Menu

Activated my new credit card and unauthorized charges

Tohru

Some one please tell me how this is possible so I can avoid it from happening again.

I just got a new card in the mail 3 days ago and used it online at:

Insect Lore

Abe Books

Kiwi Crate

Green Kids Craft

I paid Verizon through my phone.

And I gave the card number over the phone to some one to pay for a local class.

Well, today there is over $2,700 worth of unauthorized charges! I am shocked and not sure how this could happen. The card never left the house, and I only used it at those few places I've bought from before.

I called the merchant of the unauthorized charges and thankfully they are cancelling the sales, however both the credit card company and the unauthorized merchant had a different address and phone number for me.

Could this be a computer glitch at the card generation level or did some one hijack my card information? If so, how?

The different address and phone number make it sound like maybe a glitch on the end of the credit card issuer. We've had our number stolen more than once, but never had issues with the address/phone number being changed.

• Like 2

Yes, they're sending a new card. We cancelled this one as lost/stolen to prevent any more unauthorized charges.

If it was a computer glitch on their end and the number was given to two different people, they will be getting a call from another outraged person soon who won't be able to use their card.  But you can't not cancel yours because it could have been hacked.  

• Like 2

I would not give my credit card information to someone over the phone to pay for a class. That you did that probably has nothing to do with your situation, but I would not do that.  I probably would not pay for a class with a card, unless it was a very large school and I did it in person or via their web site. We pay for the courses for DD with a credit card on their web site.  We are careful where we use our credit cards.  

I would not give my credit card information to someone over the phone to pay for a class. That you did that probably has nothing to do with your situation, but I would not do that.  I probably would not pay for a class with a card, unless it was a very large school and I did it in person or via their web site. We pay for the courses for DD with a credit card on their web site.  We are careful where we use our credit cards.  

But, remember that in the US you're only responsible for the first $50 in unauthorized charges and I've never heard of a cc company even charging that to a user.

I prefer that someone have my credit card info rather than my checking account info to avoid fraud with my bank account which would affect me directly not the cc company.

Nobody in suburban America pays large sums in cash. I wouldn't want to carry several hundred dollars nor would a dance or TKD school want to receive that. In fact, a benjamin will make people wonder if you're a secret drug dealer or something. ATMs give out 20s, you'd need quite a sheath to pay for a semester of dance or swim team dues or whatever.

• Like 2

Some online merchants do not ask for the CVV (security) code on the credit card. The names don't need to match exactly either. My first name is two words with no middle name. But transactions has gone through even when my first name don't match what is printed my card.

It could be a glitch or a hack. Either way canceling the card and getting a new number is the safe way to go.

I have given my credit card number on the phone once for my kids music class. The billing lady on the phone is someone I have paid over the counter to plenty of times so I was comfortable doing it over the phone. Luckily no fraudulent charges crop up.

• Like 1

Since the merchant had a different address/phone #, but under your name, sounds like hacking to me. The hacker took your acct info, but placed an order with the merchant to ship to a different address. Many places will let you pay via CC and enter a "gift" address to ship to. My friend's physical card was stolen and they ordered hundred's of $$ of shoes to be shipped to another state as a "gift" address. (They had her DL also so knew her billing address).

If the merchant had a different name also, then I would think mistake on the CCs part.

• Like 1