Menu

New Person!

Hello All,

I'm new. My husband and I have recently made the decision to take our 3 1/2 year old son out of Montessori to home school him. This will be his last month at the school so I'm trying to get myself together and do some research so we can hit the ground running. 

I know he's only three, but I've noticed that things I had taught him BEFORE he went to Montessori have now been lost: namely numbers and the alphabet. I taught him those when he was around two and now he doesn't remember most of it. While I DO think Montessori is great for teaching respect, community and providing good structure in the day, I feel that in our case it's not focusing on what I consider fundamentals. Just because he's three doesn't mean he can't learn more than what they typically teach. Not to mention he hates going : (

So I've made a list of what I want to teach and plan on using the "Learn and Grow" book for fun, fine/gross motor skill development interspersed with the usual math, english, etc. I'm also going to be teaching Latin as well. 

I'm very excited about this endeavor and can't wait to see my son flourish academically. I don't believe in "waiting till he's older" to do and try new things. Of course I know he's only three so I'm not going to be pushing him or anything. I plan on doing things in 15-20 minute increments and alternate between fun and more challenging subjects. 

If anyone has any suggestions or input, I'm open to anything and everything. 

I look forward to getting know ya'll!

-Jennifer

• Like 1

Hi! I used to say I was a fan of waiting, but my child is such a fan of tearing up my plans that I've switched to an earlier schedule. Still, at 3, I planned 10 minute blocks and was happy to go beyond them when my child wanted.

RightStart Math is a great blend of Montessori methods and Asian math programs. We used Level A without my daughter even knowing there was a "math book".

Once my daughter knew the majority of letters, it took about three viewings of LeapFrog's Letter Factory and she had all the letters and sounds down. It was miraculous. From there, she moved into Bob Books and learning to read while cuddled together on the couch.

And I think 3 is a great age to introduce the Magic School Bus science kits that are available through Amazon. They're a great blend of very basic science and fun.

I hope you have a lot of fun teaching your child!

For that age I love the books "Picture Book Activities" by Trish Kuffner and "Games With Books" by Peggy Kaye. They give you ideas of books to read and activities to accompany them. For example, one of the books used in "Picture Book Activities" is "Curious George". It gives a list of things to notice as you read (like how George's expressions change each page), some questions to discuss together (like What does it mean to be curious? and to talk about a time you have been curious.), a balloon painting craft, a project to make pretend binoculars, and games to play such as animal charades, follow the leader, and George (Simon) says. It talks about using the book to practice colour skills, counting, and animal identification. It provides a rhyme/finger play for Five Little Monkeys. It lists a snack to make (banana pops), and gives enrichment activities such as finding Africa on a map, making up a new ending to the story, reading a nonfiction book about monkeys, discussing telephone etiquette, etc.

• Like 1

Hello! I regret teaching the names of letters before the sounds they make. Look into different methods of teaching reading before you jump in. Or don't. ;) Just a thought.

Yes, that.  I DO think Montessori does teaching letters very, very well, by focusing on the sounds, not the names.  With my second and third, we taught the sounds.  (Only the basic ones, not every sound a given letter can make.)

Thanks, Wendy!

After looking up all those programs, I feel completely overwhelmed. : /   At this point, I'm just ordering a bunch of stuff to try out and see how we do. Since DS is only 3, I'm just trying to have fun with it and see if anything sticks. 

Yes!  Have fun!  The most important thing you can do for your child is inspire a love of learning.  WAAAAAY more important at this stage than drilling in facts and figures.  Keep that love of learning alive and the later years will be much easier.  Kill it and learning becomes drudgery to avoid.  

Keep structured sessions short, as mentioned above.  If your child craves more, that's fine.  If they get antsy and want to move on, then do so.  Do LOTS of read alouds.  Expose him to concepts, stories, grammar, vocabulary, etc through rich literature.  

Keep things interest led as much as you can at this age.  Ask your son if there is something he wants to learn about.  Maybe make that something you do daily for 10 minutes or so.  Explore something he specifically has expressed interest in, even if it is carpet fibers or dog poo.  Look up some info and write it down for him in a notebook.  Draw a reference picture next to it so he can remember what you researched.  Write in big, clear print so it will be easier for him to decode on his own once he starts reading.

And good luck!  How exciting!

Ooo, good idea, Slache! I'll look into the conventions.

So. much. fun. I've been told people spend too much at them so be weary about that. I believe all I got was geopuzzles, cuisionare rods, and colored pencils. This time I'm getting the RightStart games, Classical Conversions stuff, and Developing The Early Learner. I'm broke so I can't over buy. ;) Bring a bag, get a catalog from every vendor and you can drool over them until the next convention. It's convention season now so look it up. I'm going on the 19th and 20th of this month in Portland Oregon.

• Like 1