Menu

Latecomer... can I do this?

I have a 2nd grader with gifted iq but you wouldn't know it. She seems super sluggish across the board, has weak foundation skills and is behind in every subject. She's not learning disabled, but is a "slow processor". Is classical education poorly suited for slow, poky processing students? Is it more for sharp-as-nails types? I want this to work, but are we barking up the wrong tree...?

Thank you for responding. I feel a little desperate to move things in a good direction. She has had a complete psychoeducational/neuropsych. I only got the verbal from the psychologist and not the written. He said: no learning disabilities, strong verbal, slow processing and weak fine motor. High iq, though not crazy high. About 135. But if she were in public school they'd have her in a resource room in 2 secs flat. We are working well and she is very creative, but basic skills are all hard won.

Thank you for responding. I feel a little desperate to move things in a good direction. She has had a complete psychoeducational/neuropsych. I only got the verbal from the psychologist and not the written. He said: no learning disabilities, strong verbal, slow processing and weak fine motor. High iq, though not crazy high. About 135. But if she were in public school they'd have her in a resource room in 2 secs flat. We are working well and she is very creative, but basic skills are all hard won.

I have an adult child who has a very similar profile.  He was a very strong student.  He just needed more time to complete his assignments b/c he needed to really think through and organize his thoughts.

If she has been in school, I would not jump feet first (or head first) into full blown academics.  At her age she really doesn't need full days anyways.  I would take several months to de-stress from a school environment and get used to being home.  I would spend lots of time reading books, exploring outside/museums/zoos, etc, play lots of games, etc.  

When you start 3rd grade, keep it simple.  Cover all language arts areas (spelling, reading, writing), math, read stories from history, read books on science topics and call it a day.  I have been homeschooling for over 20 yrs and it is still all I do with my 3rd graders.  But for a child coming home and adjusting who has additional issues to overcome, I would definitely not overwhelm the student or the teacher by trying to do too much.

• Like 5

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Agree with the above that I would definitely ease into academics this year.  Work on core materials (math and reading/language arts) daily, but maybe in short bursts.  You could do 20-30 minutes of math in the morning and the same in the afternoon.  I would consider doing mathy, fun games on Fridays.

How well does she read independently?  Maybe you could do a read aloud each morning and again in the afternoon or at bedtime, but just let her have downtime to read on her own (if she reads well independently) whatever she chooses at some specific point each day.  Let it be her downtime and yours, too.  If she is not reading at grade level, then maybe work on reading skills separately but see if she does well listening to audio books for her down time.

You might post on the Learning Challenges board for ways to help increase processing speed.  

Ask her what SHE wants to learn about.  Find topics of real interest to her and help her research.  Go to the library and check out books.  Watch a documentary.  Encourage fun discussion.  Let her take it as deep as she wants.  If she doesn't want to do tons of output for this, don't make her.  Help her see how learning about something can be truly enjoyable.

Is she participating in any outside activities?  Does she have areas of interest that tie to a particular skill set she could work on?

• Like 1

I would reiterate not expecting a lot of output that requires writing, and trying to inject some fun. Interest-led in anything you can swing (other than maybe math or something like that, but you never know!). 

Consider eye and hearing evaluations. The eye evaluation should be with a COVD doc if at all possible (developmental optometrist). 

I have gifted + some other stuff (ASD/ADHD/SPD) with one and gifted + ?, but definitely low processing speed (single digit percentiles!!). It's hard to move frozen molasses, lol! One thing that has helped him is working on intrinsic hand strength and core muscle development. He had some OT for this, and we continue at home. He is overall low muscle tone, and that comes with an energy deficit, I think, from trying to stay upright and use muscles that don't have as much oomph. We try to do some things in the morning that arouse his attention state and physical awareness (something quick, even an iPad game that is fast). He needs motion to wake up his whole system. 

The Bright Not Broken podcast from the Coffee Klatch radio network is has some archived shows (both podcast and internet archives) about slow processing. It's about 2e kids in general, with a spectrum-y focus, but there are a lot of shows about other issues as well.

• Like 1

Thank you again for all the incredible advice!! These ideas are all fantastic and useful. Thanks for being such a committed community. I'm actually taking notes!!!! It would be funny if it weren't so important! SO glad I joined. Hope I can offer the same so someone else some day.

• Like 2

Classical style teaching can be done with a wide spectrum of students. The basic idea is you teach in three stages. Grammar stage, when they do copy work, dictation, memorization. Logic stage (around 5/6th grade) when you start having deep conversation with your child and start introducing them to how to look at things logically. Some people actually start logic as a subject. Rhetoric is high school and is when they can debate topics and effectively communicate. Stages are not set in stone and you can slow down or speed up. Your child might be ready for socratic discussion at 7 or not till 11. Also most people pull things from different approaches. Blending traditional, charlotte mason, unit studies or other teaching style. In fact many people don't even agree on what true classical education is. I pulled my daughter's out of public school and I feel like my first year was a lot of on the job learning. A lot of it is figuring out what works for you and your specific child. Good luck!!

Got a very similar kid (+ADD). We do lots of work orally (I read/she reads, she narrates, we chat). I do things in short bursts (20 minutes tops) and focus on language and math. Not too much writing. Only do one hard thing at a time (SWB). Never hurry, never stop (Dr. Suzuki). I do find the less "subjecty" visions of classical education better for my kids-see The Circe Institute talks and blogs.

https://www.circeinstitute.org

Also, Charlotte Mason-type approaches tend to work well-less writing, more reading and chatting and pondering at your leisure, which works well for the child who needs to think things through. Miss T will often come tell me a month later about some amazing insight into a book or character. Just don't try to get it on a timeline. 

• Like 1

Some gifted kids are 2E(twice exceptional). My 2E second grader was barely talking in full sentences, but had an IQ so high it wasn't testable with some tests.

Some kids are just late bloomers. Sometimes those late bloomers are BIG bloomers.

I had one of each of these types.

The great thing about homeschooling is you can do what ever you want and need to do.

Honestly, sometimes, "classical" is a title more for mom than the kid. It's okay to pick a style that attracts YOU and then tweak it for your kid. If and when your kid starts self-eduating, it's important to match the style to the kid, but as long as YOU are the instructor, match YOUR style. Even if you are teaching ONE student, homeschool mom is a career and you get to choose YOUR career. Within reason of course.  ;)

If YOU want to be a "classical" homeschool mom, then you definitely get to do that, with every kind of kid.

• Like 1

If you search "Waldorf" and "Ella Frances Lynch" you will find lots of threads here about slower starts. Those threads won't be entirely classical, though, as not everyone at this forum is entirely classical.

I have chosen to fully embrace my savage tendencies and wouldn't call myself "classical" anymore.

You are new and haven't seen my picture for this year to remind me NOT to try being a wannabe. 

Top-Hat1.jpg

• Like 1

If you are coming out of the schools, you might need to shore up basic skills before jumping into classical. Also, if there was sight word teaching or leveled readers, you may need to do some nonsense words to undo guessing habits with reading. Here is a quick phonics review and check with links to assessments and more extensive remediation if needed, all free to print:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

For math, I would use the Adam K-7 from letsgolearn to ID math areas that might need work. For $20, you get assessment and a bit of free remediation with Kahn Academy, but it is just a start, I would recommend more extensive work for any areas that are below grade level.

After a few months working on fixing gaps, you can add in more things, add in grammar and more extensive science and history. I would read aloud a bit of science and history that is enjoyable and interesting while doing the tough but necessary work of fixing gaps.

You will be able to make it work, and you might be surpised how things can change once the basics are well taught.

I wanted to add that one of my daughters that I pulled out of school was, according to her teacher, at the bottom of her class. She was behind in every area - writing, math, spelling, grammar. I had her evaluated and was told she has adhd. I don't know what her IQ was but the Physiologist that tested her said he she was very smart and had tested high on IQ. After pulling her out and working with her for 1 year she had caught up to her grade level. Now she is ahead of her grade level. She needs to be able to move, tap, stand at her desk, hum etc. She also needs me to remind her to keep going when she starts to daydream. Conversations about history or science topics stick much better than having her read. Watching my daughter who I kept hearing was so behind, slow and a problem in class bloom and excel in every area of school has blessed us beyond words. Classical is just something that resonates with me but really tweaking how I teach and molding things to fit HER is what has helped us the most.

• Like 4

So many thanks for caring enough to advise. We are easing in and keeping an eye on the inspiration and engaged feeling. 

I greatly appreciate the strategies, the 2e info, the "never hurry, never stop" and embracing savage-me over wannabe! Beautiful, beautiful women here!!!!!

• Like 2

So many thanks for caring enough to advise. We are easing in and keeping an eye on the inspiration and engaged feeling. 

I greatly appreciate the strategies, the 2e info, the "never hurry, never stop" and embracing savage-me over wannabe! Beautiful, beautiful women here!!!!!

:grouphug: