: we have a week-about rotation so everybody gets good at everything ;)

Together time - we meet together for Bible/memory/sing/read/discuss. This is the foundation of our day right here.

Work time: I usually start working with younger school aged, then they do independent work...interspersed with preschoolers and helping those that need help.

Together again for lunch.

Even though I have teenagers I'm pretty stict about making them get up and going in the morning to come for breakfast on time. I've tried letting them set their own pace but it means that breakfast, and therefore morning chores, dribbles on for half the morning and some can't do their chores (ie: clear table, wash up etc) because 3 kids haven't eaten yet etc etc. Also, it results in a lot of wasted time while some wait for others so we can start. Anyway, I kind of figure that getting up and organized is a life skill so I keep at it. Most of them are good at getting up and going - 12yo struggles - but we are getting there :) .

For us, having that together time in the morning is the centre of our day. We have various other activities, appointments, rehearsals, jobs, visitors etc happening all over the place so reading, praying, singing, talking and more reading together to start with is more than valuable.

Anyway, that's our morning routine.

I love love LOVE that chart! Please come to my house and make me one!  Pleeeeasee!

LOL  

It is super easy to make, but I'd be happy to customize one for you.

What do you need on it?  I can put it together and e-mail it to you - you'll just have to get it laminated and stick on the velcro yourself.